Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) Dead to the World discussion

Mad at Sookie-Spoilers*****

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Joann I'm sorry, I was so mad at Sookie for sleeping with Eric, that I had to put the book down and walk away. I think it's unreasonable for her to still be angry with Bill over the Club Dead incident/leaving her for Lorena. If he was ordered to do something and couldn't refuse shouldn't she forgive him? Of course he's not falling down all over himself asking for her forgiveness. I know its a great plot device to separate them and it probably makes me a bad reader/feminist, but I hope they get back together. If you have read further in the series, please don't tell me what happens next. But over this issue: what do you think?

Aimee I've just started book 4, but I was tired of her being so forgiving towards Bill's unfaithfulness in book 3. I personally thought she should get together with Eric or Alcide. Bill just doesn't seem good for her & I think she needs to date someone else. I actually like Eric, Alcide & Sam much more than Bill. But just my two cents :)

Kara OK. Gotta say I didn't like that she slept with Eric but I liked reading about it. I've read the books and as I recall they don't sleep together again. But there is some serious awkward moments as Eric doesn't really remember having been with Sookie.

I get mad at Sookie fairly frequently. I feel like I would use her powers way differently. Sometimes I feel like she is kinda a loser and get mad at her but I like her anyway. What's a girl to do?

message 4: by Joann (last edited Sep 23, 2008 11:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joann I have to say I'm not a big Eric fan. He's very open that all he wants is sex- ok if that's all you want too. But I think Sookie wants more. Alcide is too wishy-washy: Debbie- I love her/No, I hate her. Plus he uses Sookie and then gets mad at her for it (book 5?). Sam is a winner, but why doesn't he step up to the plate? I can't believe his affection is that strong if he still holds back. The jury is still out for me on tiger man (Quinn). He could give her the babies she wants, but I still have a soft spot for Bill. Even after the super rotten revalition in book 6 (still not his fault) I think his love is genuine.
Still holding my breath and moving into book 7.

Ranata Clark Joann, I would have agreed with you if I liked Bill as her boyfriend, but I don't so I can't agree. LOL. Sorry. I was ECSTATIC when Sookie slept with Eric. It's not like she was cheating on Bill like he did with Lorena. He could have told her something and then she rescues him and finds out something else altogether that really ruins Bill's chances. I don't know if you've gotten farther than this book so I won't say more but I didn't think Sookie was wrong in the least. Besides, I'm an Eric fan all the way!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay I just read book 4 and W-O-W!!!! I LOVE ERIC EVEN MORE!!! I thought he was dreamy before hand but when they finally got together HOT HOT HOT!! lol. I was never a fan of Bill, maybe in the first book he was okay but after that I was like "what is his problem", he leaves her in the bar so he can go kill the people that shot up the bar... he said it's his nature. Did anyone else see Eric chase after them? No he stayed with Sookie. And then he cheats, yes I understand it was an order... but does he have to set it up so she starts getting money? Any why give her money after he dumps her why not give it to her while they are dating. As you can tell I am not a fan of Bill.

Ranata Clark Samantha, I am totally not a Bill fan, even though the guy that plays him on the show is pretty cute.

Again, I'm happy she went there with Eric because Eric's been hot for her since day one. And I agree, he is there for her, he hasn't tried to do anything to jeoparddize her life unlike Bill.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh see I don't even think the actor is attractive. Last night I found Eric much better looking than Bill.
I am kinda bummed that Eric doesn't remember being with her. It would have been cool have him remember being with her and everything that he told her.

MJ Codename: ♕Duchess♕ I have to agree with Sookie on this point. Bill could have told Sookie what was going on and things probably would have turned out better. I'm glad Sookie hooked up with Eric. I love Eric. He's a vampire version of Ranger (for those who have read the Stephine Plum novels). Bill sort of reminds me of Richard from the Anita Blake books (mind you, I'm just starting book 5, so my opinion of Bill might change) and I can't stand Richard. Sookie needs someone who isn't going to baby her over every little thing and that's what Bill does. Bill caters to her feminism side, but Sookie also needs someone who can challenge her - which Eric does.

Kandice I LOVE the Bill of the HBO series, but the Bill of the books kind of turns my stomach! I agree with Heather- in her face, he is condescending, and babies her, but when she isn't right in front of him... he's disloyal. I know he couldn't have refused Lorena, but he could certainly have explained and appologized!
Eric is very upfront about his physical attraction to Sookie, but he is also so very caring, in a non-patronizing way-the driveway, the check, the coat. He is my very favorite suitor so far. Mind you, I have only just finished book 4.
Alcide sounds dreamy physically, and he is incredibly thoughtful and polite, but he also seems a bit of a pushover. I think Sookie needs a much stronger man.
Sam is great, but she needs friends too. I think his feelings for her are real and deep enough that he realizes that. Yes, he could probably push for a more intimate relationship, but then she would lose his "shoulder", so to speak. He's been alone so long, I thinks it's enough for him to care for her, not push for a physical relationship. Makes me like him even more!!!!
I LOVE Sookie Stackhouse!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica DOES SOOKIE SLEEP WITH ERIC AGAIN? or do they even date at all?

