Tales to Tomes Online Book Club discussion

Book Chat > A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tif (new)

Tif (tifjay) | 62 comments Mod
The July read is A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. Have you already read the book? When do you intend to start it? Post here and let us know!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I just received my copy and it's on audio. I'll begin as soon as I'm finished my current audio, which should be midweek...around Wednesday, maybe Thursday.

message 3: by Tif (new)

Wonderful news! I will be starting it later today, so it will be perfect timing since I tend to read more on the weekends and you usually during the week, right?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Tif, normally, yes, but probably not this weekend. I have too many books to read. I've almost finished my other audio, so I might be starting on Tuesday instead. I was sort of surprised how long this one is. This won't be a quickie read; that's for sure.

message 5: by Tif (new)

I was thinking the same thing when I picked up the book from the library! It was much thicker than I had anticipated! What's the estimated time on the audio?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

There's 20 discs. (lol) It says 24 hours. That's a lot of listening time.

message 7: by Tif (new)

Wow! It sure is!

I think I'm going to post questions along the way to answer as well this time around along with my usual thoughts as I'm reading!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Good idea! I think that will be fun. :)

message 9: by Tif (new)

Time to check in! Who's reading this month? What page are you on? What are your initial thoughts?

I'm personally not very far at the moment and didn't get near as much reading in as I was hoping over the long weekend. I think I am only a few chapters in at the moment, as I only was just introduced to the vampire. So far, I think it is okay. Not outstanding, but not completely boring either.

You're turn! :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I have the audio, so no pages, but I'm at the beginning of chapter 3. The book starts out so blasted slow with way too many adjectives. That said, I think the author is trying to stay authentic with the main character. Sort of like THE HISTORIAN was so dry, which matched the main character and I ended up loving that book. Time will tell with this one.

Now that the vamp has entered the picture, things are getting interesting.

message 11: by Tif (new)

365andMe ... I think we may be around the same place! I was just introduced to the vampire as well and I thought ... this is a nice addition to make things interesting, particularly with a simple dinner invite!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Tif, I'm almost done with chapter five. It's getting really, really good.

message 13: by Tif (new)

I was hoping to get some reading in today during my lunch break, but I've been swamped! I'm only at the beginning of Chapter 4 and now you've got me really wanting to pull out my book and just read!

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 07, 2011 01:14PM) (new)

I am just as intrigued with the vampire as the main character is. She wants to know more...I want to know more. :)

message 15: by Tif (new)

I seriously need to get in some good reading tonight! It's like you are teasing me! :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL - You know it!

message 17: by Tif (new)

OMG!! I read a ton of this yesterday and I'm so hooked! I am loving this story and cannot wait to finish it! Of course, I neglected EVERYTHING yesterday, so I've been having to make up for it today though!

Where is everyone else at? What are you thinking about the story? Are you loving it as much as me?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, you did get a lot read! I'm on disc 3. This won't be a fast one for me.

message 19: by Tif (new)

Once I got to a certain point in the book, I could not put it down. As I work today, my mind keeps going back to the story. I can't wait to read more tonight!

message 20: by Tif (new)

Has anyone else completed the book? I will be posting my review of this one on Saturday and would love to hear more thoughts from you all!