Bahá'í Readers discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 12 comments Mod
I thought it'd be nice to introduce ourselves to each other.
My name's Sonia and I'm a university student in Melbourne, Australia. My favourite genre of book is fantasy. Baha'i-wise I'd like to read more about the New World Order that Baha'u'llah has promised, because I don't know very much about it.
One of my favourite Baha'i books at the moment is the Kitab-i-Iqan, but I find that this always changes as I read more and more interesting things.

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (noregroetz) | 12 comments My name is Cindy. I became a Baha'i in 1978 in Georgia. I happen to notice an ad in the paper that said "One planet, one people, please" and a phone number. I called, found out it was a religion and was a Baha'i within a month. It was the best decision I have ever made. I am currently serving at the Baha'i National Center in Illinois, United States. I love to read and am usually reading at least 3 books at once. Right now, I am reading Fire and Gold. I love being a Baha'i.

message 3: by Wendy (last edited Jul 07, 2011 08:12AM) (new)

Wendy | 4 comments Hello, I'm Wendy, live in Colorado Springs, CO, and have been a Baha'i all my life. I'm like you Cindy, in that I usually have several reading projects going at the same time ... I typically read in book form, as well as ready books on my Ipod Touch, and it's usually whatever is catching my interests at that moment. :-)

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (noregroetz) | 12 comments Wendy wrote: "Hello, I'm Wendy, live in Colorado Springs, CO, and have been a Baha'i all my life. I'm like you Cindy, in that I usually have several reading projects going at the same time ... I typically read ..."

Hi Wendy,
We lived in Colorado Springs for 11 years before coming to Illinois. Say hello to Dixie and John and all for me.

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 4 comments :-) I will Cindy. I know you and Bill from here - I'm the mom with 7 kids ... I now have 4 grandkids to add to the list :-)

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (noregroetz) | 12 comments Wendy wrote: ":-) I will Cindy. I know you and Bill from here - I'm the mom with 7 kids ... I now have 4 grandkids to add to the list :-)"

Oh, yeah! I remember you. How are you and the 7 doing?

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 4 comments Cindy wrote: "Oh, yeah! I remember you. How are you and the 7 doing?"

Growing up :-) my youngest is 13 now, so I truly only have adult and teen childern. The 3 younger boys are in UK visiting their dad for the summer, so I've been kidless, and more 'Noni' (grandma) to fill the void. It amazes me the cycle of life ... daily miracles

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (noregroetz) | 12 comments Wendy wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Oh, yeah! I remember you. How are you and the 7 doing?"

Growing up :-) my youngest is 13 now, so I truly only have adult and teen childern. The 3 younger boys are in UK visiting th..."

My youngest is 14 and gone to Louhelen right now so I am kidless too. It is so quiet . . . I remember when there were five kids, husband and parents at home whenever even one was gone, it was quieter - but this is really different.

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Mathis | 1 comments Hello all,
I am Joseph (Joey, Joe) Mathis. I too have the habit of tackling many books at once, seems to be a common trait within this book group. I am one of the above mentioned 7 kids (Wendy's). I haven't read many Bahai books so would love to study a book with this group.

message 10: by Tamela (last edited Nov 14, 2011 07:23PM) (new)

Tamela Rich | 4 comments I'm Tamela a Baha'i from Charlotte, NC. I read mostly non-fiction and wrote Live Full Throttle: Life Lessons From Friends Who Faced Cancer

This group doesn't appear to have a lot of activity (yet) and I'm willing to move the needle. Let's talk.

message 11: by Maeve (new)

Maeve (mepwave) | 5 comments Hi! My name is Maeve and I am originally from New Jersey, though now I live in Texas. I became a Baha'i on September 27, 2005. I love reading just about everything. I am excited to find this group.

message 12: by Tamela (new)

Tamela Rich | 4 comments Welcome, Maeve!

message 13: by Niki (new)

Niki Daniels | 3 comments Hi, my name is Niki and I just joined Good Reads. Never been in a book club before this month, now I am in two (one that recently started on Facebook).

If any of you are bloggers and are interested in becoming a part of the Baha'i Book Bloggers Network, I think the Baha'i Publishing Trust is still accepting expressions of interest. Their Facebook page is at: https://www.facebook.com/BahaiBookstore.

I am from Jamaica originally, now living in the Carolinas. I love science fiction. used to hate history but am beginning to like it since I started following 'Abdu'l-Baha's travels in the US and reading Robert Stockman's 'Abdu'l-Baha in America.

message 14: by Geraldine (new)

Geraldine | 1 comments My Name is Geraldine King (Savianeso) I became a Baha'i on May 25th of last year. I am in Ruhi Book 2 and have taken the course on the Kitab-i-Aqdas through the Wilimette Institute. I am currently reading Abdu'l-Baha in America by Dr. Robert Stockman. Coming up on June 15th I will again be enrolled in the Wilimette Institute. I work full time and am also a full time student at Gallaudet University.

message 15: by Niki (new)

Niki Daniels | 3 comments Hi Geraldine! You have a full plate, there. The Wilmette Institute courses are great. I'm looking forward to Science & Religion later in the year.

message 16: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 12 comments Mod
Welcome Geraldine and Niki, great to have more people here!
Interesting to hear you're both reading the same book, maybe you could each share your impression of it with the group after finishing it?

