The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > Any Nook owners out there?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chuck DiRaimondi | 5 comments I just bought the new Nook and wanted to know if there were any other members of the group who owned a Nook and would want to be friends? I haven't purchased any books yet but would be willing to use the LendMe feature to lend/borrow books with fellow fans of the group. Let me know. Thanks!

message 2: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 50 comments Hi Chuck, I have a classic Nook, but unfortunately I don't have many books on it. I also have a Kindle and use my Kindle much more than my Nook. I bet that new Nook is really slick isn't it? I haven't seen one in person yet. Like I said, mine is the original Nook and it feels heavy compared to my Kindle, that's the main reason I use my Kindle more. Is this your first ereader? You'll be hooked for sure!

Chuck DiRaimondi | 5 comments Hi Patricia. Yea, this is my first ereader. My wife is a big reader and bought a Kindle. She absolutely loves it. I like the new Nook. I'm a fan of the touch screen smart phones and liked the fact that this had a touch screen. The only downside to it is that the Kindle has a larger fan base and thus more people to share books with, especially if you go to one of the book lending websites. I'm not a huge reader, but I do love my mystery, crime and thriller books. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that by now owning an ereader, I will be reading more often.

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 50 comments I definitely think you will be reading more, now that you have an ereader, most people find that to be true. I've always loved reading, but nothing like I do now that I have ereaders. I never watch TV any more, I'd rather read. I've read 65 books since January 1st of this year!

message 5: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 27, 2011 09:38AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Your local library likely has books for your Nook.

Looking at overdrive.com, it says the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library is a participant.

message 6: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments Chuck, congratulations on getting a Nook. I have both a Nookcolor and a Nooktouch and love them. I have lots of lendable books, including crime fiction. PM me your email address and I'll add you as a Nookfriend. I also have a separate shelf on Goodreads that shows my lendable books, so feel free to take a look.

Chuck DiRaimondi | 5 comments Dorie,
You aren't accepting messages. My email is charlesd81@gmail.com

message 8: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments Thanks for telling me that, Chuck. I didn't realize I had my account set like that, so I've corrected it. I'll email you an invite in about 5 minutes.

message 9: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 129 comments Hey! I have a Nook Color and I love it. Here is my email address: VeraN2@aol.com

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Bennett (httpwwwgoodreadscomKathyBennett) | 8 comments I have a Nook color too. I love to read on it, but I don't have as much time to read as I would like.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

The first of my 5-ebook series "The Raker Chronicles" was released yesterday at www.digi-tall-media.com, and is half-way thru the 48 hour wait for Kindle, then on to 20 other venues.

Why did my publisher giggle when I asked her today if Book I:Hidden Agendas was also going to be put on that Nookie thing?

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol | 152 comments I have a Nook color and I love it. I'm tempted to get the new Nook as well just as a back up and to use for travel. I left my Nook at my brother's house and he's mailing it back to me this week.
I am interested in lending and borrowing books as well.
I'm not sure my Nook is set up for lending yet. I just downloaded the new version with apps.
I have some lendable books and I'm starting a lending shelf on Goodreads.
I see that a lot of people lend epub versions. Does anyone know how to convert books from the "Nook version" to the epub version? That's a trick I need to learn.

message 13: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments I have the Nook Color and love it. I use it for e-books, games and the Internet,and there is an app for GR which is great. Have not done any book sharing yet but would be willing.

message 14: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments Carol wrote: "I have a Nook color and I love it. I'm tempted to get the new Nook as well just as a back up and to use for travel. I left my Nook at my brother's house and he's mailing it back to me this week.
..."

There is a "Nook Color for Dummies" book out that tells you how to do everything with your Nook, including converting books. You may want to check that out (not calling you a dummy, BTW!)

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Bennett (httpwwwgoodreadscomKathyBennett) | 8 comments Gatorman;

Thanks for the info. I always get some new electronic device and learn how to do the basics, but never get into what the item can really do. I may check out 'Nook Color for Dummies.'

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol | 152 comments Gatorman wrote: "Carol wrote: "I have a Nook color and I love it. I'm tempted to get the new Nook as well just as a back up and to use for travel. I left my Nook at my brother's house and he's mailing it back to ..."

Thanks! I will do that! No offense taken, Gatorman!

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris I just joined the group a couple minutes ago. I have had a nook color for a couple months now and love it. I have lent close books now and have not had in problems.

message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 129 comments Kathy wrote: "I have a Nook color too. I love to read on it, but I don't have as much time to read as I would like."

