Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Fireworks...yay or nay?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, we have another ancient thread in which we addressed fireworks, but the thread also addresses cheese and monster trucks (God bless America), let us start a new one.

Here's a link to the old thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

But...fireworks? Yay or nay? Good fireworks experiences? Bad?

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Don't buy them on my account.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Yay!

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11629 comments Organized shows, with big explody things choreographed to music, yea.

Neighbors with Whistling Petes and bottle rockets, nay.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Same here. Omaha area is crazy with fireworks. On the 4th, if you scan the horizon, there are roman candles going off full 360.

message 6: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Love fireworks, yay. We are the annoying neighbors with the Whistling Petes and Bottle Rockets. Sorry Phil.

Although I'm glad I don't go to the family reunion semi-legal fireworks shows we used to do every year. Alcohol and fireworks are a bad combo, and the police are almost guaranteed to show up. Last time they stuck around and let my family set off all of the fireworks and didn't give any warnings, which was pretty cool.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I like watching the big fireworks display downtown from our hill. We don't get the noise but we get the lightshow, and all the neighbors turn up. Not so big on dealing with the giant crowd downtown, or the traffic afterward.
And I've never cared for home fireworks. Too noisy.

message 8: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments In the last few years I have discovered I like igniting fireworks. Yes, I'm the half-drunk lady sticking rockets in the snow.

message 9: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Yay for fireworks - the bigger, the better.

message 10: by Farrah (new)

Farrah Yay for fireworks. Nay for the doped up 16 year old who tried to light one off at the end of my block and ended up with 3rd degree burns and a few less fingers.

message 11: by Meels (last edited Jun 27, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

Meels (amelia) We have a LOT of folks in our little neighborhood who compete every year with the big mortars. I don't actually buy any, but we sit out on our front lawn and enjoy the show. :I

So, yay. When I was a kid, that was a "YAY!!!!", and probably still would be if I had any kids. If I had kids I'd buy them some.

As for stories: Growing up we went down to my grandparents' beach house every year for the 4th of July (Seaview Washington). One year I was over visiting a little old lady friend of my gran's with her, we came home to find the fire department at the house. My cousin Danny and his buddy Rocky had been having a "bumble bee" (a firework that is meant to spin in circles changing colors on.the.ground.) fight. One ended up in a tree. They started throwing pillows up there to "beat" the fire out. Yeah, the pillows just stuck up in the tree and burned as well.

Asses were beat. Conveniently they did not burn the weeping willow gran used to obtain her switches...

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) We got one of these in our multi pack a few years back.

[image error]

message 13: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Gross.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
Yay yay yay.

message 15: by Brittomart (last edited Jun 27, 2011 03:45PM) (new)

Brittomart Question: Since the 4th is on a Monday, are the big town/city fireworks displays gonna be on Monday as well?

Last year there was some controversy (if you can call it that) because the smallest town that has the best fireworks didn't do anything because it was on a Sunday, and apparently this town has a rule (law?) that only allows the fireworks on the 4th, but they wouldn't do it on Sunday because they didn't think people would show up for it.

message 16: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11629 comments People in the state of Utah are unlikely to ever have fireworks on the 4th if it falls on a Sunday. Sometimes they'll even do them on the 3rd because they don't want to force people to be out past midnight on Saturday (officially Sunday).

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) janine wrote: "In the last few years I have discovered I like igniting fireworks. Yes, I'm the half-drunk lady sticking rockets in the snow."

Only half drunk?

I had a friend who blew off a couple of finger nails with a cherry bomb while inebriated. He just held it in his hand and stared at it as it exploded.

Dumb.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24154 comments Mod
I used to adore fireworks displays when I was younger and would be extremely upset if we missed them for some reason. Now, shrug. I think there are fireworks that go off every weekend in Chicago, so the bloom is off the rose. But I really just don't care about them anymore regardless. They too often seem to be mixed with drunken rowdiness, crowded smashed expanses of lawn filled with crammed-together blankets, overcrowded public transportation, etc.

message 19: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I just knew before my window even opened that Sallers was gonna be a "yay". :)

message 20: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Larry wrote: "janine wrote: "In the last few years I have discovered I like igniting fireworks. Yes, I'm the half-drunk lady sticking rockets in the snow."

Only half drunk?

I had a friend who blew off a co..."

When you get past the half drunk mark it starts getting dangerous. At least half drunk I know I need to keep a distance.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "I had a friend who blew off a couple of finger nails with a cherry bomb while inebriated. He just held it in his hand and stared at it as it exploded..."

::sigh:: It is because of idiots like that, that fireworks are banned to the general public in Australia

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

Is Mandatory doctor visits and no fireworks?
uAustralia is boring!

