Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Never-ending Trivia > Trivia Creation

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charles (new)

Charles (charles_edward) For what it's worth, I believe I can diagnose why so many questions are added with no book references, and then subsequently must be deleted.

If you go to the page for a book with no trivia, you'll see link that says "No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »"

Anyone clicking that link will naturally assume that the questions added "for that book" will be linked to the book.

When you click that link, you go to a page with the book's title and a link you can use to add an individual question. Again, it would be logical to assume that clicking "add a question" on the trivia page for that book would add a question which applies to that book.

In fact, adding a question never applies to anything, unless the question's author puts in a book reference manually.

I added trivia questions for my own book, then as a test, went back to the book's page to find that it still said "No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »"

Had I not done that test, I would never have known that the system didn't do what it suggests it will do. I was surprised I needed to go back to my questions to add a reference to the book, but I did so and the problem was solved – for me.

Because it is necessary for a question to contain a book reference in order to be linked to the book, why not present an error message when no proper book reference can be found?

It seems to me that a proper trivia question will either reference a book in the question, OR the answers will all contain book references. Any other question should probably be rejected by the system in order to prevent a problem librarians will just have to clean up later.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 18415 comments Or have questions created from a book page automatically be linked to that book.

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Some trivia questions aren't necessarily linked to a book. E.g.,

A "metafictional" narrative is one that.....

a. addresses concerns of a spiritual or metaphysical nature
b. draws attention to itself, not letting the reader forget he is reading fiction
etc.

The vast majority of people who add questions do link them to a book or author - or if they don't insert a link, they at least mention the book/author. Librarians flag questions that need to mention a book but don't, but this ends up being a very small number of questions.

When you add a question and link it to a book, there is a time lag before it shows up on the book page. I don't know how long, but it seems to be longer than a few hours.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott | 18415 comments Oh, I don't think I've ever run into a question like that.

message 5: by Ashley (last edited Jul 03, 2011 09:10AM) (new)

Ashley (ashleym) | 147 comments Charles wrote: "Anyone clicking that link will naturally assume that the questions added "for that book" will be linked to the book."

Although there are plenty of legit questions that don't require book links, I think Charles has a good point. Maybe some language could be added to that page, so that question authors who add questions via this page will realize the book link won't be automatically included.

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Jul 23, 2011 07:18PM) (new)

Ashley (ashleym) | 147 comments Just following up on this with a perfect example: this question was marked incorrect for not including the title, and this was the question author's response:

"So sorry about that. I thought since it linked to the Never Ending Question Quiz directly after I had written a review on the book, that it would also associate the question with the book automatically."

Although automatically linking or absolutely requiring a link might not work well, maybe the wording could be changed or some wording could be included that would make it clear they need to enter title info? It happens often enough that I think it would be worth it.