Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

All Things Amish > Things that remind you of the Amish

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand I was just wondering if anyone ever comes across a situation in their everyday life that reminds them of something typically Amish. For example, the other day my dad announced that he was having a competition with a friend from church to see whose crop of potatoes grew the most! Not joking! :) I honestly don't know anyone else who has potato growing competitions, and whenever my dad talks about going out to count his potato shoots me and my mum joke about how Amish he's being.

Anyone else have a funny story that made them think of our Amish friends?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa conner (ptl44lmc) | 99 comments yes my husband has a 5 gallon bucket he catches rain water and waters the plants out back LOL!!!

message 3: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Well it's not "everyday" but we are in monsoon season here (though we are at the end) and on the 4th of July we lost power at my house for about 23 hours. I had to leave early in the morning July 5th for a trip, and since the power was not restored I packed by candlelight. :)

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1492 comments Mod
My husband grew up near the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania, in a PA Dutch area. He tried hard in technical school to lose his dutchy accent. Every so often, when he's tired, it comes back. It makes me smile.

Maybe I'll make a shoo fly cake tonight to surprise him.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Camille, living by candlelight for a while can be quite fun! We live in quite a rural area (surrounded by farms and such, always the smell of manure when the wind's blowing the right way!) and when I was a kid the electricity running into our village was awful, it must have cut out at least once a month. We've always had tons of candles in our house for that reason and upgraded our cooker to a gas one so we could still cook dinner when the power cut out. We used to do lots of things by candlelight when the power cut out - including eating dinner, having baths and reading books surrounded by candles! They redid the connection to our village recently so we rarely have power cuts, which I suppose makes life more convenient but I do have fond memories of those days when we did things the old fashioned way :)

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Nov 14, 2011 11:17AM) (new)

Sarah (misscalico) | 128 comments I have a unnatural appreciation for clotheslines... and my favorite of all are the Amish clotheslines, with the identical dresses, trousers, and kitchen towels blowing in the breeze. I always remember my Amish friends when hanging out the wash! :) I've begun hanging my dresses and head coverings out in Amish-style, with like colors together.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Sarah, I love hanging out the washing! Right now it's too cold to dry clothes outside so I have to put them on metal dryers in the spare bedroom, but I do love the smell of clothes that have been dried on the line, just not the same when they've been tumble-dried.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa conner (ptl44lmc) | 99 comments my family even got me new dryer last year. I use it some but i like clothes hung out also. Living here in warmer weather all year around FL. just work around rainy days it works well. Has such a clean fresh smell!

message 9: by Carolyn E (new)

Carolyn E | 239 comments Sarah wrote: "I have a unnatural appreciation for clotheslines... and my favorite of all are the Amish clotheslines, with the identical dresses, trousers, and kitchen towels blowing in the breeze. I always remem..."

Sarah: I'm glad to know that someone else other than me has a fascination with clotheslines. There is a fairly new housing development in the town in which I live that allows clotheslines. I love driving through that development just to see the clothes hanging on the lines. Not sure what the fascination is; I guess it's nostalgia for one more thing that has pretty much been replaced by modern technology.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (misscalico) | 128 comments Really? I've found a twin! :)

My friends find it ever so amusing, but I like the way you put it, "it's just nostalgia for one more thing that has pretty much been replaced by modern technology." I guess that pretty much sums it up! I think that another reason I'm so fond of clotheslines is that they represent work. Good, honest, old-fashioned housework is often found lacking these days! (Which reminds me that I should be cleaning the kitchen...)