I've been reading God Passes By by Shoghi Effendi for ages, but have recently seared reading it more intensively. It's so interesting to see a history of the early years of the Faith in its totality, I've really been enjoying it so far.

message 17: by Niki (new)

Niki Daniels | 3 comments Thanks, Sonia. I guess Geraldine and I are both reading the same book because we're both in the Baha'i Book Bloggers Network I mentioned before. I've posted reviews of the book - the longest one is on my blog, here: http://theweeksend.blogspot.com/2012/....

I loved it, but then maybe I'm partial because I love reading about 'Abdu'l-Baha :) Portals to Freedom (by Howard Colby Ives, the former Unitarian minister who spent quite a lot of time with 'Abdu'l-Baha while he was here) was the book that drew me into the Faith.

I tried to be objective in my review though - I think Stockman did an excellent job, presenting a very balanced and reasoned account of not just the visit, but also of the impact of the visit, how it shaped the way the Faith developed in the US. Worth a read if you are interested in that sort of thing.

message 18: by Serge (new)

Serge Neck (sergevanneck) | 1 comments Hi all, Allah'u'Abha!

I'm a Baha'i in Mesa, Arizona. I just joined Goodreads because someone on Facebook created a profile for a book I wrote and so I decided to sign up and also establish my author profile. For anyone who might be interested, the book is titled "Commonalities: A Positive Look at Latter-day Saints from a Baha'i Perspective". (My wife is Mormon and my son is serving a mission in Honduras. I've never been Mormon and discovered the Faith in 1998.)

In addition to the Writings, I also enjoy reading books about the Faith; some favorites include The Covenant of Baha'u'llah by Adib Taherzadeh, and most recently "Revelation and Social Reality" by Paul Lample as well as "Forces of Our Time" by Hooper Dunbar.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions for other books to read.

Warmest,
Serge

message 19: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6 comments I'm Cynthia and just joined the group. I've been a Baha'i for more than 30 years, just after I got married. I'm taking a course on Baha'i Theology at Wilmette Institute.

message 20: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 12 comments Mod
Welcome Serge and Cynthia!

Serge, I've seen your book in the Baha'i bookshop in Melbourne- you must have some great insights with your wife being a member of the Latter Day Saints.
You might like to read Creating a New Mind: Reflections on the Individual, the Institutions & the Community by Paul Lample- I admit that I haven't read it, but I know a lot of people whosaid that it's amazing and quote from it quite a bit. I recently bought Learning About Growth, which is a history of how the Ruhi Institute started out, and is apparently quite good too.
I've never heard of "Revelation and Social Reality" or "Forces of our time", but I'll have to look them up- the titles at least sound interesting. What are they about?

message 21: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Perkins (perkinsy) | 4 comments I'm Yvonne. I have already posted a bit about myself in the thread re reading for 2013 before I saw this thread.

I am a Baha'i living in Sydney, Australia (Sonia's mother actually). I have been blogging for a couple of years about history. Every now and then I put in a post about the Faith.

I am also a contributing editor for the Australian Women Writers' Challenge encouraging review of histories, biographies and memoirs written by Australian women. The purpose behind this Challenge is to address the lack of attention women writers receive in major book reviewing publications in the media in the West. In the little more than a year that the Challenge has been going we have received over 1500 reviews and attention from national media in Australia.

It is a great way of practising the Baha'i principle of equality through action rather than protest. There are plenty of great books written by women out there.

During the Fast I plan to read and review Janet Khan's biography of the Greatest Holy Leaf on my blog, Stumbling Through the Past> as a contribution towards the Challenge.

message 22: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Perry (douglasgperry) | 6 comments Serge wrote: "For anyone who might be interested, the book is titled "Commonalities: A Positive Look at Latter-day Saints from a Baha'i Perspective"."

I just put your book in my Want To Read list,Serge. I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 23: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (goodreadscomzina) | 1 comments Hi! I'm a Filipina and a born Baha'i. :) I'm 19 and was really happy when I found this group. :D

message 24: by Diana (new)

Diana Bliss | 7 comments Hi Filipina. Nice to meet you.

message 25: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 3 comments I'm a relative newcomer to GoodReads and was glad to find this group here. Some of you may know me as the "Planet Baha'i" guy. I also own and operate (with my wife) One Voice Press, a small publisher of inspirational literature, most of it Baha'i-themed so far. I'm on GoodReads as an author, too, having recently published my first mystery novel, The Fibonacci Murders, which although not explicitly Baha'i does have some religious material in it. The sequel, now in progress, opens with a quote from Baha'u'llah.