Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Shhh -- the question we don't want the editors to know we're asking

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
I've been pondering something (with no intent to do anything about it yet, but I know it's the trend). Many authors are starting to self-publish rather than go through a traditional publisher. I'm curious what you think of that. Would you buy an ebook from a LIH author who was doing an ebook apart from her LIH books? Would you buy one even if she no longer published with LIH? Would you have to like an authors work better to buy it as an independent ebook (ie, does the publishers label have value for you))? There are no right or wrong answers here. I'm just satisfying my curiosity (as I said, I have no plans to put out an independent ebook at this time). The world of publishing is changing fast though and I never say never.

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy I have several books by self publishing authors. As I mentioned the other week, an author who I have all her books on ebook had several of her books pirated and listed for sale on Amazon. She did get it straightened out but I guess that would be a down side.

There is one author of a paranormal series and her books rate up as high as any through publishers. I asked her why she keeps them free and it is because she enjoys writing and don't want the pressure of having to write at certain times.

I would buy ebooks from authors I know. I do hope one day ebooks are cheaper. I struggle paying the same price when I can maybe swap or sell a paperback and get a small amount back where ebooks it's final.

Sorry I probably went off the topic again.

message 3: by JanetTronstad (new)

No, Judy, that's not off-topic. It goes to buying ebooks in general (and I have the same feeling -- I want a hard copy of a book I can then lend or even give away if I want). Thanks for your input.

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 735 comments Judy wrote: "I have several books by self publishing authors. As I mentioned the other week, an author who I have all her books on ebook had several of her books pirated and listed for sale on Amazon. She did g..."

Good discussion.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy I just got an update and Ruth's 3rd book that has been pirated has still not been removed from Amazon and the thief has it listed for like $22.00. I left a review with others to help people see its stolen. It is a shame that some lazy person is trying to profit off someone else's hard work.

message 6: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (JillianHart) Judy, it's sad, but book piracy is huge right now. It's outright theft. I've had several of my books pirated. I feel for your friend. I hope she can get the pirate stopped.

Janet, I've been wondering the same thing. : ) I am thinking about self-publishing some titles that haven't been picked up by my publisher, although I love the stories.

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 735 comments Judy wrote: "I just got an update and Ruth's 3rd book that has been pirated has still not been removed from Amazon and the thief has it listed for like $22.00. I left a review with others to help people see its..."

That is not good .

message 8: by JanetTronstad (new)

Judy -- the only saving grace in your pirating story is that no one (surely) is going to buy it for $22.00! The thief is foolish as well as immoral.

message 9: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I have some self published books as the author wanted some reviews and I was happy to do this also I didn't know in some circles self published authors are considered lower than other published authors. I liked the books and they were different and good.
I would be happy to buy the ebook of authors I know if the story was one I was interested in. I buy and read alot of non LI books (ok I shocked you all). I have read some LI authors books from other lines before there LI books for example Lyn Cote I read her other books before any LI books. The same with Ginny Smith So as long as the cost was ok I would buy these ebooks.

How are books pirated and then sold? I guess im clueless in australia

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy Ausjenny- not sure how they pirate them. They still have Ruth's title and name but if you look at the covers they were blurry and the print was off I guess.

When Ruth first mentioned that I had thought about when Valerie Hansen (pretty sure it was her) had her identity stolen on Facebook. Someone claiming to be her.

There is so much good and so much bad on the internet. We just have to use caution.

Like when this one guy used my 4 star review and put it on Facebook from Goodreads (which is allowed) but I seen that all my info was on it. I quickly came to Goodreads and made it more private.

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 735 comments When Ruth first mentioned that I had thought about when Valerie Hansen (pretty sure it was her) had her identity stolen on Facebook. Someone claiming to be her.