Stormy Sorry, I'm team Eric.

Bill just gets on my nerves ALL THE TIME.
I really hope Sookie steers clear from him.

WTF Are You Reading? Team Eric here tooo!

Nique Team Eric all the way!!!

message 15: by Suz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suz Just finished an ARC of Dead Reckoning and, although I have been Team Eric all along, I'm sick of all of them and hope the fairy from the Christmas short story opens a hole into fairy and pulls Sookie into it forever, leaving all of the boneheaded hard-legs here to their own B.S. games. They all suck.

Stormy Suz wrote: "Just finished an ARC of Dead Reckoning and, although I have been Team Eric all along, I'm sick of all of them and hope the fairy from the Christmas short story opens a hole into fairy and pulls Soo..."

very dreadfully put.

message 17: by Suz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suz Stormy wrote: "very dreadfully put..."

Yeah I know. There were, in fact, some good things about the book. Some things I've been whinging about wanting to see for a long time in regard to Sookie's character development.

The romance aspects, however, I feel pretty over with. In fact I'm sick of a 10 year flip flop with the romance aspects of this series and now just feel manipulated. Before I write the review I'm waiting until I'm not pissed off about it. Because I am really sick of the romance stuff in this series.

message 18: by Nurlely (last edited Apr 17, 2011 08:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely I have read all the series, book 1 to 10 and am waiting for book 11.
I loved that Sookie finally came to her mind and kicked the lame Bill out of her love life. I had been waiting for that. Bill is so lame.

Team ERIC!

message 19: by Stormy (last edited Apr 17, 2011 09:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stormy The guy that plays Bill on True Blood just freaks me out. lol He's kinda ruined my image of Bill that much worse. I hate the way he talks and all. I really liked Alcide but he became a jerk also.

I love how Eric was so sweet when he had amnesia. I wish my man was like that. =/ If that's how he was before he became a vampire I wish he never changed but then he wouldn't be in his position as the most powerful vampire in Area five. Ugh, his vengeance for Appius (the vampire who killed all his human family and took his father's crown) changed him.

Nurlely I love the reason of why Eric chose to come to Sookie. To where his heart is....that's so romantic.

But I am always biased of anything related to Eric. I know that Bill was Sookie's first love, but somehow it was so difficult for me to like him, even when Eric was not yet around. I fell for Eric right away...:)

Stormy Nurlely wrote: "I love the reason of why Eric chose to come to Sookie. To where his heart is....that's so romantic.

But I am always biased of anything related to Eric. I know that Bill was Sookie's first love, b..."

I never liked Bill either. I would quit reading if Sookie got back with him.

Nique Eric has done more for Skokie than Bill ever has!

Nique Oops Sookie!

message 24: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. I'm with you guys, Bill sucks (no pun intended).

I know that the TV show and the books are two separate things but I'm excited that they will make Eric have amnesia in the show too.

Nurlely I love Eric in the books, and I love Alexander Skarsgard as Eric. Alan Ball promised more Eric in True Blood 3 & 4.....Yippee...:)

message 26: by Suz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suz *braces for the shit storm that will rain down by the Eric Lovers after Dead Reckoning.*

message 27: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Suz wrote: "*braces for the shit storm that will rain down by the Eric Lovers after Dead Reckoning.*"

Uh-oh, I see you got an ARC. What did Eric do now? Or did Bill come back in the picture? Lol, I really don't care, the last book was boring, I think it's time for Sookie's story to end anyways.

Sillylittlefishey That doesn't sound very reassuring, Suz!!

And I totally agree with you Michelle...that last book sucked!! But for some reason most of my friends that read it LOVED it...and I just couldn't figure out why...

Nurlely Suz wrote: "*braces for the shit storm that will rain down by the Eric Lovers after Dead Reckoning.*"

Yup. All the tear will be pouring down or simply stop reading Sookie Stackhouse if Eric is no longer the main male character...:)

I wish Dead Reckoning will be the last book of the series. As much as I love Eric, I am starting to feel bored of the continuity, uncertainty of his relationship with Sookie....:( And I've got True Blood to make my day....:)

message 30: by Suz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suz Let's see if I can answer questions without spoiling. I really don't want to spoil.

