YA LGBT Books discussion

Author Info & Writing Discussion > Group Member Goodreads Authors

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Kaje (last edited May 12, 2019 05:40PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments Hi everyone - Byron, who maintains this list, has been pretty busy. Since I can't edit his list, I'm going to add new names here, until I have time to put the two lists together. (An asterisk indicates an author with Young Adult books published.)

*Andrew J. Peters
Anthony Heetland
*Benjamin Shepherd Quiñones
*Brent Hartinger
*C. (Cody) Kennedy
*Cheryl Rainfield
*D.E. Atwood
*E. Summers
*Ellen Mulholland
*Erik Schubach
*Jay Jordan Hawke
*Johanna Parkhurst
*Julia Ember
*Logan Kain
*Marko Realmonte
*Matt Juhl
*Mia Kerick
*Michael Barakiva
*R.E. Schicchi
*Rachel Eliason
*Robin Reardon
*Scott William Simmons
Stacia Seaman

message 3: by Kaje (last edited Dec 01, 2013 11:21AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments Welcome to new authors. If you post below, I'll get you onto the list. Please make sure any book of yours that is LGBT YA is on our bookshelves here. Be sure to add all appropriate tags (sub-category shelves), since those are how people search the shelves to find stuff they want to try. If I miss someone or mis-categorize your work, please let me know.

This is our bookshelf guidelines thread : https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... and it has directions. If you still can't work it out, let me know.

message 4: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Parkhurst | 7 comments Hey there! I'm the author of Here's to You, Zeb Pike. I'm new to GoodReads, so I'm having a bad tech moment and can't figure out how to add my book to the shelf. ;) Can I find directions somewhere? Thanks!

message 5: by Kaje (last edited Dec 01, 2013 11:22AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments Johanna wrote: "Hey there! I'm the author of Here's to You, Zeb Pike. I'm new to GoodReads, so I'm having a bad tech moment and can't figure out how to add my book to the shelf. ;) Can I find directions somewhere?..."

Sure. This is our bookshelf guidelines : https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... and it has directions. If you still can't work it out, let me know. (I added this to the box above too - good idea.)

Welcome and I'll get you on our author list too.

message 6: by E. (new)

E. Summers (esummers) | 57 comments Hi Kaje. I'm E. Summers My book Beneath Angel's Wings is on the group shelves :). Thanks for all your work in updating the author list!

message 7: by Kaje (last edited Dec 01, 2013 04:29PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments E. wrote: "Hi Kaje. I'm E. Summers My book Beneath Angel's Wings is on the group shelves :). Thanks for all your work in updating the author list!"

Got you added :) BTW your name on GR for search has an extra blank space between the E. and the Summers, making a regular lookup fail (although you can be found by book title or by adding the extra space.)

message 8: by Rainbowheart (last edited Dec 01, 2013 04:27PM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 714 comments Is there another YA LGBT group besides this one? There are a ton of authors of well-known queer books on Goodreads but maybe they don't know about this group? I dunno because I barely recognize anyone on that list.

message 9: by E. (new)

E. Summers (esummers) | 57 comments Kaje wrote: "E. wrote: "Hi Kaje. I'm E. Summers My book Beneath Angel's Wings is on the group shelves :). Thanks for all your work in updating the author list!"

Got you added..."

Thanks so much for the head's up. I'll see if can fix it.

message 10: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Is there another YA LGBT group besides this one? There are a ton of authors of well-known queer books on Goodreads but maybe they don't know about this group? I dunno because I barely recognize any..."

I haven't found one, although I may be searching wrong. There are a lot of Young Adult Books groups that are not specifically LGBT, but may have LGBT sections? Also, the only authors on that list above are the ones who posted here and requested it (I've cleaned up old requests); others may be members, but not listed - you can check the "Members" listing for the group. And then there are authors who no doubt don't know we exist. Alex Sanchez only just started blogging on GR, for example. But I don't feel like I should recruit people.