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Doesn't that just express the entire difference between America and a lot of the rest of the civilized world? Yes. Mandatory free doctor visits and no fireworks. I would trade the "freedom" to pay for doctor's visits and blow off my hands for that.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep. The government just hasn't worked out how to ban snakes,spiders, sharks & crocodiles. I know they are working on it.

message 25: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Outside, yay. Inside, nay.

message 26: by Lori (new)

Lori Phil wrote: "People in the state of Utah are unlikely to ever have fireworks on the 4th if it falls on a Sunday. Sometimes they'll even do them on the 3rd because they don't want to force people to be out past..."

Every time you write about Utah, I am so puzzled as to why you live there. It is so not you!

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

It is BEAUTIFUL.

message 28: by Lori (last edited Jun 29, 2011 10:45AM) (new)

Lori Oh and well choreographed (?) public fireworks with music are orgasmic. This. The Statue of Liberty 1986 Centennial day began with a tour of the Intrepid. Then the Flotilla of big ships, fighter jet show, and oh then The Fireworks.

A video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xWEdV...

Noisy non-visual explosives around my home, feh.

Amelia, that is awesome. A good show in the comfort of your house!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Someone should explain to Bun's dog that he isn't a horse. He appears to be confused.

message 30: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I HATE them... I hate them, I hate them, I hate them with every fiber of my being.

Yes, I used the H word.

message 31: by Meels (last edited Jun 29, 2011 01:06PM) (new)

Meels (amelia) Gail «Cyborg» wrote: "::sigh:: It is because of idiots like that, that fireworks are banned to the general public in Australia"

This, for some reason, reminded me of an episode of some "stupidest videos" show where there was some Aussie dude driving his car in traffic to some popular camp site and the cops pulled him over, because his car was smoking. When they opened to bonnet it was due to the fact that he had packed a bunch of stuff in there around the engine, including propane bottles for his camp stove. Some of the bags had caught fire...uh... He said he ran out of room in the boot.

Americans:

Bonnet=hood
Boot=trunk

Bun, my cats kinda freak out as well. We just make sure they're inside (lured by piles of cat treats) well before dark and lock the cat door.

message 32: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11629 comments Lori wrote: "Phil wrote: "People in the state of Utah are unlikely to ever have fireworks on the 4th if it falls on a Sunday. Sometimes they'll even do them on the 3rd because they don't want to force people t..."

Sometimes I wonder, too. But if the people of the state are ever to join the bigger outside world, they need people like me to help bridge the gap.

message 33: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments You must feel like you are constantly pissing into the wind.

message 34: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I love fireworks shows! I am going to the Rockies game on Sat night with a big show afterwards. My sister lives in a more rural suburb and the neighbors pitch in for fireworks. Someone makes the drive to Cheyenne, WY where you can buy any fireworks legally and then they have a big blockparty. It is fun!

message 35: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Fireworks shows, YAAAAY! Canal Park had a wonderful show when Mom and I took my nephews to a ball game.

White-trash neighbors compensating for something, NAY and also please sell your house and move.

Bun, I am loving the mental picture of Deor trying to climb into your lap!

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments My neighbors are scaring my cat already and it's only the 3rd! UGH!

I love fireworks, but the last few years I haven't bothered to go to any displays.

When I was about five we were up on a hill watching the fireworks and they had mounted police there. One of the horses freaked out and ran into the crowd, causing a riot of people trying to get away. We were looking down on it all and it was really scary.

message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

...the professional fireworks display is an exercise in pomposity, aggression, triumphalism, and hubris. The pyrotechnician—and, more importantly, his patron—intends to ornament the night sky beyond the powers of God himself.

No way were all men created equal. According to some of the country's top statisticians, exactly half of them are below average, and that is the segment of the population most likely to get too excited about fireworks. Other species highly intrigued by bright lights include moths and venison. Hearing people hoot lustily at a crossette or chrysanthemum, I assume that they are the same sort who lined up at bear-baiting pits back in the day and, in modern times, watch Howie Mandel reality shows.

From "Fireworks really suck," Slate.
http://www.slate.com/id/2221978/

message 38: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) jeez! taking things a bit too seriously.

message 39: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I guess I'm below average then, oh well. :)

message 40: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 250 comments Yay for organized fireworks put on by professionals--or at least semi-ro groups who know what they are doing. The lights and colors are great!

Nay to heighbors whose firewrorks are just loud noise and no pretty lights!Like it's not already noisy enough in our area....

message 41: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments We had friends put on a wonderful fireworks display last night. But I'm sure his neighbors weren't as thrilled.

message 42: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments My neighbors really get into it too. Although it just started raining pretty hard. I wonder if it will stop before the professional displays are supposed to start. I hope so.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I like fireworks shows, especially if I'm close enough to not just hear the fireworks, but FEEL them. At Ft. Lewis, they alternate fireworks with blasts from howitzers. Lots of big BOOMS, it's awesome!

The not-so-fun part is getting off the base afterwards. Traffic, bleah!

message 44: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Oh yeah! I love the feel of them too, Jackie. I also love jets especially when I can feel the vibrations right to my core.

message 45: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments Fireworks on tv are weird.

message 46: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) what Jackie and Janice said!