Christian Readers discussion

The Da Vinci code

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nina!!!! (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

Nina!!!! | 4 comments Is this book something us Christians should consider in our judgment and conception of our spirtual life..is this book the plee of the devil to make us doubt god almighty? Or should Christians just avoid the book altogether.......

message 2: by Ryan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

Ryan | 20 comments Mod
This is an interesting topic and one that I've considered quite a bit. It's really difficult to give oen simple answer. Much of it depends on your personal walk with the Lord and why you're reading the book.

If you're a new believer and not very strong in your faith yet, then this book could cause you to call certain core doctrinal issues into question.

However, if you're a reasonably mature Christian and are reading the book to acquaint yourself with what it's about so as to have conversations with others that have read it, then it's probably ok. For example, I fly quite a bit and I usually read when flying. I've often had conversations about what I'm reading. When they find out its a book about Christianity they almost always ask if I've read the Da Vinci Code. Because I haven't, the conversation almost always ends right there. Had I read it, I could have had the opportunity to clear up the heretical teachings in it.

If you do get it, I'd suggest getting it at the library and not lining the pockets of the author. But that's just me.

message 3: by Ted (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

Ted Rohe (vangelicmonk) | 16 comments I have to agree with Ryan. I will probably buy the book used when I do read it. There are so many copies you can seriously buy one used on Amazon for .01 cent. Just paying for shipping.

I haven't read it yet just because I have been wanting to read so many other great books. I didn't want to waste my time on it. I knew enough about the storyline and the "fiction" of it to talk to others and lead them to great resources that answered their questions.

message 4: by Nina!!!! (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:12AM) (new)

Nina!!!! | 4 comments Thank you. But I am still not sure. I may read the book but I am afraid I will just judge the book while reading it and just confuse myself. But i will try to look for it the next time i go to the library. I do not want to become like those type of Christians that become so critical that they do not even help anyone nad spend all their life judging others around them and their way of life. Most Christains i know that are like that told me that Da Vinci code is a worthless book that makes no sense and is not worth reading...I wish i could just ignore them and raed the book but i still think taht they may have a point..

message 5: by Ted (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:12AM) (new)

Ted Rohe (vangelicmonk) | 16 comments It's a worthless book if you don't like thriller/mystery books and also don't believe the mythology behind it. Additionally, it is worthless if you don't plan on knowing about it to help someone who may be questioning Christ because of it.

I am all of those things except for that last one. That is one of the reasons why I want to read it. If it wasn't for that and the fact that the book is/was so popular, then I wouldn't give it the time of day.

message 6: by Heidi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:16AM) (new)

Heidi I'm a believer, and I've read it, and it really isn't as big a deal as some have made it out to be. If you remember that it's mass-media fiction and that many historians disagree with the author's premises, you can enjoy the story without getting too wrapped up in his theories.

It was an interesting read, but rather forgettable. I don't doubt that some people believe these things and that these ancient texts exist, but that doesn't necessarily make them true. It's kind of like Oliver Stone's movie about the JFK assassination: however convinced he may be, it's still a theory, and just one of many.

Bottom line: This book did not shake my belief in Jesus Christ.

message 7: by Danell (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:17AM) (new)

Danell The Da Vinci Code was an entertaining read, but never did I once think that it was a work of non-fiction. It was a good chase and find/mystery novel, but I just didn't really buy it. However, I do think that if people are not somewhat stable in their faith or knowledge of Christian history than it may cause some confusion - but hopefully they'll be smart enough to ask a lot of questions to people that are knowledgable about their faith.

message 8: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Jason Randolph (fstop11) | 2 comments I would echo what others have said here. First and foremost, it's a mystery/thriller. And it's a decent piece of mass market fiction in that regard. Second, it obviously uses Jesus' life and a theory that has been going around for a long time about Him to advance the plot.

Having been a Christian for a long while, it did nothing to cause me to question my faith, although it did cause me to reflect on the implications behind the story a bit. And I'm of the school of thought that to have an inquisitive mindset in regard to my spiritual life is a healthy thing. I would go so far as to say that it strengthened my faith without changing my beliefs.

I would say that there's nothing wrong with reading it. I think it's a fun read, and I'm not usually a fan of most of the mass market stuff out there. But you have to take it for what it is: a novel.