Happy Talk! discussion

Music! > Classical Music

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 240 comments Mod
We seriously need this thread for Tez to have somewhere to be insanely geeky to provoke intellectual musical discussion.

So, uh, yeah. Talk about instrumental music, which is more often than not loosely defined as allegedly "classical", which bugs me because seriously Krzyztof Penderecki is not classical. And nor is Banchieri.
But I digress. What are you listening to?Are you digging any particular composers at the moment? Are you playing anything interesting/aggravating/particularly awesome on an instrument traditionally regarded as classical/baroque/whatever in one way or another? Am I going to be the only one who posts in this thread?

Have at it.

Elliott Alicia  | 14 comments I adore instrumental music! :D

For my piano recital this year I'm playing:

Six Variations
on the Duet
Nel cor piu non mi sento
from the opera: La Molinara by Paisiello

Composed by Ludwig Van Beethoven

It's really hard, but extremely fun and I'm in love with it. (I'll hate it by recital time though.)

message 3: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (last edited Jun 27, 2011 09:05AM) (new)

HOLST IS AMAZING. HE DEFINITELY COUNTS.

The Dance of Spirits thing is kind of boring, but The Planets is just way too cool.

message 4: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (last edited Jun 27, 2011 09:07AM) (new)

Lav [rather fall in chocolate than fall in love] wrote: "I adore instrumental music! :D

For my piano recital this year I'm playing:

Six Variations
on the Duet
Nel cor piu non mi sento
from the opera: La Molinara by Paisiello

Composed by Ludwig V..."

Nel Cor Piu <3 I approve of this.
It's totally suckish when you start playing a really awesome piece but you have to do it to death because of an exam/concert/whatever.
Like in string ensemble we've been playing Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor. It's so pretty but I can't stand to listen to it after playing it >.< The bass line bored me to tears.

Elliott Alicia  | 14 comments Thank you. :3
I KNOW! It is, because then the song gets ruined and you can't play it anymore after the thing is over.
Ah, that's frustrating. :P

message 6: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

~Yue~ [Down the Rabbit Hole] wrote: "T e s n i wrote: "HOLST IS AMAZING. HE DEFINITELY COUNTS.

The Dance of Spirits thing is kind of boring, but The Planets is just way too cool."

Dance of the Spirits? o.O Okay, I'm obviously cl..."

He wrote a set of orchestral pieces called Dance of Spirits of Earth, Dance of Spirits of Fire, Dance of Spirits of Air, etc.

message 7: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

the Planets are awesome. :D

message 8: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) I had to play The Planets in band once and teacher played the tape and he was like "Now, I know you will never be as good as the tape..." and I was like "I don't like you."

message 9: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 101 comments I like...music. :) olo I don't actually know how to spell the guy's name, it's like Dvorjac or something. I love his...music. Gah. I should know if they're symphonies or not! How many music classes and courses do I have to take before I learn?!

message 10: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

Kenny wrote: "I like...music. :) olo I don't actually know how to spell the guy's name, it's like Dvorjac or something. I love his...music. Gah. I should know if they're symphonies or not! How many music classes..."

Dvořák :-) He wrote lots of different bits and pieces; among other stuff nine symphonies, 4(?) concertos and some operas. Unfortunately, not many of them are still shown in contemporary theatres/concert halls D:

message 11: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

Autumn [if life was a game] wrote: "I had to play The Planets in band once and teacher played the tape and he was like "Now, I know you will never be as good as the tape..." and I was like "I don't like you.""

I am totally crushed when I listen to professional recordings of pieces I'm playing.
Or, even worse, when I'm listening to a random 8-year-old prodigy on YouTube play pieces I couldn't get five bars in to.

message 12: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 101 comments T e s n i wrote: "Kenny wrote: "I like...music. :) olo I don't actually know how to spell the guy's name, it's like Dvorjac or something. I love his...music. Gah. I should know if they're symphonies or not! How many..."

Well there we go. :) Thanks. My cd is burned, so I can't tell how to spell it from the person's handwriting. I don't remember which ones I have, but I love them.

message 13: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) T e s n i wrote: "Autumn [if life was a game] wrote: "I had to play The Planets in band once and teacher played the tape and he was like "Now, I know you will never be as good as the tape..." and I was like "I don't..."

Exactly! But then he had to ... say that and it made it worse. He was supposed to lie and say "YES. YOU WILL BE LIKE THIS ONE DAY."

message 14: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (last edited Jun 29, 2011 08:59AM) (new)

Kenny wrote: "T e s n i wrote: "Kenny wrote: "I like...music. :) olo I don't actually know how to spell the guy's name, it's like Dvorjac or something. I love his...music. Gah. I should know if they're symphoni..."

