Johnson County Library Teen Reading Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Summer Reading Discussions > Hana says to her best friend Lena, "You know you can't be really happy unless you're unhappy sometimes." Do you agree with that?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (purplepenmore) | 31 comments Mod
I absolutely do. I believe to truly experience the depth of an emotion, you must be able to experience equal depths of its opposing emotion. Otherwise, all feelings are superficial. What do you think?

Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (safeandsound) I agree with you, Peggy.

message 3: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 32 comments I absolutely agree..without unhappiness there is no way to truly experience happiness. No one is happy all the time, and no one can identify happiness without first experiencing the opposite.

message 4: by Lillian (new)

Lillian | 29 comments yes, because if we were never unhappy, we would never ahve anything to compare happiness to, and therefore, we would never know what actual happiness is.

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie (lovetodance) | 24 comments Yes, I agree. Because if you don't know what its like to be sad, then you won't know what happiness is, meaning you can't ever feel happiness.

message 6: by Zach (new)

Zach | 26 comments Yes, you learn and live from bad times and good, you can only know how to be happy if you have experienced sadness

message 7: by David (new)

David Arth | 13 comments Having too much of something takes away the happiness in it.

message 8: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (purplepenmore) | 31 comments Mod
Yes, you CAN have too much of a good thing! Do you think this is always true?

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Elgersma (meliele) Absolutely! If I don't have low points in my life, I can't really appreciate or recognize the high points.

message 10: by Maddie (new)

Maddie | 3 comments i definitly agree because first of all you can not go through life without some kind of unhappiness, and when you finally conquer it you really feel happiness!

message 11: by David (new)

David Arth | 13 comments Peggy, Peggy, Peggy. It's always true. I bet you can give me an example but one way or another, it just gets old.

Elliott Alicia  | 35 comments I'm not sure. Because little kids are rarely truly sad, and they seem to be quite happy.

message 13: by Jordan (new)

Jordan | 3 comments I agree because if you had all high points in your life you wouldn't appreciate them as much. A little obstacle in life is good for you.

message 14: by Annie (new)

Annie (lovetodance) | 24 comments Lav [rather fall in chocolate than fall in love] wrote: "I'm not sure. Because little kids are rarely truly sad, and they seem to be quite happy."

They may be rarely TRULY sad, but they are often sad when they don't get candy or something (hahahaha, sorry just trying to think of examples). So when they have their little fits they then realize how good it feels to be happy, otherwise they would be a spoiled child and not know what happiness is. At least that's what I think. Although I can see what you mean.

But then once your older, its definitely true.

message 15: by Polly (new)

Polly | 13 comments Definitely. If you were always feeling "happy" it wouldn't be true happiness. People who are never deeply sad become spoiled. And spoiled people (people who have everything)never seem to be as happy as everyone else.

message 16: by Leah (new)

Leah | 18 comments Totally. enough said.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.