Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Malazan Book of the Fallen > Midnight Tides-Book 2-Prows of the Day

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
Sorry I am late getting this up-I forsee buying a new computer in my immediate future...lol

Here we see Lether discovering how the Edur dealt with their incursion into their waters...and realize more about Kettle and her morbid proclivities.

I actually like Kettle and her journey a lot. It also seems very apt that Shurq Elalle takes on a 'motherly' type role with her! lol

message 2: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I'm worrying about the Azath that is dying. There could be all sorts of things trapped in there. I'm imagining that will create all sorts of chaos.

Those dead people are quite interesting. I wonder about Kettle's story. We know why Shurq is dead (although not who cursed her) but don't know why Kettle is the way she is.

message 3: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

A dying Azath is a scary thing isnt it?

Do we know of anything buried in an azath?

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie!! Hey!! This is Midnight Tides, not House of Chains! :))

message 5: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

oh my god! I didnt even realize I did that until you pointed it out! lol

message 6: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments LOLLLLLL....phew! :)

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie okay, I've finally caught up somewhat and I'm in the 2nd or 3rd chapter of Book 2. Man does it get confusing between Udinaas' vision and Feather Witch's casting. There is a LOT of information in that. Scabandari Bloodeye is Sheltatha Lore's father and then Sheltatha Lore is Lady Envy's month. And then Scabandari Bloodeye is Manandore and Sukul Ankhadu's Uncle right? But those aren't the 3 daughters then? Then that would mean that Osserc is a brother of Bloodeye. And then we hear Draconus' name again. Can we go through all these relationships?

message 8: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

ok- this is how I saw it...it is confusing enough I might have missed something!

Anomander (along with Silchas Ruin and Darist) is one of the three sons of Mother Dark

Mother Dark then (according to Anomander) betrayed the Dark for the Light (thus creating Shadow)and produced Scabandari Bloodeye

Osserc is the son of light

so Scabandari is kind of a half-brother to both Osserc and Anomander (but Id guess Anomander would consider those to be fighting words)

So the two consious girls (Menandore and Sukul Ankhadu) are the daughters of Osserc while Shalatha is Scabandari's daughter, thus cousins.

Shalatha at one point had a relationship with the elder god Draconus, producing Lady Envy (from Memories of Ice) and Spite (who we will be meeting!)

message 9: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

What did you all think about what happened to Udinass? It was confusing at first, then horrifying...looks like another character who will have a big part to play?

message 10: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: "ok- this is how I saw it...it is confusing enough I might have missed something!

Anomander (along with Silchas Ruin and Darist) is one of the three sons of Mother Dark

Mother Dark then (acco..."

Great Job Maggie is describing all that!! One thing to remember is they tend to throw the word "brother" or "sister" around quite a bit even when there is no family relationship, but say a religious binding instead.

message 11: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

or in the fact that they are Eleint

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie I caught the Eleint references as Brys and Tehol/Bugg start digging into the going-ons in Lether. I'm glad to start hearing more Forkrul Assail and the ongoing history of the T'lan Imass and Jaghut.

message 13: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

and What about Rhulad?

I have a feeling the Crippled GOd is making a very big mistake!

message 14: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: "and What about Rhulad?

I have a feeling the Crippled God is making a very big mistake!"

Speaking of the Crippled God, who's with me in loathing the Crippled God!!!?? Up to this point he is responsible for so many bad things!!!

message 15: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (last edited Jul 05, 2011 12:57PM) (new)

well, to me it is just like this example...Rhulad may be greedy, and coveting his brother's wife, but he comes off rather weak...I just do not see him taking on the emperorship!
Like so many other schemes of CG, it seems destined to fail...
I guess I am saying for someone trying to take over the world, I dont understand a lot of his choices...

message 16: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Shelley wrote: "Maggie wrote: "and What about Rhulad?

I have a feeling the Crippled God is making a very big mistake!"

Speaking of the Crippled God, who's with me in loathing the Crippled God!!!?? Up to thi..."

Ooooh, me, me! (Raises hand high, waving furiously) I'm totally with you there.

message 17: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: "well, to me it is just like this example...Rhulad may be greedy, and coveting his brother's wife, but he comes off rather weak...I just do not see him taking on the emperorship!
Like so many othe..."