I approve. He is way too cool. All Czech people, as a general rule, are entirely cool.

message 15: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

Autumn wrote: "T e s n i wrote: "Autumn [if life was a game] wrote: "I had to play The Planets in band once and teacher played the tape and he was like "Now, I know you will never be as good as the tape..." and ..."

~Yue~ [Down the Rabbit Hole] wrote: "T e s n i wrote: "Autumn [if life was a game] wrote: "I had to play The Planets in band once and teacher played the tape and he was like "Now, I know you will never be as good as the tape..." and ..."

I KNOW D: It makes me feel like such an underachiever.

message 17: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

OH NO D8

message 18: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) I'VE LISTENED TO SARAH CHANG BEFORE.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

message 20: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

Autumn wrote: "I'VE LISTENED TO SARAH CHANG BEFORE."

*Hands gold star*

message 21: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

SKitts/Cassie [swimming through sick lullabies] wrote: "*absolutely dies*"

*listens*

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

T e s n i wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [swimming through sick lullabies] wrote: "*absolutely dies*"

*listens*"

Pretty shmazing, yes?

message 23: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) T e s n i wrote: "Autumn wrote: "I'VE LISTENED TO SARAH CHANG BEFORE."

*Hands gold star*"

Yay! :D

message 24: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

SKitts/Cassie [swimming through sick lullabies] wrote: "T e s n i wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [swimming through sick lullabies] wrote: "*absolutely dies*"

*listens*"

Pretty shmazing, yes?"

Though I haven't heard the original song, that is rather awesome.

message 25: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 101 comments T e s n i wrote: "Kenny wrote: "T e s n i wrote: "Kenny wrote: "I like...music. :) olo I don't actually know how to spell the guy's name, it's like Dvorjac or something. I love his...music. Gah. I should know if th..."

Huzzah. :P Glad you approve. I'm sure you know more about classical music than I do.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

T e s n i wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [swimming through sick lullabies] wrote: "T e s n i wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [swimming through sick lullabies] wrote: "*absolutely dies*"

*listens*"

Pretty shmazing, yes?"

Thou..."

Would you like to hear the original song?

message 27: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

SKitts/Cassie [swimming through sick lullabies] wrote: "T e s n i wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [swimming through sick lullabies] wrote: "T e s n i wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [swimming through sick lullabies] wrote: "*absolutely dies*"

*listens*"

Pretty shmazing..."

Hmm, I suppose. *Youtubes*

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

What did you think?

message 29: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

I really like it :-) I've never heard The Killers before.
Also, the music video is cool.

message 30: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

O.o

I can't even get five bars into this piece because I'm so fail at tremolo. But there's a random child in Korea who can play it at eight years old?

LIFE'S NOT FAIR.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

T e s n i wrote: "I really like it :-) I've never heard The Killers before.
Also, the music video is cool."

THE KILLERS ARE AMAZING.

That is one of my all-time favorite music videos.

You get 20 cool points for liking.

message 32: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

Cool points! :D I don't have nearly enough.

However. BACK TO THE CLASSICAL.

Baxter gave me a link to this the other day. 'Tis pure Chopin and Lizt awesomeness.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, Baxter. XD

message 34: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

I know xD

Also he gets bonus awesome points for liking Krzyztof Penderecki, who's like the most intense and twisted and mind-blowing composer of the last century, and We by Yevgeny Zamyatin and La Jetee and Metropolis and Stalker, all of which are my favourite books/films respectively.

Oh Gosh. Do I really have that much in common with Baxter? What does this say about me? O______o

message 35: by Mitch (new)

Mitch (i-am-not-real) | 192 comments *chuckles*

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

T e s n i wrote: "O.o

I can't even get five bars into this piece because I'm so fail at tremolo. But there's a random child in Korea who can play it at eight years old?

LIFE'S NOT FAIR."

Ugh. Not another ridiculously talented child. Just another thing to make me feel insignificant in life.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

T e s n i wrote: "We seriously need this thread for Tez to have somewhere to be insanely geeky to provoke intellectual musical discussion.

So, uh, yeah. Talk about instrumental music, which is more often than no..."

David Lanz. Christophori's Dream. Look him up.

*leaves the room, then returns to scream--*

DAVID LANZ!

*--before leaving again*

message 38: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

Maxy wrote: "T e s n i wrote: "We seriously need this thread for Tez to have somewhere to be insanely geeky to provoke intellectual musical discussion.

So, uh, yeah. Talk about instrumental music, which is m..."

I'm listening to it now. So far IT'S SO PRETTY. *dies* I wonder if it's on iTunes.

message 39: by Tesni, step aside, Buster (new)

*squee*