Creative Reviews discussion

Fantasy Reviews > Review: Wolf Brother

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Book Review: Wolf Brother (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #1)
By: Michelle Paver

Five Stars

Description:

“Six thousand years ago. Evil stalks the land. Only twelve-year-old Torak and his wolf-cub companion can defeat it. Their journey together takes them through deep forests, across giant glaciers, and into dangers they never imagined.

In this page-turning, original, and spectacularly told adventure story, Torak and Wolf are joined by an incredible cast of characters as they battle to save their world, in this first book in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness.”

This book was very fast-paced and exciting. I was so hooked on the story that I ended up reading for many more hours than I intended to. The very beginning of this book pulled me into the story and kept me reading to find out more about the main character, Torak, and his world. After his father is killed by a bear, Torak is forced to go on a journey to destroy the bear by journeying to the Mountain of the World Spirit. Along the way, Torak meets Wolf, a young wolf cub who at first annoys him and later becomes a trusted companion. He also meets other people from other ‘Clans’ such as Renn and the Clan’s leader Fin-Kedinn.

Accompanied by Renn and Wolf, Torak’s goal is to go to the Mountain to seek help in destroying the bear that torments the Forest. He later finds out that he is the Listener, a part of a prophecy known to the Raven Clan that Renn and Fin-Kedinn belong to. In order to destroy the bear, he must seek the help of the World Spirit in the Mountain. In order to gain the World’s Spirit’s help, Torak must find three items called the three pieces of the Nanuak, which they discover with the help of a riddle and Wolf’s guidance.

I enjoyed reading from Torak’s point of view because of his determination to adhere to the oath he swore to his father and because of his own fears and doubts. His companion, Wolf, was a very loyal companion who was always ready to help Torak. Renn, a girl who lived in a separate Clan called the Raven Clan who at first tried to imprison and kill Torak, was one of my favorite characters because of her bravery and her spirited attitude. Though she, Torak, and Wolf did not see eye to eye at the beginning of their journey, they slowly formed a deep friendship. Every one of them undergoes a change in the story that, while unnoticeable while reading, becomes evident towards the end of the book. All three of them become more mature and understanding of the world and of each other, which made their journey seem all the more believable.

In addition to the characters, the setting was also very realistic and extremely well-thought out. I found it easy to picture the different places in the book and the author’s descriptions really drew me into the story and made it easy to feel as if I was in that time period with Torak. It’s obvious that the author did a lot of research to create such a vast and believable setting.

However, while the story itself was exciting and the author’s descriptions were interesting, there were some places where it was confusing as to what was happening. Sometimes the author would stop, skip a paragraph and leave an empty line, then start a new paragraph in confusing places. In my books and in most books I’ve read, a skipped line is normally used to indicate that the scene has changed somehow or that time has gone by. However, the author once stopped in the middle of a conversation and then started a new paragraph during the same conversation. It made it a bit confusing to know whether a new scene had started or whether it was a continuation of the last scene, which sort of pulled me out of the story.

Overall, the story was very interesting and suspenseful and the characters were all very well-developed and easy to connect with. I would definitely recommend it.

http://sarahrenee-saderiaseries.blogs...

message 2: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 1841 comments Mod
Thanks for the review on this! What age group do you think this is best suited for?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hi Amy! I think it's probably best suited for the 9-12 age range and older.

message 4: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 1841 comments Mod
This would be perfect for my daughter then! I was hoping it would be around that range! She loves almost all books, but she has a soft spot for books with animals as the main characters! :)

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Great! Some of the descriptions of hunting in the book are kind of gross, but other than that, I think it would be a good book for someone that age. :)