I agree mostly, Rhulad wasn't supposed to end up with the sword, he was only supposed to be part of the recovery team.

message 18: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Shelley-maybe I am forgetting, but I thought Hannan Mosang sent him as part of the recovery team yes, but didn't CG say that he didn't want the warlock king to get it, so he picked Rhulad? or was that just a recovery plot?

message 19: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Hmmmm I don't remember that but can totally see it happening that way, I mean the Warlock King would have been harder to control then an unbloodied warrior right! But BOTH were being used by the CG, because the Warlock King had powers that NO Edur has had for years.....

message 20: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Very true...maybe the warlock king was not physically up to the emperor challenge either! lol

message 21: by Amelia (last edited Jul 07, 2011 01:37PM) (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Maybe the CG was worried that the warlock king wouldn't work to his ends since the warlock king is so power hungry and had ambitions of his own.

message 22: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Amelia wrote: "Maybe the CG was worred that the warlock king wouldn't work to his ends since the warlock king is so power hungry and had ambitions of his own."

Thinking on it since yesterday I'm thinking the CG knew the whole time that the Warlock King would not be wielding the sword (due to the size of it) and so was planning betrayal the whole time!

message 23: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments ...imagine that!!!

message 24: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments The crippled god betraying one of his followers? Never! An outrage!

I wonder if this sword was the CG's answer/reaction to Anomander Drake's sword Ragnipur?

message 25: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Hmmmm I'm not sure? Remember with all the Gods blood is required!!

message 26: by Ben (new)

Ben (bstanley52) | 39 comments Coming late to the conversation but with a fresh look at who the CG wanted the sword for.

The way I read this was that the CG didn't want the Warlock King getting it because he wanted peace. Remember in the meeting between the Warlock King, Hull, Buruk, and Seren? The WK implies he wants peace! Then Rhulad picks up the sword. The CG then says

"I have taken you. Chosen you. Because your king betrayed me! Your king hungered for the power I offered, but not for conquest. No he simply sought to make himself and his people unassailable...Not good enough!"

Then in talking about the swords powers...

"every gift has a price. There are powers buried in that sword. Rhulad Sengar. Power unimagined. But they are reluctant to yield. You must pay for them. In combat. With death. No, I should be precise in this. With your death, Rhulad Sengar....Your first death is done, and as a consequence your skills - your powers - have burgeoned. But it is just the beginning. Take your weapon, Rhulad Sengar. Will your next death prove easier for you to bear? Probably not. In time, perhaps..."

So we see that the sword was really for Rhulad and that in dying he/it will get more power. Now the Tor.com re-read notes have pointed out something awesome to me... a very SE-esque foreshadowing (or so I am coming to learn) from Memories of Ice...

"The Edur have sworn to destroy Mother Dark. You must warn him! Poisoned souls, led by the one who has been slain a hundred times, oh, ware this new Emperor of the Edur, this Tyrant of Pain, this Deliverer of Midnight Tides!"

Now, I've just started part 3 but that sounds like a hint that Rhulad will die a bit in the future ;).

message 27: by Ben (last edited Apr 23, 2012 05:27PM) (new)

Ben (bstanley52) | 39 comments Okay, I have a question.

I am now part way into the next section of Midnight Tides and I am wondering when we get to see more about the human empire that was beating up on the T'lan Imass. We heard about this from Lanas Tog (the last of the Kerluhm T'lan Imass) in Memories of Ice when she was traveling with Lady Envy.

I just want to know if that thread is going to get picked up eventually? There are so many little moments that SE puts in that I can barely keep track. It occurred to me that this one I'd forgotten about until they started talking about T'lan Imass again in Midnight Tides.

message 28: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Ben wrote: "Okay, I have a question.

I am now part way into the next section of Midnight Tides and I am wondering when we get to see more about the human empire that was beating up on the T'lan Imass. We hear..."

Hey Ben!!!

I think you're speaking of the continent of Assail, where the Logros Tlan Imass have been decimated? At this point (meaning all books that are released) they are not included in the story yet! It's my personal belief that SE will cover it later in the series he's writing for Karsa Orlong. Or perhaps ICE will cover Assail, due to Kyle being from there!!

Shells:)