The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > ok ladies..i need help!!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) So..for my Entrepreneurship class we have to do a whole business plan for a business of our choosing. I am doing the thing i want to do most in my life..a boutique. Basically its going to be a mid to high end boutique for older teens and ladies in their 20's & 30's. The style is going to be like a little more higher end Urban Outfitter/TopShop meets things like See by Chloe, Marc Jacobs, etc. its definitely fashion forward type boutique.

so i need YOUR help because I need a NAME!! my name is too boring to name it something like Marc by Marc Jacobs. haha..soo..i would be so appreciative if you all would help me brainstorm a name!

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 283 comments "Lorelai" of course!

message 3: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) I think something like that depends on what route you want to take in naming it... If you want it to be from something related to you, think about your middle/last name, fav color, person closest to you, etc... If you list a few random facts about you, we might be able to knock our heads together to think of something :)
Also list a few more ideas of the type of boutique you want it to be, because you might be able to get something based off that (e.g: Forever 21's clothes is for people in the 21yr old range)

message 4: by Kellen (new)

Kellen | 6 comments I agree with Loreli or maybe Sooki, her name is cool.

message 5: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Yeah, Sooki could be good--although it is sort of a popular name for a cow, isn't it? Should probably scratch that one.

Madison's, or Maddie's? That's a popular name in that age group, isn't it?

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 100 comments I agree with Anastasia. Give us some details about yourself and we will see what we can come up with. :-)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) ok sounds like a good brainstorming idea:

few facts about myself:
-im obsessed with fashion (obviously!) :)
- i love audrey hepburn & Edie Sedgwick is my style icon!
- i have an obsession with really cute buttons.
-i like really unique colors, patterns, etc.
-I love music! ( what most people would classify as "indie" rock.....& most of all..classic rock!)
-my favorite movie is amelie.
- my favorite color is yellow..bright yellow!

message 8: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) OOh, i love that movie!

Amelie
Indie

those two seem simple and catchy enough to stand on their own... :-?

Indie Yellow?

I like that too. I can see going to a store called Indie Yellow..

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) hmm that is interesting. i really like the idea of putting yellow in there somewhere.

message 10: by Arctic (last edited Sep 16, 2008 12:32PM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments yellow when it sizzles

do you have a favorite flower? or other design inspiring object?

i've always wanted to open a bookshop and call it Embryo Concepts. (from Funny Face)

I really like Deb's suggestion too. :) Lorelai was all about fashion.

Sabrina would be okay too I think.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 16, 2008 01:54PM) (new)

How about Audrey Tiffany's? Maybe not very original, but itÄs sort of a pun (Audrey Hepburn and Breakfast at Tiffany's), it reflects what you like, Audrey Hepburn was very fashionable and elegant and she fits in nicely with the intended age group.
Another idea: Audrey at Tiffany's.

message 12: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Take it from me, there is no way in h3ll that she'll want to use the name Tiffany in it at all. My girlfriend (named Tiffany) had a business that was called "Simply Tiffany" and Tiffany's sued her for brand infringement. HUGE thing and she is sunk as a result - even though she altered the name they still went hard and the lawyer bills alone, much less the rest of it, has been crushing. The irony is she was a huge fan of Tiffany's before then, but for her company it was just her name!

I like "Yellow When It Sizzles." That's cute. Amelie is also my favorite movie (the colors alone!), but again I'd suggest not relating to anything you could get sued over. But something referencing the movie would be fine... a French catch-phrase... or like, say, "Skipping Stones." But honestly I think "Indie Yellow" would be a bigger hit. Foreign things go in and out of fashion and you don't want to be on the backside of that swing. How about "Busy as a Button?"

Another idea is to think about words that describe the feeling of "yellow" to you. That sounds weird, but seriously I could do that with my favorite color (heck, the color could just about describe me) and come up with something fantastic!

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 100 comments I really have to agree... you do not want any chance of being sued... But I do like "Indie Yellow" or even "Rock 'n' Yellow" but if you do not want to just say yellow you can put something to the idea that you like buttons... like "Cute as a Button". But I will try to come up with something else or even better. :-)

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 40 comments OK it may sound more "craft" like but what about "Yellow Buttons"?

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 283 comments Indie Yellow definitely has cache.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments Random ideas connected to your likes:

Yellow Holiday
Love in the Yellow
Button Love
Eliza's
High Buttons

And my favorite

Gigi's (which was my first instinct as it is Gilmore Girls related, catchy, and the name of a Hepburn Film)

message 17: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments I SO agree with Michele - You don't want the blue box coming down on you. And they would.

What about Holly Golightly? (Fair Use, plus TC is dead). Or, if you wanted to amp up the reference, call the store "Cat". It only works, of course, if you have some immediate visual reference to BT (which you could have if you stole my icon, lol). Alternatively, "Think Yellow," which is a play on a song in Funny Face ("Think Pink"). I also really like Indie Yellow, but I am not sure what it conveys.

Point of order, however. Gigi was a Leslie Caron film, not Audrey Hepburn. Everyone always thinks it was Audrey because she looks exactly like her on the cover and the posters, but it was totally Leslie.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments I mispoke when saying it was a Film...it was the Broadway version Hepburn was in. Thanks for catching that Courtney.