North Liberty Readers discussion

Books > American Gods

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 913 comments Mod
Since at least two of us are reading American Gods right now, I thought I'd start a thread in case anyone would like to discuss it... :)

message 2: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
How far are you? I don't want to give anything away...

message 3: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I'm about 1/3 of the way. It's the week before Christmas, and Mr. Ibis is with Shadow in the funeral parlor.

I honestly think that Neil Gaiman was high when he wrote this book. It's neat, but I cannot fathom how one person could think of all of this stuff.

message 4: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I've been thinking that too... I'm at about the 2/3 mark, and it doesn't get any less crazy. I think, though, that it's so crazy that it seems plausible. If it were less crazy, it might just seem weird.

message 5: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I agree!!!

message 6: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
It's also interesting to see the personification of all of the various Gods. Ibis and Jackal, I knew were from Egypt, but there are others that I've never heard of before, so I like that he gives us a back-story for how some of them came to America. At first, the jumping in time bothered me a little, but I don't even really notice it now. It's just part of the story.

message 7: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I actually know some of the ones that have been brought up, and Gaiman has quoted from a Hindu Gods book that I own. I guess I'll have to try to get to reading that book soon!

It would be so cool that have Gaiman for a dad... imagine the bedtime stories you'd hear!

message 8: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
Though, as a kid, I think something like this might have given me nightmares...

message 9: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
It looks like HBO is turning this into a series (with Gaiman writing it) for 2013...

message 10: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Nice, I'll have to watch for it.

Oh, while this might have been bad as a kid, there are quite a few other stories that would have been good. He's got lots of neat short stories. Also, I love Stardust, and I don't remember anything too crazy in it.

message 11: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I liked Stardust too. I don't think I've read anything by him that I haven't liked. So far, I've read The Graveyard Book, Stardust, and Coraline, all of which have been more child friendly. They were all shorter though too... I haven't read any of his short stories. I might have to look for some of those...

message 12: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Fragile Things is a book of short stories. I listened to the audio book, but I really recommend reading this one. I don't care for the way the audio book was set up. I plan to sit down and read it someday.

message 13: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I just added Fragile Things to Mt. TBR!

message 14: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Woot! I think you'll like it!

message 15: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Neil Gaiman was defiantly high when he wrote this. Coco agrees! I should get some good reading time in tomorrow night, I'm hoping to hit the halfway mark on Thursday. Tonight is going to be too full of stress to read. :(

We should make Coco read this book!

message 16: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
Sorry to hear that your Wednesday was so stressful. I know it's partly our fault (with the crib and all...). I didn't read much last night either. Only 8 pages or so. Hopefully tonight works out better for you! I don't know that it will for me!

message 17: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

It's no problem! It's just so nice to have it out of the house since we'll be inheriting some furniture at some point in the next couple of months.

I'll have a solid 30 minutes to read tonight, so I'll make a little progress... cross your fingers!

message 18: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I will! I think there had to have been some outside influence (either drugs, he was over-caffeinated, or maybe over-sugared). I don't know, but normal minds don't come up with stuff like this...

I agree that Coco should read this book! I think she'd like it. I may have to stop at B&N tomorrow evening and get her a copy since mine is digital and hard to loan her. It does read pretty quickly...

message 19: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (last edited Jul 29, 2011 02:35PM) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
Are you done yet? :) I know you've been busy...

I did get Coco a copy. She didn't seem too happy with the size of it. She asked if it was "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" weird, and I didn't know how to answer that. Do you know?

message 20: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Okay, I literally only have about 20 pages left to read, yay! I asked Wimmie, and he said that Hitchhiker's is weird, and that it's on par with Neil Gaiman, but he said that it's a different kind of weird... I'm not sure what that means... I guess I'll have to read it!!

message 21: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I told Coco that I thought it was probably a different kind of weird. We'll see what she thinks...

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 15 comments It does strike me as though Gaiman was on something really good when he wrote this. I'm not very far into it so I'm curious to see where he takes it from here.

message 23: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I totally agree! There is no way that I could ever be that creative, even if I was on something amazing...

message 24: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I'm not sure there's enough of whatever it is to make me that creative. I do like the glimpse into the mind of a person that has that ability. It's a place I don't normally get to go.

message 25: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 15 comments OK, I totally know what you mean by "weird" now. I'm not even halfway through but it just keeps getting weirder. I get to points where I think, "wow, now THAT is weird. Surely it won't get much worse." And then he blows me away again.

message 26: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Get used to that feeling! The book starts to make sense in the last 50 pages or so.... :)

message 27: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
It all comes together in the end!

message 28: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Yes it does!

message 29: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 15 comments It all came together but I found it to be disappointingly anticlimactic. He is a genius writer and he did it very well, I must say. I was just holding my breath for something a little bit bigger than, "oh, there's no storm, we just created one so you would all die" and then everyone goes home.
Did you guys get that feeling too?