Love With The Lights Off discussion

Book/Author Chats > Romance Heroes

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaimey, The Other Queen (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 129 comments Mod
What's your favorite type of romance hero?

Tall, dark, and handsome?
Moody and unpredictable?
Gallant and fair?
Something else?

What type of hero makes your heart beat just a little harder?

message 2: by Jaimey, The Other Queen (new)

I kind of like the moody, unpredictable type mixed with tall and dark. That's the one that makes my heart beat harder. I love that I can't predict what he'll do next.

In a book, that's exciting. In real life...not so much.

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) I started to write my answer, and we had a brown out, so had to re-boot. Makes me mad!!!
Anyway, as I was trying to say, I like dark hair. I don't want someone who is too moody, but a bit of fascination is good. I also like dark red hair and brown hair, but black to dark brown is my favorite. I want him to be honest, most of all, a man of faith and kind.I detest a liar.
I do noy like blonde men, or women that much. Men are usually natral, which is Ok, but do not like dyed hair. I find grey hair very sexy on men.
So many times the one we end up loving is nothing like we imagined.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth Sorensen | 10 comments Human. I like flawed characters. Being perfect their entire lives is boring. A little mysterious is fun too. Maybe a past he's trying to live-down or forget.

The hero's hair color doesn't matter to me but I like my men tall and my book hero's really tall (6'3" is the short end). He doesn't need abs-of-steel either.

He can be a little broody but not so over the top that others avoid him. Hard-working and trying to do the right thing is important but if can ride the line on breaking the law if necessary. (Think Ranger from Evanovich's books.)

Curious to see how others answer this one!

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) I agree about noy being perfect, Beth.I feel the same about women. Nothing bothers me more than the perfect figure, flowing waves of hair and drop dead gorgeous face. I'd rather my heroines have heart. Some of the heroes actually bother me, they seem so flawless. One of my favorite reads recently was about a warrior who's face was badly scarred in battle and was hiding in a cottage to keep himself from being seen. Sort of a Phantom of the Opera thing. I agree also about the abs of steel. Too much bulk really turns me off. I like a man to be healthy, but not so muscled that the veins stand out on them!YUK!!! I also want some hair on their chests!!! Not a hairy gorilla, but a bit of hair. I doubt those cover heros have time to shave their chests every day. OMG!!! In the midst of the battle, the hero notices that his chest has stubble so he hides under his cloak and whips out his trusty razor, then goes back into the fight-LOL!

message 6: by Jaimey, The Other Queen (last edited Jun 29, 2011 09:21AM) (new)

BRILLIANT visual, Anne! Have you considered writing a parody of popular historical romance novels? :O)

message 7: by Anne (last edited Jun 29, 2011 12:50PM) (new)

Anne (spartandax) No, but i have one published book about the Phantom of the Opera, and there are some humerous moments it it. I always think a bit of humor adds to any book. I have read a few that have made me laugh so hard I....!
Anne

message 8: by Linda, The Queen (new)

Linda Boulanger (linda_boulanger) | 35 comments Mod
My current favorite book just so happens to be Jaimey Grant's "Honor" and the main male character is the most caring man. He's strong,loyal, and soft without being a sissy in any way. I think THAT is my favorite type of character, although, a few years ago I read a book called "Save The Cat" by Blake Snyder that talked about the transformation of a character within the story. I definitely enjoy that. Maybe he starts out as a not very nice guy and ends up -- because of his relationship with her -- becoming a better person.

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (Kris65) | 10 comments I like strong, quiet men. Ones who remind me of the land I grew up in (Alaska). I also like those kinds of heroes in a book for a man.The whiny women or ones that do NOT communicate drive me nuts. I know that lack of communication is one of the key elements in making a story work (problem in the story), but it gets me so mad! I just want to tell them to grow up and put on their big girl panties!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 15 comments Edgy and dangerous. Hands down!

message 11: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 26 comments I love a dangerous bad boy. A good bad boy. I love it when the hero is sassy, sarcastic, outspoken.

message 13: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I love men! I guess my faves are the protective alphas. I tend to like the quiet ones most. Not real big on the tortured hero but there are a few I adore. Usually lean to the tall dark and dangerous ones. Love military men and law enforcers.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 15 comments I love military/law enforcement heroes too, Pamela.

message 15: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 26 comments I'm into the military and law enforcement heroes as well.

message 16: by Linda, The Queen (new)

Linda Boulanger (linda_boulanger) | 35 comments Mod
I'm with Pamela -- I love men!!!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Comeaux | 5 comments Give me a tall, lean, dark-haired, confident (not cocky) guy who treats women with tenderness and respect, and I'm set :)