What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Implosion
This topic is about Implosion
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. British dystopia, Forced childbearing [s]

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gerd (new) - added it

Gerd | 224 comments Reading about Bumped jogged a memory of a older British SF novel, a dystopia in which for some reason they have to repopulate the country, and to do this they build camps in which women are given hormons and put to produce as much offspring as possible.

It drives me insane that I can't remember the books title or writer, because I'm fairly sure that it was by some well known SF author.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy The first one that came to mind with The Handmaids Tale by Atwood. But I don't think they were given hormones.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments Yeah, this one isn't the Handmaids Tale.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Perhaps one of the books by John Wyndham. He wrote sci-fi books that were based on science fact (at least his later ones were) or at least science possiblity. So perhaps this is one of his books. Altho I've actually only read a few of his books, it still sounds like it could be one of his.

message 5: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments Daughters of the North Could this be it?

message 6: by Gerd (new) - added it

Gerd | 224 comments No this isn't the one, but it sounds interesting.

I believe it's an older book, late sixties to mid-seventies perhaps.

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 30 comments Could it be Children of men by P D James?
Wikipedia: The Children of Men is a dystopian novel by P. D. James that was published in 1992. Set in England in 2021, it centres on the results of mass infertility. James describes a United Kingdom that is steadily depopulating and focuses on a small group of resisters who do not share the disillusionment of the masses.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments I was going to guess Swastika Night, but after reading a few reviews, it doesn't really exactly match your description.

Maybe something on this page?

message 9: by Gerd (new) - added it

Gerd | 224 comments Thanks for the link, very useful, but I'm fairly sure (based on my reading habits) that it was written by a male author.

message 10: by Hirondelle (new)

Hirondelle | 5 comments Swastika Night was first published under the pseudonym Murray Constantine, so you might have assumed it was written by a man.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Bump.

message 12: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments Maybe The Year of Compulsory Childbirth? It's not nearly as old as you're looking for (2001), but it has the British element, country(ies)-wide re-population, and pregnancy camps.

message 13: by Trilobyte (new) - added it

Trilobyte | 144 comments sounds like Implosion

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) PM and link sent to the OP.

message 15: by Feliks (last edited Sep 18, 2013 04:01PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) 'Virus: Day of Resurrection' has women forced to set aside all romantic relationships and merely serve as breeders. This is because there's only a hundred or so humans left on Earth--at an Antarctic outpost, which escaped a worldwide plague. So, they're needed to repopulate humanity after the plague has passed. Made an interesting movie; because its a question of "hey does the genetic survival of humanity, really take priority over my whims?" Plus, any movie with a submarine is cool.

message 17: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Ok Feliks, I remember that movie too. Too cheesy for words, but it was interesting.

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 767 comments Back to John Wyndham-Consider Her Ways is a short story in which a woman takes an experimental drug and finds herself in the future, where women are called 'Mothers' and are very fat, and used for reproduction.

message 19: by Gerd (last edited Sep 19, 2013 08:49AM) (new) - added it

Gerd | 224 comments Trilobyte wrote: "sounds like Implosion"

That's the one! Thanks!