The Next Best Book Club discussion

TNBBC's Lists > Favorite NON-FICTION Books By Novelists!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheri Howard (new)

Cheri Howard Travels with Charley, John Steinbeck

message 2: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture | 121 comments On Writing by Stephen King

The Opposite of Fate: Memoirs of a Writing Life by Amy Tan.

Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

message 3: by Clara (new)

Clara | 157 comments "Brother I am dying" by Edwidge, Danticat.

message 4: by Abigail (42stitches) (last edited Sep 17, 2008 07:00PM) (new)

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments Have to agree with On Writing. One of the best books I've ever read.
And Douglas Adams' Last Chance to See. So funny and sad at the same time.
Although I dislike Anne Lamott's fiction Bird by Bird is a pretty good book on writing.
Writing Poetry from the Inside-out by Sandford Lynn is also a really nice book on writing. (*edit: Lynn does not seem to be a novelist...oh well, good book)

message 5: by Coalbanks (last edited Sep 18, 2008 04:39PM) (new)

Coalbanks | 186 comments Travels with Charley, John Steinbeck

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Other Colors: Essays and a Story
by Orhan Pamuk

Koestler, Orwell, Orhan Pamuk, Primo Levi & Umberto Eco each wrote a number of essays, auti-biographical articles worth a look.

message 6: by Spudsie (new)

Spudsie | 44 comments Wait.

There's yet ANOTHER genre of books I'm not familiar with?????

Whimper.

I had my review today at work and got an awesome raise and was looking forward to buying shoes. But now I'm gonna have to buy more books!!!

Agggghhhhh! (I blame Ken. ;-))

message 7: by Macy (new)

Macy | 155 comments The Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd is one of my favorite books and it just happens to be non-fiction by a novelist! I also like Junger and Krakauer (sp?), although I don't know whether they wrote novels as well.

I think more novelists should write non-fiction. There are so many wonderful stories in history and today, and yet so many non-fiction books are just DULL. I bougt a book on linguistics a few years ago that looked wonderful but was so tedious I only ever read the first 45 pages or so.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Travels with Charley is just so GOOD. I've also been reading this one, and enjoying it:

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Thanks, Ken. I didn't know about Thunder & Lightning, although I think when I looked at her book list it seemed there were lots of books about writing there. I enjoyed Bird by Bird also. I love that dry, sarcastic sense of humor of hers. That's the only kind of humor that really makes me LOL! :)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (goosers34) I need to read more of the genre. But just recently tried to finish the Executioner's Song. 800 pages in I put it down!

loved In Cold Blood though!

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Another really good one about writing by Lawrence Block (he's so terrific):

Spider, Spin Me a Web: A Handbook for Fiction Writers

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

"Persian Fire" by Tom Holland. What surprised me was his list of fiction releases.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Tom Holland writes fiction? I didn't know that.

Persian Fire and Rubicon are both excellent non-fiction, and I would recommend both of them.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Ya, I was surprised, too. Check in Wikipedia and you will be surprised. His novels include
vampyres stories.