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 714 comments Cool, thanks. Maybe over time more famous people will join, lol. I notice there's so much self-pubbed stuff on here. Not many major books talked about at all. I found it surprising when I joined because I figured the focus would be more on the publishing industry side of YA LGBT.

message 12: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Cool, thanks. Maybe over time more famous people will join, lol. I notice there's so much self-pubbed stuff on here. Not many major books talked about at all. I found it surprising when I joined be..."

We started mostly with M/M fans and authors who wanted to support a teen too young for the adult book group. So the expansion came from there. I don't know if the bigger authors have other places that are more valuable to them than GR for publicity. The smaller authors tend to look for places that they fit, and we're one of them. (Just as I went looking for the M/M Goodreads group, but you won't find JR Ward or Ella Frank on there.)

message 13: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 714 comments Oh that makes sense! I was wondering why the focus seemed so much on the m/m romance side. I don't read that genre so am a little out of my element, lol.

message 14: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Oh that makes sense! I was wondering why the focus seemed so much on the m/m romance side. I don't read that genre so am a little out of my element, lol."

Yes, it's a combo of the origins (as the YA M/M Group at first) and the fact that there really is a lot more m/m available in both YA and Adult.

message 15: by Rainbowheart (last edited Dec 01, 2013 05:11PM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 714 comments Probably so. I added lots of lesbian and non-romance stuff to the shelf, so that might help broaden things up a bit!

message 16: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Probably so. I added lots of lesbian and non-romance stuff to the shelf, so that might help broaden things up a bit!"

I saw that!! I loved all the additions - thank you so much. You put a lot of new books up for us.

message 17: by Jay (new)

Jay Hawke (jayjordanhawke) | 35 comments Please add me to the list. I'm Jay Jordan Hawke, author of Pukawiss the Outcast. This group rocks!

message 18: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments Jay wrote: "Please add me to the list. I'm Jay Jordan Hawke, author of Pukawiss the Outcast. This group rocks!"

Got you :)

Again, new authors will go on the second list until we work out how to combine them.

message 19: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Kaje wrote: "Hi everyone - Byron, who maintains this list, has been pretty busy. Since I can't edit his list, I'm going to add new names here, until I have time to put the two lists together. (An asterisk indic..."

Thanks for doing this, Kaje!

message 20: by D.E. (new)

D.E. Atwood (deatwood) | 3 comments Hi! Please add me to the list. I am D.E. Atwood, author of IF WE SHADOWS (which I just put on the shelves). This group is awesome and I'm excited to go through it to find some new things to read!

message 21: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments I'll get you listed. Welcome.

message 22: by Destin (new)

Destin Hicks (dhicks) | 48 comments "Moderatrix Lori" huh?

lol, I thought ypu might be one of my professors in real life, but then I was like, "Nah - no way. She would never imply she was a dom." ;)

message 23: by Destin (new)

Destin Hicks (dhicks) | 48 comments *you

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

You should add Cheryl Rainfield... Her books have lesbian characters... she is an awesome writer.. I own all her books in one form or another.... I love her work...

message 25: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments Please add me to the list! Thank you!
C. (Cody) Kennedy

message 26: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments C. wrote: "Please add me to the list! Thank you!
C. (Cody) Kennedy"

Wow, I can't believe you're not there! Done.

message 27: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments Kaje wrote: "C. wrote: "Please add me to the list! Thank you!
C. (Cody) Kennedy"

Wow, I can't believe you're not there! Done."

Thanks so much, Kaje!

message 28: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments I should do the combined list at some point. I'm not keeping up on all the housekeeping here. But thanks for the reminder.

message 29: by Scott (new)

Scott Simmons | 75 comments Hi Kaje,

Please add me to your list. Scott William Simmons, author of "Choices Made - A Tale of the Gwerin".
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 30: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments Will do - thanks for stopping by.

message 31: by Julia (new)

Julia Ember (jules_chronicle) | 42 comments Hello,

Can you please add me to the list?