I know the feeling. I do most of my reading commuting to and from work. I work in Manhattan, NYC and live in Queens, NYC.Traffic is horrendous, so I take the subway.

message 19: by Jan (new)

Jan (yamobthere) | 4 comments Well I too got a nook color when they first came out, but I can't seem to get wi-fy where I live, I am in a little valley, so the Barnes & Noble where I purchased it was also having a lot of trouble with their wi-fy, the only place I could go on line was at Starbucks, well I am a care-giver 4 days a week, sometimes more, so I didn't have enough time or I wasn't by myself when at Starbucks, so I traded my color in for the next step down, it has 3g so I can order new books on line, but the color nook is so much more friendly, they should come out with both the wi-fy and 3g, I really miss my color nook, but I stil use my nook but will be looking around for something to satisfy all my needs.
Read on.

message 20: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice They do have a nook that is 3g and wi-fi. It's just not a color one.

message 21: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 125 comments I just recently bought the the Nook Touch to replace my 1st generation Nook that I sold to a friend. I absoultely love it. I didn't end up getting a Nookcolor cause I don't need all the other apps cause thats what my phone is for. I would love to share books with anyone who would like more nookfriends. I have alot of mystery books to lend out for its my favorite genre.

message 22: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 3 comments I bought the Classic Nook wifi on July 1, 2010. Loved it so much I bought the Nook Color this past May and gave the old Nook to my husband. I joined ebookalliance.net and have not looked back. Gave almost all of my hardbacks to the local Friends of the Library.

message 23: by Meera (new)

Meera Sherri wrote: "I bought the Classic Nook wifi on July 1, 2010. Loved it so much I bought the Nook Color this past May and gave the old Nook to my husband. I joined ebookalliance.net and have not looked back. G..."

Sherri- can you give an idea of what kinds of books you can download from that site? I took a look but you can't see what books are offered.

message 24: by Meera (new)

Meera Sorry to say this Sherri but ebookalliance.net looks like a fraudelent site. I did some quick research and I came across this discussion - http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/re....

I had wondered how you could download unlimited books when most new ebooks you buy aren'ts meant to be shared and the only way that can happen is if the site is going against copy rights.

message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments Chuck wrote: "Hi Patricia. Yea, this is my first ereader. My wife is a big reader and bought a Kindle. She absolutely loves it. I like the new Nook. I'm a fan of the touch screen smart phones and liked the fact ..."

Hi Chuck, it's close to a month since this post, and I hope that you are using your Nook more. B&N does give a free book every Friday, hopefully you already know about that. There is also a couple of Nook groups here on Goodreads, I am a member of 2 and the one that is most active is the Barnes and Noble Nook Group. You should wonder over and check it out. I have the 1st edition Nook and seriously thinking about getting the Nook Touch as well. Love my Nook!!!

message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments So, all you Nook owners should take a look at joing Barnes and Noble Nook Group. A lot of the members there lend books to each othe all of the time and they are also looking for Nook Friends. Come on over and join the gang.......

message 27: by Jan (new)

Jan (yamobthere) | 4 comments I started out with the nook color, but because I didn't have home wi-fy, traded it for a nook with 3g, I did take a few of the classes offered by B/N, but I am finding that I should take a few more, the color nook was a much friendlier version, with more bells and whistles, but I still enjoy my nook, maybe an upgrade in the future, lots to learn, but I enjoy the work.
Read on.

message 28: by Donald (new)

Donald Grant (drdon1996) | 123 comments I have a nook, my wife has a kindle, enjoy it and have quite a few books, hoping big name authors will soon lower price of ebooks, anything over 9.99 is a rip off, my email drdon1996@gmail.com

message 29: by JT (new)

JT (jtishere) | 5 comments Linda, what's the official name of that Nook Group?

message 30: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments Here is a link to the B&N Nook Group, if you want to check it out:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

message 31: by JT (new)

JT (jtishere) | 5 comments Thanks, Dorie! Just joined!

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I have an IPad but use the Nook app. Although if the kids keep stealing my IPad I am getting myself a Nook :)

message 33: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments Oh, JT, Sorry, I didn't see your post, glad you decided to join!!

message 34: by JT (new)

JT (jtishere) | 5 comments No problem!

message 35: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments Sherri wrote: "I bought the Classic Nook wifi on July 1, 2010. Loved it so much I bought the Nook Color this past May and gave the old Nook to my husband. I joined ebookalliance.net and have not looked back. G..."

Love your profile pic. Go Gators!