Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company! discussion

Weekly Poetry Stuffage > Week 86- (June 28th- July 4th) Poems --- Topic: Liberty DONE

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam (adam_hartfields) Hi this is in the style of Banjo Patterson... and is my attempt to liberate the wonderful story of Pelmulway the Rainbow Warrior of the Darug Tribe in the Sydney region... mentioned in military dispatches he fought the British for 4 or 5 years...

Pemulway the Rainbow Warrior

Capt’n Starlight, Bluey & some odd assorted folk
Walked the tracks to Sydney town to see a certain Bloke They pounded the streets, looked around every corner and spire They even climbed the harbor bridge till they could get no higher.

And some said they had met him, and some said they had seen him here and there. Some even thought they had heard the name… But no matter where they looked… it always turned out the same. So the call went out far and wide from starlit night to Dry-blue day We are looking for a certain bloke who answers to the name of “Pemulway.”

Now the man from Snowy River, famous throughout the land Came down from the Kosciusko Hills with a sturdy looking band They lashed their cracks and whipped the sun burnt sand… from the desert to the shore But even the man from Snowy River said he could think of nothing more

Next came Ned Kelly a certain sort of chap much maligned But only he could travel to those dark places deep inside the heart and deep inside the mind.
But would you figure it, for all that open space, He could find no hide, nor hair, not even a single trace…

Then came Peter Allen whose songs had rode upon the wind and vibrated with the very air But even Peter Allen had to admit… he could not find Pemulway anywhere

Last came Steve Irwin he said Crikey mate I’ve talked to every crocodile from here to the bloody gate I spoken with the cockatoos the currawong and the crow
But as for that “Pemulway”… they all say they just don’t know...

And finally when all was lost and everyone gave up in despair They came acrossca black-fella relaxing in a chair They all drew up close together, some sat upon the porch Some hung out of windows and stood upon the fork… of an old gum tree And finally someone plucked up the courage and shouted out hey,are you… Pelmulway?

The Black fella raised his head with a grim but happy smile Cried out yeah mate, but why don’t you just wait here a little while See my true name is the rainbow warrior and I own this bloody land And when I died… I died fighting as a free man when they laid me underneath the sand So the next time you start writing songs of all the things you done, Don’t forget about me mate I was here before it all begun…

So we all stopped for that little while and talked the evening into the day We listened to his dreams and Pemulway told a pretty good joke… We really got on well you see, he’s just that sort of bloke… But when last we saw him… “Pemulway” was walking into thin air… He flew into the clouds, and jumped onto a rainbow some where way out there…

And if you want to see him just look up to the sky The next time you see a rainbow it’s probably Pemulway just passing by…

message 2: by S (last edited Jul 02, 2011 07:47AM) (new)

S Lawrence (salawrence) | 90 comments We pause on each memorial day
to honor veterans and those passed away
Men whom sacrificed and died
Constrained in patriotic pride

In freedom we now humbly stand
And Reside within this nations span
Giving thanks to those who gave their all
So a free nation we may this call.

But there are those with in this land
Who with our beliefs do not contend
They’re rather set on our demise
And our free nation they despise

This nation’s strength comes from within
Instilled deep within its citizens
Ready to stand with valor and pride
And together defend it side by side

Weather from abroad or from within
If degradation should begin
We’ll stand with purpose and resound
To overcome and bring them down

We’ll fight to help protect our land
As together we will stand
And honor those who served before
So freedom rings forevermore

SA Lawrence

message 3: by M (new)

M | 11047 comments Unchained
by M

Why is it I am free and yet
my freedom seems a waiting grave
of echoed sighs this former slave
once knew, who prayed that he should get
release from such bondage at last,
swearing that if he did, forever
his heart would be free, that never
would he love as in the past?

Why is it I’m unchained and yet
these later, carefree hours bring
a heart-chilling remembering
of her, of sunsets on a lake,
things said I can’t seem to forget?

message 4: by S (new)

S Lawrence (salawrence) | 90 comments intersting and somewhat depressing ode to lost love. The key elements are present, however, It leave me looking for more insight to her, and the longing of the relationship lost. This could be extended somewhat to pull in readers a bit more.. Great job though M

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

M, I love it. To me, it's perfect the way it is. It channels a lonely feeling, a feeling of slight regret and wishing. I like the line 'heart chilling remembering' and 'his heart would be free/that never would he love as in the past'. Good job, M :)

message 6: by M (new)

M | 11047 comments Stuart, I've intended to get back to this thread, but keep getting distracted. Thank you for reading and commenting on "Unchained." You're exactly right. There isn't much to it, I'm afraid. I wanted to have something in the contest but didn't have time to write anything, so I cheated and pulled one from an old file. Revisiting it, all I can say is, the girl in this poem is one I'm lucky to have escaped. By the time I wrote it, I could enjoy melancholy in safety.

I like the point your poem makes that the threat to our country comes not only from without but from within as well.

Nice poem, Adam! I like "So we all stopped for that little while and talked the evening into the day . . ."

message 7: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) | 2869 comments *

Regret
By: Caitlan Zufelt

I regret the words I said to you
They came unwillingly from me
I know I had the liberty to
But I wish I could take them back

I regret the words out of my mouth
They stung you like a swarm of bees
I haven't seen you in over a month
And I know that's 'cause you hate me

I regret the impact of the words
Your reaction to them wasn't unjust
They pecked you like a million birds
Just waiting for you to die

I regret the words I said to you
They came unwillingly from me
I know I had the liberty to
But I wish I could take them back

message 8: by M (new)

M | 11047 comments This is very nice!

I regret the words out of my mouth
They stung you like a swarm of bees . . .

Effective image.

message 9: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) | 2869 comments thank you m :)

message 10: by Adam (new)

Adam (adam_hartfields) Thanks M, really enjoy your writing also; I am very engrossed in everything Aldous Huxley at the moment what an amazing writer... all the best

message 11: by M (last edited Jul 06, 2011 06:22AM) (new)

M | 11047 comments Years ago I read a few of Huxley's essays. What a brilliant mind, and in a century that had its share of them! I remember an intriguing essay he wrote about bathing. It's nice to know there are still people who read him.

message 12: by Adam (new)

Adam (adam_hartfields) I agree such a wonderful ability to draw characters that are intelligent, emotive and possess all those qualities & vices of humanity which he puts under the microscope. Of course the dialogue is nothing less than fantastic.

message 13: by M (new)

M | 11047 comments Avery, thank you! I'm glad you like it. For some reason, when I was reading those posts, yours wasn't on my screen and I missed it.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, haha :P No problem :P My computer does that too.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments The Results:

1st Kat

2nd Stuart
3rd M
4th Adam

message 16: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) | 2869 comments Yay! Congratulations everyone!