The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Group Read Nominations > Winners Chosen: July/August 2011 Group Read

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Jul 12, 2011 12:31AM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
And the winners are:

Category 1: A Place of Execution by Val McDermid
Category 2: The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett

Go vote in the tie breaker poll between Val McDermid and Laura Lippman. Polls -->>

It's time for nominations again.

July August Group Reads: There will be two categories this month.
Each member may nominate one (1) book only.

Category 1: Open - a book from any category
Category 2: The Golden Age of Detective Fiction (see description below)

General rules for Group Reads

If your nomination wins - you will be the moderator.

One nomination per person. Authors, please no self-nominations.

Please do not repeat an author we have read in the last year.

Nominations will be open until Saturday, July 2 Friday July 1, 2011, with voting until Saturday, July 9, 2011. I apologize for the change: I have been unexpectedly called away ...with no available Internet.

For your nomination please indicate: Category, Title, Author and Link (use the "add book/author" link at top of comment box).

Since we are an international group, please check to make sure the book is readily available. Is it available in paperback? Used? Your local library? The last thing we want is to nominate a great book that no one can get!

Finally, a word about series - the joy or bane of a mystery reader’s life! Please consider whether the book you are nominating would be best read by someone who has read all the previous books in the series or can be enjoyed by someone new to the series too.

Thanks for your cooperation!

The Golden Age of Detective fiction
Classic whodunnit fiction most often from England, but not exclusively, written beginning in the early 1900s reaching a peak in the 1920s and 1930s and declining in the late 1940s.
Examples of authors from this genre include, but are not limited to, Margery Allingham, Anthony Berkeley, Michael Innes, Dorothy L. Sayers, Josephine Tey, Ngaio Marsh, Georges Simenon, John Dickson Carr, Ellery Queen, S.S. Van Dine, and most famously Agatha Christie.
Link to Wikipedia Article on the Golden Age of Detective Fiction <<-- click here

For this group read, please nominate a book by any author other than Agatha Christie. Also since some of these books might be hard to find please check Amazon or other online sources to be sure the title is reasonably available.

message 2: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2011 12:27PM) (new)

Please remember:

One nomination only.
Winning Nominators become discussion leaders.
For Category 2 you may not nominate Agatha Christie.

Cat 1
Dead Connection by Alafair Burke (Ken)
Lost: A Novel by Michael Robotham (Doreen)
A Place of Execution by Val McDermid (Kim)
The Burning by Jane Casey (Mary)
I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman (Es135)
The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (Beth NC)
The Traitor's Emblem by Juan Gomez-Jurado (DebbieSanders)

Cat 2
Trent's Last Case by E.C. Bentley (Jan C)
The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett (Almeta)
The Daughter of Time Josephine Tey (Karen)
The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers (Hayes)
Died in the Wool by Dame Ngaio Marsh (Craig)
Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy L. Sayers (Jill)
The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad (Elizabeth Alaska)
The Case of the Journeying Boy by Michael Innes (Deanne)

message 3: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35958 comments Category 2 - Golden Age - Trent's Last Case by E.C. Bentley. I am re-reading right now. I originally read it in college when my interest in mystery fiction was reawakened - as an escape, I think.

message 4: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Dalesandro (agilecairn) | 43 comments I nominate Lost: A Novel by Michael Robotham (Open category).

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) Category 1: A Place of Execution by Val McDermid.

Category 2: I was going to nominate Trent's Last Case by E.C. Bentley, but that's been done already by Jan C. Just in case it's not readily available (I'm reading it on kindle), I'll nominate Dorothy L Sayers' The Nine Tailors.

message 6: by Mary (last edited Jun 26, 2011 03:49PM) (new)

Mary Category 1.The Burning by Jane Casey.

message 7: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 182 comments Category 2: The Thin Man

message 8: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 148 comments I will second nomination of Nine Tailors.

message 9: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 148 comments I will second nomination of Nine Tailors.

message 10: by Karen (last edited Jun 26, 2011 06:59PM) (new)

Karen | 1 comments I nominate
The Daughter of Timeby Josephine Tey for category 2.

message 11: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 26, 2011 10:07PM) (new)

Ken wrote: "I nominate 212 (Ellie Hatcher #3) by Alafair Burke by Alafair Burke under Category 1: Open - a book from any category
nomination."

