Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Third kindle in six months.

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) Okay, so I treat my kindle like a precious treasure- which it is, to me. I keep it in a good case at all times, never let it get squished by anything, don't let liquid within 3 feet of it, keep it clean of any kind of gunk...
... yet my third one will arrive on Wednesday. Okay, I admit, my kindles need to be utility strength to handle how much I use them. Still. You'd think they'd make them a little more durable.

At least Amazon's customer support is fantastic.

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen What are you doing to those poor babies? Mine gets read alot, travels with me, gets loved by cats and is good as new.

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) I have no idea. Granted, on days when I'm not too busy they're used for about 3 hours a day- and I'm a fast reader so that's a lot of page turns- and on days when I have nothing to do I might read for 6 hours.

Craziest thing. The first one I had broke after only two or three weeks of being in my house. The second one survived the beach, the Sahara Desert, airplanes, my cats, etc. But it broke when I left it behind to go on a trip with friends. Maybe it got lonely.

message 4: by Helen (new)

Helen How peculiar.

message 5: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) I'm on my third Kindle as well. I don't even really know why it broke. The screens just stopped working. And my third one has sort of a dent but it still works fine, so I'm not worrying about it! I guess some of us just have bad luck.

message 6: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Wow three kindles? I am very hard on keyboards. I don't think I strike the keys too heavily but this one I have been using for less than a year and alread E has lost it's bottom line and looks like F. My wireless keyboard that I was using until this one was wonderful. And then one day, it just wouldn't type the letters. My husband had the same problem several times and I disconnected his, rebooted the computer, etc. and then it worked. I might go back to try that one again because for some reason I made less typos than on here. I loved that keyboard.

Now I am really glad I purchased the two year warranty on my Kindle. If anything goes on that I predict it will either be the page turner or the connecting cord for charging and downloading from USB port.

message 7: by Karen B. (last edited Jun 26, 2011 11:24AM) (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Mine is just a tad slower turning pages than it was. I am wondering if that's because I have so many books loaded on it. (about 170). It's still great though. And actually the ones where the pages turn more slowly are not ones I purchased directly from Amazon. They are usually ones that I got from Smashwords or where someone send me a PDF file and I had Amazon convert it. So maybe that has something to do with it.

someone on one of these lists, I think it was Stormhawk, mentioned using camping bags which sounds great for extra environmental protection. But I can't find them online. I did like the fact that when I took my Kindle in the ziplock bag I could still work it easily and because it was in the bag, I didn't worry about it dropping in the whirlpool and it didn't. You know like the expression of carrying an umbrella and it won't rain.

message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) X_x I have over 500 books on mine. Well, had. I don't feel like transferring them all over again, even though they're backed up on my pc. I'd agree that the non-Amazon ones seem to load much slower.

My problem is always with the screen.

message 9: by **bells** (new)

**bells** | 10 comments My aunt had a problem with the screen. but she did a lot of reading for a few minutes and then going somewhere else, so she was flipping the "power" switch a lot. I'm thinking that had something to do with it. She turned it on and off so much that it just got stuck.

message 10: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) What I need is something like that keychain where you whistle to find your car keys, so I can whistle and find my Kindle. I carry it from room to room when reading. Am trying not to read in bed during the day because it feels so lazy. So sometimes it's in here by the computer, sometimes next to my recliner, I even left on top of my little wicker set of drawers in the bathroom where I keep my towels. I had to go to the bathroom really bad and put the Kindle down while I went and forgot that was where I put it. Went into panic mode for a bit. At least now that I have a cover on it, it's easier to find.

message 11: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Clare ... just read on another list that someone's screen pixallated on her and she is now getting her fourth Kindle replacement. (she didn't mention 4th in how many months.

Jackie when you say "restarted" it what do you mean? Will I lose anything I have on there now if I do that?

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) You won't lose anything by restarting your kindle. Of course, I always back up all of my books on my pc by default anyway, but you don't have to.

But maybe it is from turning it on and off so much. My mom's had a kindle 2 for... probably almost two years and hers has never broken.
Some of us are just unlucky.

message 13: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) but how do I restart it? I only know how to turn it off and on

message 14: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) Make sure the kindle isn't connected to anything. Hold the power switch in the 'on' position for about 20-30 seconds and then release.

That's for the kindle 3, at least.

message 15: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) ok thanks. I did that. Got a little scared at first when all I had was a blank screen. *crossing my fingers that I didn't lose any data*

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) You didn't XD trust me

message 17: by **bells** (new)

**bells** | 10 comments Annie wrote: "You won't lose anything by restarting your kindle. Of course, I always back up all of my books on my pc by default anyway, but you don't have to.

But maybe it is from turning it on and off so much..."