Yes , that is one I remember very well. Sadly the hackers keep going after.

message 12: by Martha (new)

Martha (bookmark_it) Janet, the publisher's label does have value for me, in that I can be assured that a book bearing the LI or LIH label will meet a certain standard for writing and content. That said, the author's name has more value for me, in that a book written by an author that I have read and liked would still appeal to me even without the publisher's label. So an independently-published non-LIH-labeled book written by, for example, Janet Tronstad ;-), Lyn Cote, or Valerie Hansen, to name just a few, would definitely still interest me.

message 13: by JanetTronstad (new)

Martha (too cute with the example) and I am hoping to build a reputation for excellence in my books that would carry over without the LIH label. I think we all strive to do that in LIH.

message 14: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (JillianHart) Janet, you definitely have a wonderful reputation for storytelling excellence : )

message 15: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (JillianHart) Ausjenny--re piracy. One way they do it is there are sites that copy a book, give it away as a free download and rake in a huge amount of advertising income off the site.

Poor Valerie. I had no idea!!

message 16: by JanetTronstad (new)

As do you, Jillian!

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy Ausjenny- Valerie did not have a book stolen, someone pretended to be her on Facebook.

Jillian- If you ever self-publish then let it be more stories from Malcom's Honor!!!

message 18: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 735 comments Opps, Ausjenny is right about that. it is not book stolen, it was someone pretend her.

message 19: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (JillianHart) Janet-- : ) Nice of you, but I feel mostly like I'm bumbling along!

Judy--I loved, loved writing medievals. : ) So, maybe!

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 518 comments Janet, I just started reading a few e-books recently, and still greatly prefer a hard copy. I would buy a self-published book or e-book from authors I love, like you and many of the other LIH authors, but probably wouldn't try a totally new author unless it was offered free to acquaint you with their work. That's where the publisher's label has the greatest value; when you aren't familiar with someone. You still know that the LIH or other publishers have standards you like.

message 21: by Judy (new)

Judy I was getting some free e-books from Amazon and B&N the other day and found that I paid alot more attention to the reviews on the unknown authors and the star rating although I don't like to depend on that too heavily as all our tastes are so different.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments I agree with what a lot of you are saying. I look for certain publishers because I know what to expect in the books. However the bottom line is if I know the author the publisher isn't as big of a deal. If it is an unknown author to me it will come down to the back blurb about the story.

message 23: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Judy wrote: "Ausjenny- Valerie did not have a book stolen, someone pretended to be her on Facebook.

Jillian- If you ever self-publish then let it be more stories from Malcom's Honor!!!"

Judy it wasn't me who said about Valarie being hacked etc. but I do remember her being hacked on face book. There are quite a few authors who have been hacked in facebook. I dont know anything about pirated books.

message 24: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Jillian wrote: "Ausjenny--re piracy. One way they do it is there are sites that copy a book, give it away as a free download and rake in a huge amount of advertising income off the site.

Poor Valerie. I had ..."

Thanks Jillian, I hadn't thought of that I guess its the same if someone gets a pdf they can then pirate the book. I hope these people get found and prosecuted.

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments I agree with everyone. If i I know the author, then I would by it. I know it's a hot topic now that J.K. Rowling came out with her big announcement. But, essentially, stories will still be told and written because there will always be an audience no matter what format it is in.

message 26: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Don't know much about the publishing process but it is the author that I like best and their style of writing that I would look for, I would buy self-published ones I think...

message 27: by Judy (new)

Judy The self published books I've seen have been sold for more affordable prices because there is less overhead. Although I'm sure there is some cost for copyright and such. I search on topics often on the sites like Obooko and Smashwords.

message 28: by Judy (new)

Judy Janet- I have a suggestion that maybe you can mention to someone there. If we buy a new book on eharlequin then offer a free ebook with it :-). That way we can pass on our hard copy and always have the book on ebook.

message 29: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
This is an interesting discussion. I love writing for LIH and other publishers but sometimes I want to write a book that doesn't "interest" them. I'm looking toward moving some of these perhaps into ebooks and print. Some of you have dropped by my blog and read some of La Belle Christiane, my first never published historical.

I want to continue writing for LIH but I also would really like to write something that might appeal to a smaller readership. Anyway it's fun to imagine!

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments Lyn wrote: "This is an interesting discussion. I love writing for LIH and other publishers but sometimes I want to write a book that doesn't "interest" them. I'm looking toward moving some of these perhaps int..."

