Life of Pi Life of Pi discussion

New Illustrated Life of PI

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nancy There is an illustrated version of Life of Pi out now. I have seen only the cover pages posted on Amazon, and I wonder, is it worth buying? Did it enhance your reading experience in any way? If so, how?

message 2: by Jamie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:59PM) (new)

Jamie I just saw this at the book store. I haven't read either book so I can't say about enhanced reading, but it is a beautiful book. The illustrations are very nice and the pages are glossy. If I loved a book I would want to have a copy like this for my shelf.

message 3: by peg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

peg Okay. I have to confess I couldn't resist buying the illustrated version of Pi when I was in the book store two days ago. I don't think that it enhances the story in any way but the illustrations are great and I enjoy looking at them as I pause to digest what I have read. I love the size of the print, the glossy pages and colorful design. An illustrated book for adults. What fun!!

message 4: by Jamie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Jamie I'm glad you like it. Now I'm intrigued. Are you interested in selling your paperback copy?

message 5: by peg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

peg Jamie - Sorry. My paperback copy is somewhere in Europe right now. I gave it to my daughter who was visiting me a few weeks ago and she took it home to The Netherlands. When she got there, she loaned the book to a friend. Who knows where it might turn up next week. That dang book is traveling to all the places I want to go! :D

message 6: by Jamie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Jamie That's cool. I like it when books are well-traveled and well-read. I will pick up a copy here. Thanks.

message 7: by Marta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marta yes, that's why I often buy used books, I just love the idea od reading a book which have been read by so many people!!

message 8: by peg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

peg While it is neat to think about a book passing through many pairs of hands I get a little skeeved out when I come across an unusual stain or wrinkled page.Sometimes unwelcome questions pop into my head like: Was this someone's bathroom book?, Is this a pet stain? or Did someone read this in the bathtub? Then I quickly put it down and run for the nearest bookstore :D

message 9: by Shannon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shannon I haven't yet read Life of Pi (it's waiting it's turn on my shelf), but I picked up the illustrated book the other day and flipped through it. I had a sudden urge to buy it for one illustration in particular, which I loved instantly: it was of three men glaring down, pained as from below. It didn't really have a title and I'm not sure what page it was on, but it was gorgeous and I'd kill to have a print of the original on my wall! It's very intense and with just a hint of menace, but reminds me so much of the grandfather who intimidated me when I was a little girl, simply by virtue of having to look up at him and his very bald head! Can't explain the attraction to this illustration very well, but if I had the money I'd buy the book.

All the paintings in it looked great, but this one in particular really spoke to me.