The Last Witchfinder The Last Witchfinder discussion

Life story of the woman who fought to abolish witchfinding in the 1700s

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Probably the most difficult book I've read with lots of literary, historical and scientific references. For me, these references spoiled the story and got in the way. It seemed as though the author was showing off his knowledge and/or research done in order to write the story.

The format of the book was unusual. It had funneling concatenations throughout, switching from the story-telling element of the book to 'the book' itself (Newton's book) communicating with you the reader. This was the most difficult to grasp but became easier with continued reading. I haven't read James Morrow before but, again, I think he was trying to be clever. Whether this format is new or not, I didn't think it was necessary.

So much of the book's content went right over my head. Nevertheless, I have learned a lot about the subject and the main character who must have been a remarkable woman.

message 2: by Brimate (new)

Brimate this book looks interesting. it reminds me of a book i just read, called Holder of the World by Bharati Mukherjee. It has a strong heroine in the colonies, England, and India. It doesn't sound nearly as difficult or complex, but it's a nice story. Just thought you might be interested.