Goodreads Ireland discussion

Introductions > Darren

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darren (new)

Darren Gallagher (darrengallagher) | 9 comments Hey everyone, I'm Darren. I live in Donegal and I'm a writer of all things Horror, with a little bit of Sci-Fi and Fantasy thrown in from time to time..:)
I've only really been writing for about 3 years, but so far I've almost 80 stories published and I hope to have a collection of my own stories published soon. I feel that it is a great achievement since I dropped out of school at 14 and then had to teach myself everything about writing in the last few years.

I read mainly Horror/Sci-fi/Fantasy, but i like to read other genres as well, I feel adds new aspects to my writing.

Looking forward to meeting you all and seeing what books we have in common. Feel free to say hello or add me as a friend.. I only bite in my stories..lol
(Sorry, couldn't resist!!) haha..:)

message 2: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Hi Darren. Welcome to Goodreads Ireland. You're in good company here, a fair few of us are into our Fantasy/Sci-Fi here.

It would be great if you could share some of your work with us sometime. We love having authors in the group. :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 27, 2011 04:25PM) (new)

Welcome to the group, Darren. I read a fair amount of Sci-Fi, too. Maybe we'll have enough fans of it to get a Sci-Fi book elected as one of the upcoming monthly reads.

message 4: by Darren (new)

Darren Gallagher (darrengallagher) | 9 comments Thanks guys..:)

Here is a link to the only story I have online, hope you enjoy..;)

http://darrengallagher.blogspot.com/2...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Bravo, Darren! I really enjoyed that. It had a sinister edge right from the start. I'm look forward to the next story.

message 6: by Darren (new)

Darren Gallagher (darrengallagher) | 9 comments Thanks Declan, delighted you liked it..:D

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (leosmom2001) I am not really into sci-fi, but I will be in Donegal in two months time. Perhaps you have a suggestion for a good historical read, as I asked for in my introduction that I just posted! The internet makes the world so small, doesn't it?

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma L (oemmao) welcome to the group Darren, what are your favourite authors? would love something different to read, im not a horror/sci-fi fan, but would love to branch out into other genres :)

message 9: by Darren (new)

Darren Gallagher (darrengallagher) | 9 comments Hi Andrea, sorry I don't really read any History books, even ones about the local area. Donegal is lovely though, and I hope you like it. :)

Thanks Emma..:) Well there is the master of horror Stephen King, I grew up reading his books and still do. Neil Gaiman is a brilliant author that I've only discovered in the past few years. James Herbert is another great horror writer, the last book I read of his actually scared me a little..lol
Those are only a few but I could recommend more if you'd like..:)

message 10: by Iuliana Naughton (last edited Jul 04, 2011 09:48AM) (new)

Iuliana Naughton | 46 comments Just read you're story Darren...really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing it and i'm looking forward to more of your work.

message 11: by Darren (new)

Darren Gallagher (darrengallagher) | 9 comments Thank you Iuliana, I'm delighted you liked it too..:D

If anyone's interested, I have a shelf called "books with my stories in them" on my page. They are all anthologies where I have at least one story in each. If anyone buys a copy or gets a chance to read another of my stories, I'd love to know what you think. :)

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma L (oemmao) thanks for the recommendations Darren, will try a few of those out, only King ive read is The Green Mile, brilliant obviously! ;) do you like Dean Koontz, very strange but good books?

message 13: by Darren (new)

Darren Gallagher (darrengallagher) | 9 comments Hey Emma, yeah I read Cold Fire by Dean Koontz many years ago and loved it. It's one to read if you haven't already. I have a few more of his books on my shelf, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet..

message 14: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Cola (ArthurCola) | 16 comments Hi Darren;
I thought that I was new to writing with five years in but you're amazing. I was a teacher for a long time so I admire your dedication to teach yourself.
All the best;
Arthur Cola (www.amazon.com/arthurcola)