Hi Ken, that's number 3 in the series... is it okay to read them out of order? or would you like to nominate #1 (Dead Connection)?

message 12: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Kim wrote: "Category 1: A Place of Execution by Val McDermid.

Category 2: I was going to nominate Trent's Last Case by E.C. Bentley, but that's been ..."

Hi Kim, it's one nomination only per person, but I'll nominate The Nine Tailors for you.

message 13: by Craig (new)

Craig Sisterson (kiwicraig) | 59 comments For the Golden Age category, I nominate Died in the Wool by Dame Ngaio Marsh, a terrific novel that has espionage, murder and a great cast of characters on a mountainous sheep farm in wartime New Zealand.

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) Oops, sorry Hayes. I understood it to be one nomination per category. I'm okay with reading, but comprehension is clearly NOT my strong point.

Thanks for nominating The Nine Tailors. You know how I feel about DLS ...

message 15: by Maceo (new)

Maceo Mays a book called (dagon eye) a detective book a thrill read.dont know the author.

message 16: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 27, 2011 06:56AM) (new)

Maceo wrote: "a book called (dagon eye) a detective book a thrill read.dont know the author."

Hi Maceo. Use the "add book/author" tool (above the comment box towards the right) and see if you can find it. There are a bazillion with the same name.

message 18: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) For Category 1: The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3) by Douglas Preston by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. This is officially the third book in the series, but it doesnt rely on the first two. It is my favorite book of this series.

message 19: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

FYI: I found Trent's last case at Project Gutenberg. Here's the link:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2568

message 20: by Gail (new)

Gail Baugniet | 20 comments I hope Alafair Burke wins. I've wanted to read her for some time and this is a good incentive.

Ken wrote: "Hayes wrote: "Hi Ken, that's number 3 in the series... is it okay to read them out of order? or would you like to nominate #1 (Dead Connection)? ..."

Either one is fine, but since I haven't read..."

message 21: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35958 comments Gail M wrote: "I hope Alafair Burke wins. I've wanted to read her for some time and this is a good incentive.

Ken wrote: "Hayes wrote: "Hi Ken, that's number 3 in the series... is it okay to read them out of o..."

Then I hope she's improved. I have been reading Judgment Calls for the longest time. I think it was her first book.

message 22: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35958 comments Es135 wrote: "Cat.1 I'd Know You Anywhere - Laura Lippman"

I've been reading this for a while. Really enjoying it.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I'm no good at leading the discussion, but I'd really like to read (for the Golden Age category)

The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad

message 25: by paul (new)

paul burke (anntony475) | 56 comments nominate Daughter of Time...Tey. see others ahead of me

message 27: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2011 12:53AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I'm no good at leading the discussion... "

That's not true, Elizabeth. I think you were/are wonderful as a discussion leader!

message 28: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 94 comments Cat 2 The Journeying Boy by Innes, recently read Death at the President's lodging which was great.

message 29: by DebbieSanders (new)

DebbieSanders | 2 comments Cat 1: The Traitor's Emblem by Juan Gomez-Jurado... is an engrossing read. A mystery/thriller/Historical fiction set in Germany during the Interbellum years.

message 30: by Hnmestel (new)

Hnmestel I vote for the Alafair Burke in Cat 1 (I was a fan of her dad's) and The Thin Man in Cat 2 (its been a while, I'd like to see if its changed as I've aged).
Thanks!

message 31: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hnmestel wrote: "I vote for the Alafair Burke in Cat 1 (I was a fan of her dad's) and The Thin Man in Cat 2 (its been a while, I'd like to see if its changed as I've aged).
Thanks!"

Hi Hnmestel. We're still taking nominations. The voting will start in a few days. Would you like to nominate something? (Remember that if your nomination wins you will become the discussion leader.)

message 32: by paul (new)

paul burke (anntony475) | 56 comments Jill wrote: "Category 2: Murder Must Advertise (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #10) by Dorothy L. Sayers Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy L. Sayers"

bit off line but...great review of top mystery writers today (Fri. 7/1) in Wall Street Journal. How they try to keep their detectives young----(scudder, reacher, bosch, wexford etc). each growing old and what their authors think their future is. good reading

message 33: by paul (new)

paul burke (anntony475) | 56 comments Rendell, Block, Connelly, McBain--all deserving of nomination. geez, i miss McBain. Rendell has a new Wexford (now retired) out late in the year. Dame Ruth!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.