College Students! discussion

Genre or Topic/Theme Related > Gay and Lesbian Literature

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Anybody here read any kind gay and lesbian literature? I'd be more than happy to give some recommendations if you are interested.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Prayers for Bobby- Leroy Aarons
Running with Scissors- Augusten Burroughs
Dry-Augusten Burroughs
My Miserable, Lonely, Lesbian Pregnancy-Andrea Askowitz(I own this book, if you want to swap/have)
All I Could Bare:My Life in the Strip Clubs of Gay Washington D.C.- Craig Seymour(I own this book if you want to swap/have)

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Also, you can look on my shelf under Gay and Lesbian or under my Lesbian Romance Novels

message 4: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I've read Running with Scissors and liked it, but other than that, I don't think so. I've been meaning to read Augusten Burroughs' other books for awhile, but I haven't got to it yet.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) have you ever read Sarah Waters? It is kinda historical lesbian... I've only read The Night Watch but she writes well and I've seen a few bbc movies adapted from her books which were also good.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 26, 2009 06:46AM) (new)

Sarah Waters is wonderful! I've read Tipping the Velvet and Fingersmith. Both are amazing!

message 7: by Anna (last edited Feb 26, 2009 10:21PM) (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I saw Tipping the Velvet which is what made me want to read her...it is sitting on my shelf waiting to be read at the moment

message 8: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) My Women's study prof recommended Rubyfruit Jungle, it looks pretty good and is about a lesbian.

message 9: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 130 comments Anything by Jean Genet. As a straight man, I'm fascinated by gay novelists, poets, painters, scientists, etc.

message 10: by Nuri (last edited Mar 12, 2009 04:55PM) (new)

Nuri (nools) | 145 comments Not sure if you mean LGBT author or romance. I found David Rakoff irreverent, funny, all kinds of snarky in Dont Get Too Comfortable.

Not a lot of bells are going off for LGBT romance, I think in part because they don't stand out much from "straight" lit in my memory. But one which is staring me in the face right now is Proust's Cities of the Plain or Sodom and Gomorrah (depending on the translation), the fourth installment of his ridiculously-wonderfully long epic. [edit: NOT IN ANY WAY to suggest this one's a "romance" -- just that it involves lgbt couplings/activities... yes. because if you're looking for a touching testament of true love and enduring fidelity, Proust is NOT who you're looking for. you should read it anyway if you enjoy being roughed up by your author's brilliance. at least he is kind enough to cauterize your wounds with resignation (his stuff rings so true) after messing with you. sorry, i have been meditating on his stuff recently. i will stop now.]

I can also think of The Cheese Monkeys by Chip Kidd, which should be appreciated for the book's unique... design? Perhaps more than for the work itself, which culminates in a disturbing existential crisis sort of thing. But he is very witty and entertaining for the first half.

Matt: I nodded along to novelists, poets, and painters, but I don't know any gay scientists, I just realized.

Also: Please, someone drive me away from goodreads for just twelve more hours. I have such terrible study habits, but I really need to studyyyy....

message 11: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 40 comments Someone is Watching by Mark A. Roeder was a really good book, so is the rest of his series. Thinking Straight by Robin Reardon is also good. I have a bunch more romance ones if you guys are interested.

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess Almost Like Being in Love by Steve Kluger is fantastic. It's one of my favorite books, for how sweet and funny it is. Plus, if you're a fan of epistolary fiction, you'll be very satisfied by this light, wonderful read.

message 13: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Thought I'd resurrect this thread so people can get ideas since one of the tasks for the Winter/Fall challenge has to with LGBT issues/characters/authors.

What are some good books with a LGBT character in them? Or anything non-fiction pertaining to LGBT issues?

message 14: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 40 comments Luck in the Shadows is a very well written fantasy novel with two bisexual characters. I enjoyed the book very much. =)

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess I still highly recommend Steve Kluger's books, especially his recent YA novel (My Most Excellent Year). Great, quick reads.

I read The Mayor of Castro Street for the summer challenge, which I also recommend. It's a non-fiction biography of Harvey Milk.

message 16: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 157 comments I can't believe no one has mentioned Middlesex.

Also, Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit was pretty good.

message 17: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I know of at least one on the 1001 list.. but I've never read it. The Swimming Pool Library

message 18: by Kellie (new)

message 19: by Melissa R (new)

Melissa R Green (blindreadr5674) The safe harbor series by Radclyffe.
Anything by Karen Kalmaker.
Of course Sarah Waters
One of my favorite lesbian books is Zami By Audre Lord
I don't know of any bi-sexual books or novels.

message 20: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Julie Anne Peters is a wonderful author... she mostly writes for young adults, but I love her books. She has one called Luna, which is about a transgender M-to-F. She has Far From Xanadu is about a lesbian and her wanting a relationship... Plus the stereotypes they face. Keeping you a Secret is about a lesbian couple in which one girl isn't ready to come out. She also has Between Mom and Jo which is about a lesbian couple adopting a kid and what the kid faces... I think. I haven't read that one yet.

I'm actually surprised no one mentioned her yet. I love her.

<3

message 21: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments Jess wrote: "I still highly recommend Steve Kluger's books, especially his recent YA novel (My Most Excellent Year). Great, quick reads.

I read The Mayor of Castro Street for the summer challenge, which I also..."

We watched the movie, Milk, in my Gender studies class. I bawled but it is one of my favorite movies. Such an amazing man!

message 22: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 157 comments Annie on My Mind is a great book :)

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Caitlin wrote: "Julie Anne Peters is a wonderful author... she mostly writes for young adults, but I love her books. She has one called Luna, which is about a transgender M-to-F. She has Far From Xanadu is about a..."

I agree with you Caitlin. JAP is a wonderful author. I've read all of her books except , grl 2 girl. I can't wait until her next book, but it doesn't come out until 2011 :-(

message 24: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin I haven't been keeping up with her books, sadly. It's so hard to find them at stores around here. =(

I remember that I read Define Normal... and sent her an email, because I loved it and was so moved and surprised by it. She emailed me a nice long email back. To take time out for your readers like that amazes me and just made me love her more.

<3

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Caitlin wrote: "I haven't been keeping up with her books, sadly. It's so hard to find them at stores around here. =(

I remember that I read Define Normal... and sent her an email, because I loved it and was so mo..."

Yeah, she definitely takes the time to respond to emails. Do you have a borders or b&n in your town? Look under the young adult section. It is usually there.

message 26: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Yeah, that's where I look... but either her books sell fast or they only stock one. I look for new ones every time I go... but usually they'll have one that I already read.

<3

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Try getting them online then. They always have books in stock online.

message 28: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 58 comments I recommend Carson McCullers. Not gay/lesbian lit, but there are gay characters. It's an interesting perspective as her books take place in 1930s, so people have issues with being closeted. In her personal life, she was either bi or lesbian. Her best book is Heart is a Lonely Hunter, and I've also read Reflections in a Golden Eye. Her writing is beautiful.