Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Winners! Jacquelyn Frank Giveaway!

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Jun 27, 2011 07:40AM) (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Today at Speaking of Audiobooks, we're giving away two sets of the first two books in Jacquelyn Frank's Nightwalker series - Jacob & Gideon. We're also taking a look at July Audio releases in romance and reviews are up for Nalini Singh's Kiss of Snow and Karen Rose's You Belong to Me.
http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=6654

AND we are talking with Xe Sands about her preparation for narrating the Nightwalker series - fun stuff!

And don't forget the Favorite Romance Audiobooks Poll - only two days left!
http://www.likesbooks.com/AARkittycat...

message 2: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Thanks so much for the opportunity! FWIW, I'll be checking in on comments on the column throughout the day and up for answering any additional questions y'all might have.

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Oh goodness - I forgot to mention one of the best parts about the column today - comments from Xe! I've edited the above post to include my interview with Xe.

message 4: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Just wanted to say thanks to all who participated in the column this week - what a wonderful way to connect with some of you!

And if there was a question/question that wasn't addressed or that you didn't want to post publicly, please feel free to message me on Goodreads, or email me at voxology(at)xesands.com.

Have a lovely holiday weekend, all!

message 5: by Kaetrin (new)

Kaetrin | 93 comments I have a question I'm hoping you can answer Xe. If you're narrating a book and there is a continuity error, are you ever tempted to "fix" it? :)

message 6: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Kaetrin wrote: "I have a question I'm hoping you can answer Xe. If you're narrating a book and there is a continuity error, are you ever tempted to "fix" it? :)"

Great question, Kaetrin. There are times when I am sorely tempted to fix all sorts of things, but unless it is a very obvious typo, not my place to make those calls. The author made his/her choices when writing the book and I have to honor those choices. Only time I ever "corrected" something was when I was recording a book for simultaneous release with the print version. There were one-word continuity errors that fell more in the camp of typos than anything else, and when we checked with the author, they confirmed the errors and authorized the changes.

Has this come up for you when reading or listening to audio?

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen White (karenwhiteaudiobooknarrator) | 145 comments I'll jump in on this one, too, as it actually comes up a lot for me - from obvious "typos" as Xe talked about to character names changing. I try to reach out via the audio publisher to either the editor or author (if I don't already have that relationship) to let them know and see how and if they want to change things. In one series, a character was described as a tenor in one book and a bass in the next. Because I was taking character notes, I let her know about it. And in another book, two characters were having something to drink, and it changed from Coke to something else partway through the scene! Finally, in a book I am working on right now, a small character's name changed part way through the book. Editors and authors have almost always been happy to get this info as they can often making changes for at least the 2nd printing, if not the first. I think because we read out loud we are able to catch these things.

I would be interested to know if there are listeners who catch errors, and if it is distracting to you. I have heard a few page turns when listening myself, and have been scandalized, but when listening I don't think I've noticed textual errors.

message 8: by Kaetrin (new)

Kaetrin | 93 comments Fortunately, most typographical errors (homonyms) don't matter on audio (who care's where the apostrophe is on audio?) but where there is a continuity error I do tend to pick it up. I know that I'm a terrior for detail and accuracy so I think it would drive me nuts if I was working on something and knowingly put errors in - just as well I'm not a narrator!

message 9: by Kaetrin (new)

Kaetrin | 93 comments @ Xe - is Dorothy perhaps commenting on the AAR thread with the Jacquelyn Frank giveaway? The threads have similar titles but different locations. I checked and there is something from a Dorothy posted there.

message 10: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Kaetrin wrote: "@ Xe - is Dorothy perhaps commenting on the AAR thread with the Jacquelyn Frank giveaway? The threads have similar titles but different locations. I checked and there is something from a Dorothy ..."

Was the oddest thing...as soon as I posted that comment here, her comments showed up - like magic! Even stranger is that she posted the last one on 6/30, but I didn't receive email notification of it, nor did it show up in the comments section until yesterday morning. But it's all good now...it appeared and I was able to answer her questions.

message 11: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments Speaking of July releases, SHAMELESS came out on the 2nd, I think, and DEMON at the end of June. For some reason the first Kristina Douglas is under Paranormal and the second is under romance. They're both very much romance.

message 12: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Jul 06, 2011 10:48AM) (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Congratulations to Nichole and Diane for winning the two book sets of the Nightwalker series!

message 13: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Krissie - I'm listening to Shameless right now!

message 14: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments Cool, Lea. Hmm -- I think I posted in the wrong topic. Mea culpa -- I'm on a different computer.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Congratulations to Nichole and Diane for winning the two book sets of the Nightwalker series!"