NOTICE! EVERYTHING IN THE POST BELOW HERE WILL BE DISCUSSING DEAD RECKONING. IF YOU DON"T WANT TO KNOW - DON'T READ THIS POST.

I saw more maturity from Sookie than I've seen in any of the previous books. I have been whinging for some time about Sookie being kind of stagnant and repeating the same gaffes but she's much more pragmatic now. Some of you may find her colder, but I was glad to see it. She's not as torn by her morality anymore, although it's still there.

There was political and personal intrigue that is a continuation of the newer story arc and action that was tying up of loose ends.

I am, however, sick and tired of Charlaine Harris toying with my affections. We've been loyally allowing her to on-again, off-again us for over a decade when it comes to the romance. I don't much care that it's only been a couple of years for Sookie. Enough! The romance started out affirmed and as if finally we would see some confirmations we've wanted for a long time even if it's not without its issues to overcome, and then we get hit by a pickled herring out of left field...again.

When Sookie is over there will be no danger of me taking up any more of CH's series. I don't enjoy being toyed with.

Ariel TEAM ERIC!!:)

Nurlely Suz wrote: "I am, however, sick and tired of Charlaine Harris toying with my affections. We've been loyally allowing her to on-again, off-again us for over a decade when it comes to the romance. I don't much care that it's only been a couple of years for Sookie. Enough! The romance started out affirmed and as if finally we would see some confirmations we've wanted for a long time even if it's not without its issues to overcome, and then we get hit by a pickled herring out of left field...again. "

That's really tiresome and annoying. I also thought everything between Sookie and Eric would be settled down in Dead in the Family. The teaser even indicated there would be something good in it. And it ended up with another sequel to come. I am still curious of what will happen to them in Dead Reckoning but I might stop to that. Like you said, no one enjoy being toyed.

Team Eric!

message 33: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Nurlely wrote: "Suz wrote: "I am, however, sick and tired of Charlaine Harris toying with my affections. We've been loyally allowing her to on-again, off-again us for over a decade when it comes to the romance. I ..."

Honestly, I'm not going to read Dead Reckoning. I think I will be disappointed. I really enjoyed all the books in the series (okay, Dead in the Family not so much). But I tried to read my favorite again, Dead to the World, and I couldn't. I was bored! I couldn't understand why. I guess I have since found better series and heroines and now Sookie and her woes don't appeal to me anymore. Sookie is definitely Dead to me.

Nurlely Michelle wrote: "Honestly, I'm not going to read Dead Reckoning. I think I will be disappointed. I really enjoyed all the books in the series (okay, Dead in the Family not so much).....Sookie is definitely Dead to me. "

I will give it a last chance. If the plot is running in slow motion, just like Dead in the Family, I will stop myself from reading another sequel. I am still so desperate to know the ending between Eric and Sookie...
I don't re-read any of the books. They are not tempting enough...:)

message 35: by Suz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suz I recently re-read Dead Until Dark and Living Dead in Dallas and I had to force myself through them. The truth is I had no stomach for Bill at all and, because I know that the thing with Eric is going to be used to play with me I have lost interest in it, too.

Dead Reckoning has interesting plot elements and the story moves pretty quickly. However, I am so sick of being toyed with on the romance front that I've lost interest in the rest too.

I'll read the end of the series eventually, but if the next book after Dead Reckoning isn't the end that I heard it would be I may just wait until the series is finished before I read any more of them.

One thing is for sure - I will never read another Charlaine Harris series. I feel like once the series got sold to HBO the subsequent books became place holders to integrate earlier books with the TV show better. Whatever. I want to know what happens, but it's not must-read anymore by a long shot.

Sillylittlefishey Michelle wrote: "I tried to read my favorite again, Dead to the World, and I couldn't. I was bored! I couldn't understand why. I guess I have since found better series and heroines and now Sookie and her woes don't appeal to me anymore."

I had the same problem when I re-read Dead until Dark...I couldn't figure out how I liked it the first time. I own the books so I'll continue to try and re-read at my very slow pace....and see if it gets any better....

message 37: by Mags (last edited Apr 20, 2011 07:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mags Dead Reckoning is not the end? This is getting ridiculous. Is CH delusional? Does she believe that people are just going to continue reading this forever?

The last one bored me. I was looking forward to Dead Reckoning finally finishing the story with Sookie getting together with Eric.

No way will I ever start another CH series. I have been reading the Sookie series for 3 years and its been bad enough. I can only imagine how painful this has been for people who have been reading them since they first came out

message 38: by Suz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suz Mags wrote: "Dead Reckoning is not the end? This is getting ridiculous. Is CH delusional? Does she believe that people are just going to continue reading this forever?

