Bizarro Fiction discussion

Bizarro > First Bizarro book to read?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allen (new)

Allen Allen (audiovore) | 1 comments So what do you guys think would be a good intro to 'bizarro fiction'? The so called starter kit?

message 2: by Jordan (new)

Jordan | 21 comments both starter kits would be an excellent introduction (albeit a very long one...)

message 3: by Jed (last edited Nov 26, 2008 03:56PM) (new)

Jed (specklebang) | 12 comments My first book was Electric Jesus Corpse and it did hook me but in retrospect, there are other good choices.

The Menstruating Mall is short and probably my favorite Mellick book.

Electric Jesus Corpse by Carlton Mellick III The Menstruating Mall by Carlton Mellick III

message 4: by Jed (new)

Jed (specklebang) | 12 comments The problem with Starter kits is that some of these guys are good writers with a solid storyline and hysterically funny while others are just doing Stoner Free Association which can really put you off.

I would like to know what everyone thinks is their best, favorite, most loved Bizarro novel. Mine is The Menstruating Mall - what are yours?

That might be the best way to introduce someone to the genre.

The Menstruating Mall by Carlton Mellick III

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1 comments I haven't read any bizarro lit yet, but I was thinking of starting with either Ocean of Lard, Electric Jesus Corpse, Satan Burger, or Fishy-fleshed. Teeth and Tongue Landscape sounds interesting too.

Any thoughts on those?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

My fiancee always trying to get me into the Bizarro fiction, and finally after meeting Carlton at the world horror convention in Salt Lake last year I decided I would try it. I read Satan Burger and absolutely loved it! I haven't read any of the others yet, but Satan Burger is a GREAT read.

message 7: by Bradley (new)

Bradley (bradley_sands) | 60 comments Teeth and Tongue Landscape is my favorite out of that list.

message 8: by Jordan (new)

Jordan | 21 comments For Mellick's books, I'd say Fishy-Fleshed or Teeth and Tongue Landscapes from that list. Or Sausegey Santa. Or War Slut.

message 9: by Jed (new)

Jed (specklebang) | 12 comments I'll reiterate my suggestion of The Menstruating Mall. I thought it was Mellick's best work, a little less extreme.

message 10: by Jordan (last edited Jan 18, 2009 10:58AM) (new)

Jordan | 21 comments Yes, The Menstruating Mall is a good one. All of his novellas are good, actually.. so it's really hard to pick. Honestly his longer work SATAN BURGER is at the bottom of the list. I just have liked all of his other books more. However, if you are looking for an extreme Mellick, check out the new one APESHIT.

message 11: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Wanglund (sweetcolleen) | 3 comments I read ADOLF IN WONDERLAND and SKULL CATHEDRAL in the same week. I loved both.

message 12: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) | 179 comments Mod
The first I read was Punk Land, so that's what I tend to recommend. I think it's more easily digestible to people who've only read more mainstream books before.

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike Kleine (mikekleine) | 4 comments I would definitely recommend HOUSE OF HOUSES from Kevin Donihe, though anything he's written is excellently Bizarro. Also, IT CAME FROM BELOW THE BELT from Bradley Sands is also really "out there."

message 14: by Garrett Cook (new)

Garrett Cook | 82 comments Mod
I think D.Wilson's Dr. Identity or Andersen Prunty's Zerostrata would be good first Bizarro reads.

message 15: by Mykle (new)

Mykle | 4 comments I think you should only read my books. All other books should be burned. Also you should never stop reading my books. All other activities should be banned, burned, or banned and then burned.

So, for instance, when I become supreme dictator of Earth, "HELP! A BEAR IS EATING ME" is one book you will be allowed to read. Lucky you! This book shall win many awards, as it's obviously one of the finest of our planet's three remaining books.

message 16: by Garrett Cook (new)

Tough, but fair.

message 17: by Christy (new)

Write a Bizarro romance novel and I'll concider it.

message 18: by Garrett Cook (new)

Something about an uptight city girl finding love with a naughty cowboy walrus?

message 19: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Wanglund (sweetcolleen) | 3 comments I would also recommend SHEEP AND WOLVES by Jeremy Shipp, and anything by Gina Ranalli.

message 20: by Christy (new)

Garrett wrote: "Something about an uptight city girl finding love with a naughty cowboy walrus?"

Nothing so Sex In The City.

I'm looking for bodice rippers.

message 21: by Garrett Cook (new)

I'd do it, but I certainly wouldn't stop at the bodices.

message 22: by Christy (new)

Please, don't.

And please, keep me posted.

message 23: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeffburk) | 14 comments The best books to start with are the Bizarro Starter Kits (Orange and Blue). Each book has ten different authors and really give you a grasping on the wide breath of the genre.

Most of the authors are rather different from each other, so once you figure out which ones you like it makes it easier to give recommendations.