I enjoy stuff like that...free stories that you can get chapter by chapter every week or so. I have read free stories that are written like that several times and I like it. I mean, you can still write what you want and not have publishers tell you yes, or no or change this and that. :D

Judy's idea of a free e-book along with the purchase of a hard copy is a good idea.

message 31: by Judy (new)

Judy I read a book I really enjoyed and asked the author why she did not write more. There were many more characters who could have been expanded on in other books. She told me that they did not want any more (publisher, editor I forget who decides that). I even told her if she ever wrote one for the fun of it I'd read it :-)

It was medieval and not sure what set it apart but I enjoyed it. And it was a shorter novel as well. Many of the medieval books are the 400 page ones or so.

I guess I never realized all that goes on behind the scenes of a book.

message 32: by Melody (last edited Jun 27, 2011 09:23PM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments The only time labels matter to me is like what others have said, I know the contents of Love Inspired lines, and so I always know I am never going to be disappointed with a story. It will have the romance I love- and always be clean. :) And uplifting! If I knew the authors work I would not hesitate to buy independently at all. :) I wish any book had like a book version of a good housekeeping seal on them if they are stories like the LI. Then I'd always know what is worth spending my money on... :)

message 33: by Judy (new)

Judy For those of you who are prayer warriors (I'm not always so good) the author I spoke of with the stolen books seems down. Someone who gets her blogs may actually be the thief. As author's some of you can maybe imagine the hurt of having someone take what is yours and claim to be you. Amazon has not removed the last book and I guess they even pulled some of the reviews we put on there saying it was a stolen book and not to buy it.

My heart is just heavy for her and this is on that subject as she self-publishes.

She is an author on goodreads. They show e-books as my fictiondb does not for some reason (at least not those that are not with publishers)

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments Judy wrote: "For those of you who are prayer warriors (I'm not always so good) the author I spoke of with the stolen books seems down. Someone who gets her blogs may actually be the thief. As author's some of y..."

You would think that if she's contacted Amazon, then they would pull the books! That's so sad. Why someone would take money for someone else's hard work is beyond me. That's just selfish!

message 35: by Judy (new)

Judy I recently read a book, oh yes, Camy's book A Formula for Danger. The book was about someone trying to steal a formula. It got me thinking how in real life people do such things. Take credit for what they did not do. A friend of ours in Indiana had done something in school or somewhere and the someone took it. He could not prove it was his. Lazy people do this. Like tripping in front of Trumps building to sue him (first thing that came to mind). Anything to find an easy way.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments I am so sorry that this happened! I can't believe people will do this!

message 37: by Lyn (new)

Judy, I'll pray for that author. Piracy is one thing but to steal a book is copyright infringement. This is one reason why self-published authors need to pay the $35 for a legal copyright. And why our national Congress needs an aggressive law against electronic piracy and copyright infingement.
Amazon is a huge corp and if this writer were a bestseller, she'd probably get action. Amazon makes the $ whether they give the author the royalty or not. Sad but true.

message 38: by Victoria (new)

Victoria John Richards | 10 comments I'm not sure whether I would buy a self pubbed book from someone whose work I'd never read before but I would definitely be interested in buying from an author whose work I already know and love.

For me, an author's work is her 'trademark' and so I guess that's what I believe I'd be buying :-)

message 39: by Judy (new)

Judy I notice that some who self publish put out the first book for free or maybe .99. I see often for series the first is free and you want to read the rest and they run from .99 to 4.99. They offer them on B&N or Amazon so they are out there. Sometimes they do this with published ebooks as well. I know recently they had Kerrelyn Sparks book "How to Marry a Millionaire" for free and it is the first of a series.

message 40: by Lyn (new)

Judy,
Publishers do that for promotion. Self-publishing authors can go as low as 99 cents on Kindle but no lower unless Amazon decides to do that. Good promo-no royalties.

message 41: by Judy (new)

Judy Especially with a series, if you like it and are like me where you HAVE to know what happens then you will buy.