The last one bored me. I was looking ..."

Sookie was already together with Eric in Dead in the Family and everyone thought it was boring. I agree. But they did kill Eric's sire in that book. It's relevant in Dead Reckoning and the relationship.

I do believe there is one more after Dead Reckoning (maybe two?) CH has said she's ready to close it up. If she ends it with Dead Reckoning then she'll be ending it with a lot of stuff just hanging out.

I think she drastically missed the mark by dragging the romance out too long. I think she's saving the HEA for the last book in the series and that was a bad idea when the books are written in first person and there are so many of them. The wishy washy romances are too much to bear after so long, I think.

I have a friend who hit the nail on the head. Before True Blood Charlaine Harris' writing was engaging and enjoyable, but the later books showed poor writing. I've hung in there in the hopes we would see a turn around but so far the turns have been slow to come and usually uninspiring.

Sillylittlefishey After Dead in the Family she signed a contract for 3 more books but I'm not sure if that is counting the Sookie Companion book that's coming out or not. So there will be 1 or 2 actual books after Dead Reckoning.

I think it's kind of silly for her to write books just with True Blood in mind....HBO doesn't keep series for very long...even if they do good. I can't see it going beyond 7 years because I can't think of another HBO series that has....

message 40: by Suz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suz She has stated more than once in recent interviews that Sookie has kind of taken over her life and she wants to write about other things. Once her current commitments are over with Sookie she's going to end the series. I'm thinking the three you refer to is Dead Reckoning, the companion book (both release this year) and the next Sookie book next year. I could be wrong and it could be two more instead of the one, but I don't think so.

Sillylittlefishey Well honestly if she isn't into it...then she shouldn't be writing any more because more then likely it will be crap if her heart isn't in it...

message 42: by Suz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suz I just read an advanced review of Dead Reckoning in which the author says that Sookie #13 will be the last one. Now whether that includes the Companion coming out later this year or not I couldn't say.

Sillylittlefishey I wouldn't think the companion would count toward the book # since the short stories haven't...but that's just my opinion..

Kanchan Team ERIC...!

message 45: by Anna (last edited May 03, 2011 09:32PM) (new)

Anna I loved this series so much that I read all 10 books in less than two months earlier this year, and as a working mom with two toddlers I don't have much free time! But CH set us up for Sookie and Eric, we are invested in them, and I can't imagine she could create a depth of character in a new suitor this late in the game to make us care enough for him. Even one of the regular cast, to make one of them step up as Sookie's true love (i.e. Sam, who would be most logical) would be SO boring and a lazy way out of the Sookie/Eric conundrum (we love them together, but how do they make it work with all they have going against them? Creatively solve this and make it work, don't be lazy and break them apart!). Ugh, it is like reading all of this and at the end getting the dreaded 'and then I woke up and realized everything (these past 11 books - ahem) was just a dream'.

Anyone other than Eric will be an incredibly unsatisfying conclusion to this series. Yes, people can break up after being together a long time...but that is depressing, why would anyone strung along through all these books want to end up depressed?!? It isn't that everything has to be tied up in a neat package and happily ever after - but we care about this couple, we want to somehow (even unconventionally) see them make it work.

I am writing as though Sookie and Eric are already done, and I have not read book 11 yet, but everything I am reading in interviews and reviews seem to hint in that direction. HUGELY disappointing. If CH ends the series that way, I will never read her again.

How stressful! A book series should be intriguing, sure, but this just feels like nails on a chalkboard, I wish I never got this invested now!

Stormy Yeah I'm reading Dead Reckoning after I finish Demonglass (Hex Hall 2) and I'm on the 3rd to the last chapter now. I hope I'm not disappointed. But from the Reviews it sounds like Sam and Sookie are spending more time together trying to figure out who bomb his bar or whatever and then she's worrying over Eric and Pam trying to kill their master or whatever he is.

Nurlely Oh My. I thought it will be released later. I love Eric. Going to search mode...:)

Sillylittlefishey Just started reading Dead Reckoning...I like it so far but it's early and nothing bad has come Eric and Sookie's way yet...I'm really hoping that they end up together in the last book...but I guess only time will tell. I first must get through this book...baby steps

Mad-Bibliobimbo Eric is a way better choice for her than Bill, he is supportive and kind where Bill was weak and obsessive.

Sillylittlefishey I never liked Bill...I always felt that he was just trying to get in her pants and never really cared so I wasn't surprised to find out that he was ordered to get close to her....ok it was a surprised but everything made sense after that.

« previous 1