Orchid-Stompin' Proust Haters Unite! discussion

Fun Facts

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Sam | 2 comments Mod
Okay, so maybe just coincidental propaganda fodder...

MARCEL PROUST CAUSED BOTH WORLD WARS
For the entire course of World War I, from 1914 until 1918, the Germans tried and failed to conquer France. One might expect that this sort of mistake would not be repeated. But it was, only twenty years later. Why? Because they were entirely conviced that France was a nation of little pillow-biters. Between 1913 and 1927, the seven volumes of A la Recherche du Temps Perdu were being published. Once upon a time, the literature and legend of France was studded with characters of great power and tenacity. Vercingetorix, Roland, Porthos, Jean Valjean -- these are not the emblems of a faint-hearted nation, of easy prey. But then these giants were supplanted by a wheezy little boy who cried for his mother and was only marginally more robust than his own sickly grand-mere. The image of nation was transformed. Crusades, rapiers, Sun Kings and guillotines were forgotten. Who could blame the Kaiser, who could second-guess Hitler, for assuming that their wars would be quick and glorious? France was asking for it, and Marcel Proust signed the request.

What other calamaties might Proust have caused?
Add your own spurious Proust fact.

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip This is hysterical. You rule for starting this group.

I must add that I am a spy sent by the Proust Lovers Group...

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam | 2 comments Mod
Oh come on. Its fun. Just for a moment stick your tongue firmly in cheek and rip on Marcel. Or at least rip on the publisher/editor who greenlighted a book and series whose very first chapter discusses at great length the delirious moments between wakefulness and sleep. I mean who was it that read that and then suddenly snapped back awake, wiped the spittle off his chin and said to himself "My God this is riveting stuff?"

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip did you read that book by michel de botom (or something like that) called proust will make you smart? or something of the kind.

perhaps we can make titles for books we want to write (or see written)

you know, like

proust will make your drool fall further
proust will make the insides of your eyelids turn green
proust will steal your wine if you're not careful
proust will keep you in suspense for eternity
proust will make you harbor regret
proust will make your taxes higher
proust will adopt sarah palin
proust will never know
proust will refrain from killing us
proust will not refrain from killing us
proust will eye that stale madeline
proust will make you glad you didn't have to diagram his sentences...

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (Inverness) | 1 comments Sam wrote: "Okay, so maybe just coincidental propaganda fodder...

MARCEL PROUST CAUSED BOTH WORLD WARS
For the entire course of World War I, from 1914 until 1918, the Germans tried and failed to conquer Fr..."

I admit I'm mostly enjoying the ride, although I catch myself sort-of-bragging about my progress. I find the haul totally worth it. But this group intrigues me, nevertheless. :) But it's difficult for me to like whiny narrator, and I find parts seriously overwritten.

Haters -- you guys should read Gogol's Lost Souls. This was written before Proust, but he makes fun of flowerly, "deep" French literature. I think that French film is quite overrated, for similar reasons -- "If it's French, it must be good..." As if slow-moving, long pauses, and spoken French always equals good.

BTW, can anyone explain the greatness of Godard?