My book is coming out in 2016! :)

message 32: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments Will do - congrats on the upcoming book.

message 33: by Erik (new)

Erik Schubach (erikschubach) | 18 comments Hi Kaje, I'm Erik Schubach and have authored several coming of age LGBT titles and one series specifically YA, The Paranormals. Book three in the series will be out this spring.

message 34: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments Added you; welcome.

message 35: by Marko (new)

Marko Realmonte | 22 comments Kaje wrote: "Welcome to new authors. If you post below, I'll get you onto the list. Please make sure any book of yours that is LGBT YA is on our bookshelves here. Be sure to add all appropriate tags (sub-catego..."

Hi Kaje!!

I'm an author who just published a gay whodunnit for the YA audience. Isn't it time for a gay love story that also has a murder to solve? Murder at White Oak is my book. Thanks for including me on your author list!!

message 36: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments Marko wrote: "Kaje wrote: "Welcome to new authors. If you post below, I'll get you onto the list. Please make sure any book of yours that is LGBT YA is on our bookshelves here. Be sure to add all appropriate tag..."

Added :)

message 37: by R.E. (new)

R.E. Schicchi (reschicchi) | 4 comments Hi!

My first book Crystal Visions has been released on Amazon Kindle and Kindle Unlimited. It is book 1 in a six part series.

The genre is Action Adventure> Alternate History> Coming of Age >LGBTQ

Here are the links. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QMJVWSM/...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

Thank you for including me on your author list!

Anne Sutton is turning eighteen in two months. Her only role in life is to marry well and have many children, which Anne wants nothing to do with. Headstrong and full of riotous ideas, Anne is determined to fight society’s norms and dreams of a life on the high seas like her brother. Now that Anne’s mother Lara has returned home, Anne has fallen into despair. Her mother was once a vibrant and a socially active woman but is now institutionalized most of the time and nearly catatonic.

Anne’s only sought out social contact is her lifelong friend and neighbor, Sarah Winters. Sweet, silly Sarah about whom Anne feels love and now something new and unfamiliar.

A family tragedy that involves one of Anne’s crystal creations, seems to set Anne free of her London restrictions and sends her off to live with her Aunt Miranda at the family sugar plantation in Barbados. During the voyage on her father’s ship and in the company of Captain Elizabeth Spencer, one of very few women in the Royal Navy, Anne begins to see the possibilities of a life different from the one she had always been expected to have.

While Anne is surprised to learn that, in each generation of the Sutton family, one person has the power to control crystals, others are aware of the power Anne will inherit when she turns eighteen – and they’re making plans to use it for their own ends.

Of course, life is what happens while you’re busy making plans. The West Indies, in this altered history, is stranger and more dangerous than Anne could imagine. Full of mysterious and strange happenings, Anne begins to find out getting what you want does not always work out for the best, including sharing a berth with a pirate king’s daughter named Éndira who sleeps with a knife under her pillow.

Anne will have to find the strength to become what she was always meant to be, a powerful Crystal Astrid.

message 38: by Kaje (last edited May 12, 2019 05:57PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16266 comments Added, and congrats on the book. By the way, there is another R.E. Schicchi listed on Goodreads. Your author listing has two spaces between the initials and last name, to distinguish you. This doesn't matter in top of the page searches, but within a comment box on GR, if you don't put in the right number of spaces, you only get one person with that author name.

This is a known GR glitch - others of our authors including John (2 spaces) Goode have this issue too. I thought I'd mention it if you're new to GR.

Also on GR you can link the book easily (including with the cover) using the "add book/author" link above the comment boxes (just remembering to use two spaces if you search by author name rather than title.) Crystal Visions (A Crystal Astrid Novel Book 1) by R.E. Schicchi

ETA - I see from your bio that you are also the co-author of the Breaking News series under that other version - you may want to get those under your author name, and petition for the two to be combined (preferably with just one space between.) A Goodreads Librarian may be able to do this - let me know if you need help with it.

message 39: by R.E. (new)

R.E. Schicchi (reschicchi) | 4 comments Thank you for pointing this out. I was wondering why my other book series was not showing up!

I sent an email to correct this and hopefully it will be done soon.