Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > Books with a Country or Southern Setting

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie I'm looking for some books with either Country Girls/Guys as the MC or Southern Belles. Something set in a small town would work also. Oh, and preferably non-paranormal/fantasy. Thanks!!

message 2: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments I know some that are non-YA, so I'm trying to think of some that. Secret Life of bees is kind of like that, it isn't really up my ally though. Sarah Dessen is small towns, I can't rmemeber the locations of her stories though. Jennifer Echols is south based small towns, both are modern day.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Non YA is fine too! I've only read one Sarah Dessen book and it was based in NC at the beach, I'm kind of trying to avoid the beach lol. I know Nicholas Sparks does small towns too but I've read pretty much all of those.

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet | 80 comments Not YA, but a couple of country & small town novels that you might like:

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
Empire Falls
Ride with Me, Mariah Montana

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) How about Dairy Queen (Dairy Queen, #1) by Catherine Gilbert Murdock ? I thought it was cute.

message 6: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) | 193 comments Non-YA, but very good books set in southern towns:

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison The Help by Kathryn Stockett To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

And in children's:

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy, #1) by Maud Hart Lovelace The Moffats by Eleanor Estes

If you change your mind about the beach, this is a great small-town YA romance book:

Sixteenth Summer by Michelle Dalton