What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Seasons of Sun and Rain
This topic is about Seasons of Sun and Rain
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Chick Lit book about "upper" middle-aged women [s]

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl | 22 comments I know there are DOZENS of books on this topic, but this one took place either in the Northwest or the upper Midwest (maybe Minnesota??)where all the women get together for one week each year on a retreat. They are all older than the typical 30-40's ages getting divorces, and one of their members has cancer. Much of the book focuses on how they are trying to talk (or not talk) about this woman's diagnosis.

Part of the distinguishing feature of this book was the fact that it took place in a retreat on a lake (not at the ocean), and the general age of the women. Can anyone help me?????

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 20 comments That sure sounds like the plot of a Lorna Landvik novel. I can't find one with that exact plot, but there are so many with similar elements (lakes in MN, women getting together after not seeing each other, divorces, cancer, women in their 30s-40s...)

Cheryl | 22 comments Thank you Amy, but I checked out the Lorna Landvik novels and I'm sure they're not among those.

The reason i was thinking Minnesota was because of the references to the loons on the lake - - can anyone else out there help?

Cheryl | 22 comments Thanks Luann, but that's not it either. I distinctly recall that the author was NOT one whose name would be instantly recognizable, which was one reason i knew this book would be so hard to find.

But THANK YOU, thank you for taking the time to look through old messages and see if you knew this book - - - I was beginning to despair that no one was looking through the older messages on the board!!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Cheryl, We can always bump up messages if we want them to have a better chance of being seen. I've done that a few times and I've found 2 books because of doing it.

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica | 47 comments Could it be "Talk Before Sleep," by Elizabeth Berg, 1994? I haven't read it in a very long time; please forgive me if it isn't even close.

Cheryl | 22 comments Erica,

That plot sounds VERY much like the book that I read, but I know for a fact that it wasn't YA, but a serious "Chick Lit" type of book. Again, the thing that stands out in my mind more than anything was the fact that they meet at this cabin every year, and that during this particular year, the cancer that has struck one of their more stable members is difficult for all of them to deal with. I also remember that one of the women frequently takes long walks in a forested area by the lake.

Thanks so much for the suggestion though - - -that plot of "Talk Before Sleep" certainly is close to the story line in the book that I am searching for.

message 9: by Coral Rose (new)

Coral Rose (coral_rose) | 10 comments Annie Freeman's Travelling Funeral, by Kris Radish? I know it's not spot on, but I live in WI and she is one of the most popular local chick lit authors. She also has one called The Elegant Gathering of White Snows. I guess, reading your last comment that this isn't what you were looking for, but they might be similar reads, anyway. :-)

message 10: by Deb (new)

Deb | 48 comments Possibly "The Saving Graces" by Patricia Gaffney?

Cheryl | 22 comments No to both the Kris Radish and the Patricia Gaffney books - - - although I have read and love Patricia Gaffney, and I thank you, Coral, for putting me on to Kris Radish. She looks like she has written some very interesting books.

Thank you for your suggestions though - - -I'll keep looking!!

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Cheryl, Also, please keep checking this thread. Some books have been found over a year after the initial request!

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela | 7 comments Is it The Same Sweet Girls by Cassandra King? Here is a summary:
Join a circle of friends that will never be broken Cassandra Kings celebrated national bestseller, The Same Sweet Girls, is now in paperback None of the Same Sweet Girls are really girls anymore, and none of them have actually ever been that sweet. But the story of this spirited group of six southern women, who have been holding biannual reunions ever since they were together in college, is nothing short of compelling. On an island every summer and in the mountains every fall, the Same Sweet Girls come together to share their stories. When one of the group faces the most difficult challenge of her life, the novel builds to an almost unbearably powerful conclusion, one of the most memorable in current fiction. Without a touch of sentimentality, Cassandra King writes of the way close friends can help each other through even the most cataclysmic life events. Both heartbreaking and hilarious, The Same Sweet Girls will touch, move, and inspire readers to cherish their own lifelong friendships. Perfect for reading groups, The Same Sweet Girls is a story of friendship that readers will want to share with their special girlfriends. [close:]

Cheryl | 22 comments Angela, thank you, but that's still not it. This was a book that I read probably 5-6 years ago, maybe even more, so the minute I saw the publishing date on the Same Sweet Girls, I knew it wasn't that particular one. Once again, I remembered thinking that this book was unusual because of a more Midwestern location.

I must admit that looking for this book has given me a greater understanding of just how many of this type of novel exists out there - - - wow! Thanks for all of your help, everyone.

Cheryl | 22 comments I'm going to try bumping this back up once more time in hopes of finding this book. To recap, I'm looking for a book that was wrtitten at least 10 years ago or more. The story took place either in the Northwest or the upper Midwest (maybe Minnesota??)where all the women get together for one week each year on a retreat. They are all older, probably in their 50's, and one of their members has cancer. Much of the book focuses on how they are trying to talk (or not talk) about this woman's diagnosis.

Part of the distinguishing feature of this book was the fact that it took place in a retreat on a lake (not at the ocean), and the general age of the women. Again, it's an older book - -

Can anyone help?

message 16: by Mir (new)

Mir | 714 comments I definitely have not read this, but I wanted to mention that we have loons in California, too. And Birds of North America says they live in Canada and Alaska as well. So if that was the only thing that made you think of the Great Lakes region you may want to look at other settings.

message 17: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments Miriam wrote: "we have loons in California, too."

Of course we do. But I think Cheryl meant the small black waterbirds.

;)

message 18: by April Ann (last edited May 01, 2009 03:36PM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Seasons of Sun and Rain by Marjorie Dorner Seasons of Sun and Rain by Marjorie
Dorner pub. 1999

Summary: The relationship between six women who bonded in college and have remained friends ever since is challenged when one of their number turns up at their reunion suffering from the early onset of Alzheimer's disease.

Could the disease have been Alzheimer's not cancer? It's set on Lake Superior.

Cheryl | 22 comments OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!! Your little piece of sarcasm (very funny Miriam :) ) bumped this message up to the top again and somebody actually FOUND THE BOOK I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!!!!!!!!! April Ann - - - - thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been looking for this title since September of last year!!!! You are exactly right - - - it was set on Lake Superior, and it was Alzheimer's. The second I saw the book cover, I knew you had found it. One more testament to the power of Good Reads!!!!!

message 20: by Mir (new)

Mir | 714 comments Great! I think the sarcasm was actually rivka's, but I'm thrilled you found your book!

Cheryl | 22 comments LOL - - - I guess that's true! Anyway - - thank you! You guys did me a great favor here!

message 22: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Yippee!! I'm glad it was a hit, sometimes I search and search and I'll get ten book that are wrong, and sometimes the right one just pops right up!

message 23: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 34 comments How fun! I'm glad this one was solved. Just goes to show that just because it isn't solved right away doesn't mean it won't eventually be solved.