Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > The Sociopath Next Door Book Club Comments

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emmy (new)

Emmy (emmob) | 13 comments I am still waiting to get this book, hoping it comes up on Paperbackswap.com soon. Post your comments!

message 2: by Lorifog (new)

Lorifog Has anyone started this yet? I'm hoping to by the weekend.

message 3: by Lorifog (last edited Jul 02, 2011 06:05PM) (new)

Lorifog Just read the first two chapters so please don't read the following if you haven't finished Ch-2

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth (pigletpsu) | 24 comments haven't gotten the book yet

message 5: by Emmy (new)

Emmy (emmob) | 13 comments I requested it from the library, and got it in 2 days. Happy I did too, I had no idea it read like a textbook. Got to chapter 4, and really dread picking it up again. Got to be honest. Anyone read past 4 and have any encouragement, or should I just give up?

message 6: by Lorifog (new)

Lorifog LOL Emmy I gave up after Chapter 3 so you are much better than I am....I was hoping it would read easier than that. Not my cuppa tea.

I'm going to pick up Nightstalker next week...hoping that's more enjoyable.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4 comments Emmy wrote: "I requested it from the library, and got it in 2 days. Happy I did too, I had no idea it read like a textbook. Got to chapter 4, and really dread picking it up again. Got to be honest. Anyone r..."

I am on Chapter 7 and it is not getting any better. This book is for someone who is completly clueless on basic psych and sociology. It is too bad that the author did not research her subject more, there are some fascinating studies going on with criminals, now that we can do MRIs, brain scans, and the ever expanding field of studing genes. For instance there is more then one study out there that shows that the majority of men on death row have brain scans that show brain damage done during their childhood. It would be interesting to read more on how advances in medicine is helping us to detect and help people who may be sociapaths.
I hate not finishing a book but this one I just may have to. Then what do I do with it, my husband hates the cover with the spooky eyes and I cannot in good faith swap this book, so I guess it is off to Good Will!

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth (pigletpsu) | 24 comments thank you laura and lorifrog. i'm on a tight budget and hadn't bought the book yet. now i know to save my money. i've only heard good things about nightstalker so when i get some extra cash, i'm gonna buy that!

message 9: by Lorifog (new)

Lorifog You're welcome Beth...fortunately I borrowed it from the library...and gave it back! lol

They might have Night stalker at your library...it's not a very new book, I don't think.

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth (pigletpsu) | 24 comments thanks for suggesting the library! that will def save me some money on a bunch of books i'd like to read!

message 11: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) I'm finding this book very easy to read and enjoying it... but I agree with Laura, I wish the author had done a lot more research! I wasn't expecting it to be so short and repetitive! (Does she really need to reiterate the definition of a sociopath in every chapter?) I'm also glad I got a copy from the library instead of paying for it.

message 12: by Felicia (last edited Jul 26, 2011 04:31AM) (new)

Felicia (feliciahi) | 1 comments i gave up my search & downloaded it on to my cruz reader ~ looks interesting ~ of course by that i mean, will i or won't i regret the choice to buy it? i am not daunted by the styling of classic textbook authors, but worry that i won't even learn anything & and will end up pouting because it was as dull as my Intro to CJ course (that I taught....with many restrictions at the college and not much freedom to explore the topic)....so, we shall see!

message 13: by Micky (new)

Micky Lee (micky1964) | 12 comments i have the book if anyone wants it i can send it to u no problems i have read it

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.