Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

N.K. Jemisin Wins Locus Award

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments N.K. Jemisin has won the Locus Award for Best First Novel for her book The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. The Locus Award is given annually by Locus Magazine for achievement in Science Fiction and Fantasy.

message 2: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 191 comments Fabulous! Well done!!

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 386 comments Wonderful. I look forward to reading her novel.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen | 16 comments That's great news!

message 5: by Doret (new)

Doret | 15 comments I was so exicted to hear this. I love this trilogy. The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms was originally released in paperback. The book is so popular the publisher decided to release it in Hardcover on their site. In the age of ebooks that's very rare and serious.

Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is very easy to get into even if fantasy isn't your genre.

message 6: by Rashida (new)

Rashida | 264 comments well, well deserved

message 7: by CheeseAssasin (new)

CheeseAssasin (makefetch) | 3 comments Out of curiosity, did anyone else who read the novel picture Yeine as black/biracial while reading it? I was a little surprised when the author said on her site that Yeine was not of black ancestry on her webpage.

message 8: by Doret (new)

Doret | 15 comments Makefetch - I remember thinking Yeine was biracial, because her skintone was different from that of her cousins.

message 9: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments I wonder if Jemisin was just making the point that applying this world's racial categories to her fictional world doesn't work.

message 10: by Doret (new)

Doret | 15 comments I agree. With fantasy sometimes I think author's go beyond the basics of Black and White.

message 11: by Rashida (new)

Rashida | 264 comments So, I just went to the bookstore on an extended lunch break and tried to buy The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and The Broken Kingdoms. I looked all through the sci fi/fantasy section and could not find it. I finally had the thought in my head that it must be in the "African American" section. I was ready to cause some drama up in the Barnes and Noble for real. Turns out, they just don't have the book in that location, so I had them both ordered from another store. Glad I didn't lose my cool and cause a scene before getting the information, because turns out I didn't have my wallet, or my umbrella, and it started raining cats and dogs and I was caught in the store for an hour. that would have been awkward.

message 12: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments Oh, funny, Rashida!