This is a pretty stupid question, but how do you back it up on the computer?? haha :D

message 18: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Well I knew I had the Amazon Library back-ups but I was concerned about notes, highlights, etc.

message 19: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) I have had to restart my kindle loads of times (got it at Christmas.) Thank God Amazon tech support is so freaking good. I have yet to need a new device. My mom and sister like to use it a lot to play this word scramble game (which I now regret introducing them to), and the keys are very worn down now. I don't get why, either. I use my laptop all the time, and the keys are all still exactly the same. Probably a different principle or something.

message 20: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments Annie wrote: "I have no idea. Granted, on days when I'm not too busy they're used for about 3 hours a day- and I'm a fast reader so that's a lot of page turns- and on days when I have nothing to do I might read ..."
i've had mine a week and love it.

message 21: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments i have stuff on my pc already. i read on my pc sometimes also; the next purchase is the warrenty

message 22: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) **bells** wrote: "Annie wrote: "You won't lose anything by restarting your kindle. Of course, I always back up all of my books on my pc by default anyway, but you don't have to.

But maybe it is from turning it on..."

I just connected the kindle to my laptop via the usb cord (just take the end off of the power cord) and created a new folder called 'kindle' on my hard drive, Then I just copied everything in the 'documents' folder on the kindle to the folder on your pc ^^

message 23: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 82 comments Sorry to hear you have had such trouble with yours. I have had my K3 for 9 months now accidentally dropped it on concrete twice and it is still going strong.

message 24: by Helen (new)

Helen Do you not normally turn yours off Karen? I turn mine off whenever I won't be reading it for longer than an hour.

message 25: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 29 comments My Kindle is second edition and I got it for my bday in August last year. It is with me all the time, so its in my purse with bunch of other things, it has been around food, beverages (I do keep it in the case), to the beach, airplanes... Never had any issues with it... And I do use it a lot... I don't know what I would do if it broke... :(((

message 26: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) My Mom is on her 3rd in 9 months. First fell off of a table while in a bag and the screen broke. Second was in a bag when she fell while hiking and the screen broke again. I remember a drop test video of the first kindle on amazon's website, but they don't seem to be the most resilient devices on the market. That being said, I've had my K2 for over 2 years with no problems.

message 27: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments My kindle is new. another pro for ereader devices. no germ sharing! Haha! people pass books around and their germs also. you can wipe down a kindle with a microfiber cloth.
Who lends a kindle? Not me, not yet!

message 28: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinvdb) | 11 comments You lot are scaring me!! I'm gonna be treating my preciousssss 1 month old Kindle extra superduper careful now!!! *shudder*

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelah110) | 82 comments I usually take good care of my kindle, but it did fall out of my purse in the garage. It was in it's case so it survived.My kindle has a case,skin,and screen protector. It was left in the hot car once, that caused the screen to freeze up, but I was able to do a hard restart and it's fine.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments I still have a Kindle 1 bought during the Oprah promotion. It still works. :) I am waiting for Kindle 4. :)

message 31: by Manugw (last edited Jul 03, 2011 06:40AM) (new)

Manugw | 10 comments I got my kindle 3 last december 2010, it just worked fine until 6 months later, One day, I turned it on in the subway after getting ready to read, the screen malfunctioned, half of the upper half of the screen got blank and the lower half showed white lines. I did the reset but it did not work out, I thought that the battery was weak so I fully recharged it and turned my kindle back on again it did not work out either, so I made a claim to Amazon under the warranty and they sent me a new device. I took very good care of my kindle external condition with sleeves, case inside a case, screen protectors and stuff, so you can expect to experience at least one problem of this kind in a time, I assume this was due to some electromagnetic field that harmed the controller of the e-ink, apparently there is no way to fix this other than to get a new device. Searching on the web I have found other people have experienced the same problem. One guy in you tube is showing it clearly in detail.

message 32: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) wrote: "I still have a Kindle 1 bought during the Oprah promotion. It still works. :) I am waiting for Kindle 4. :)"

Oh My! I thought I was the only one on the planet who still has a Kindle 1. I, too, bought mine during the Oprah promotion. I confess I do have a Kindle 3 also, but the original still works and I often lend it to family members. I love my kindles!

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica If the kindle stops working do you need to post it to Amazon as proof, and then they provide a new one? And I assume this can only be done while it's under warranty?

message 34: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) Jessica, I assume it needs to be under warranty, yes. You just need to call customer service and talk to them.

message 35: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelah110) | 82 comments Jessica wrote: "If the kindle stops working do you need to post it to Amazon as proof, and then they provide a new one? And I assume this can only be done while it's under warranty?"

I had to replace a kindle beacause the screen froze. I talked to customer service and when they couldn't fix it they sent me a new one. The new one also had a return postage label for me to send back the defective one. Customer service walks you through it, they are great.

message 36: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) I think my Kindle is made of steel. I literally have brought it around the world and it gets read for at least an hour everyday (I'm a really quick reader with really huge font so it gets a few hundred clicks a day) and it got dropped in the sink, got dropped in the river, got dropped in a rock pool, got dropped on the kitchen slate tiles.

All I got to show for it is a tiny crack at the bottom left hand corner of the screen (the plastic, not the screen).

Just call it Super Kindle. Or me Super Klutz?

message 37: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Trudy wrote: "Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) wrote: "
Oh My! I thought I was the only one on the planet..."

Good to see I'm not the only one with a K1!! My husband bought mine the day after the Oprah show. He NEVER watches Oprah, but while channel surfing, this "gadget" caught his eye and I'm so glad it did!! :)