;-) I can't wait to start the first one!

message 16: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Krissie wrote: "Cool, Lea. Hmm -- I think I posted in the wrong topic. Mea culpa -- I'm on a different computer."

This was the right place for July releases - I changed the title a minute after you posted (hadn't seen your post yet) to announce the winners.

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments I am so glad I waited before buying the download from Audible. :)

message 18: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Nichole ~Bookaholic~ wrote: "Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Congratulations to Nichole and Diane for winning the two book sets of the Nightwalker series!"

;-) I can't wait to start the first one!"

Many thanks to AAR and SOA for hosting this interview and giveaway, and to all the commenters and listeners who made it such an eye-opening and engaging experience! Very grateful...happy listening!

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments I've read the books but I'm really looking forward to listening to them.

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Jacob and Gideon arrived today, YAY!!!! I'll start Jacob as soon as I finish listening to A Clash of Kings. :)

message 21: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Yes! Tantor discovered that both were available for shipping at the same time. I didn't want to spoil the surprise!

message 22: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Yes! Tantor discovered that both were available for shipping at the same time. I didn't want to spoil the surprise!"

That's great news!

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Thanks so much Lea! It was a wonderful surprise to see both cd's in the box. :)

message 24: by Xe (last edited Jul 13, 2011 12:40PM) (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Would love to hear what you think, Diane. Enjoy!

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments My CD's arrived today...and have started Jacob....so far am enjoying...Thanks again for the contest ;-)

message 26: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Please give us an update soon Nichole!

message 27: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Good to hear, Nichole! Can't wait to read your thoughts.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments I am about 1/2 way through and am enjoying the audio more then I did the book.....I tried to read this one last year and actually could not make it past the first couple of chapters....it did not catch my interest right away and my mind kept wandering as I was reading. The audio/narration has pulled me in...if I could get away with listening at work I would have it finished by the end of the day....

message 29: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments That's great to hear, Nichole! So very glad that you're enjoying the listen :)

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments Xe wrote: "That's great to hear, Nichole! So very glad that you're enjoying the listen :)"

Xe you did an awesome job on the narration for this...I really enjoyed the book...I will be starting Gideon (Nightwalkers Series #2) by Jacquelyn Frank after I finish Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison

message 31: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Nichole ~Bookaholic~ wrote: "Xe wrote: "That's great to hear, Nichole! So very glad that you're enjoying the listen :)"

Xe you did an awesome job on the narration for this...I really enjoyed the book...I will be starting [boo..."

Thanks so much for the feedback, Nichole! I really appreciate you taking the time to check in after listening. Gideon is a more cerebral guy, so the the passion is much more controlled (until it isn't, of course ;) Be interesting to hear what you think of it compared with Jacob

message 32: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments I finished A Clash of Kings today and will be starting Jacob next. :)

message 33: by Xe (last edited Jul 16, 2011 08:01PM) (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Diane wrote: "I finished A Clash of Kings today and will be starting Jacob next. :)"

Yay! I think it's neat that Gideon arrived with Jacob...then if you like the first and crave more, you can dive right in :)

message 34: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Xe: I totally LOVE your voice!!!!! I think I would enjoy listening to you read the dictionary or the phone book.:) I'm 6 + hours into Jacob and loving it. You've done a wonderful job with the character voices. I'm so glad I already have Gideon waiting for me. :)

message 35: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Aw Diane, thanks! Your feedback made my day - am thrilled that you are enjoying it and are looking forward to Gideon :)

message 36: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments I read this book last year as well and while I finished it and read the next couple of the series they were just alright and kind of filler for me between books. I got the audio and definitely enjoyed the audio version better than my reading experience. Thanks for the great narration Xe!

message 37: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Vic wrote: "I read this book last year as well and while I finished it and read the next couple of the series they were just alright and kind of filler for me between books. I got the audio and definitely enj..."

Thanks, Vic! A director and narrator I respect recently wrote that the audio version should bring something additional to the reading experience, not merely duplicate it. So glad I was able to do that for you.

message 38: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments You did it for me too, Xe. I loved these books when I first read them but listening to your narration has brought them to life in a way that reading can't do. Like I said in a previous post, I love your voice(s)! :)

message 39: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Diane wrote: "You did it for me too, Xe. I loved these books when I first read them but listening to your narration has brought them to life in a way that reading can't do. Like I said in a previous post, I love..."

That is simply lovely to hear, Diane! We always hope to bring a new dimension in with the audio. Here's hoping you enjoy Gideon just as much!

message 40: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments I finished Gideon today and am having withdrawals. :)