Ender's Jeesh discussion

best ender book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Damon (new)

Damon I think speaker for the dead is the best one out there besides ender's game itself

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) I'd have to read them all again to decide which one I liked the best. I've just read Ender's Shadow for the first time and loved it, so at the moment it's my "best one".

message 3: by Kandice (new)

Kandice (sindylab) | 3 comments Speaker for the Dead is also my favorite, but Children of the Mind is a very close second.

message 4: by Bob (new)

Bob Bateman Speaker for the Dead was the original in the series, albeit the short story for Ender's Game came way before. After he wrote Speaker for the Dead he realized that it needed a prequel, thus came Ender's Game. So, I think Speaker for the Dead is truly the heart of the series.

message 5: by Carin (new)

Carin | 2 comments As far as the best in the Ender series, I'd have to say Ender's Game, with Ender's Shadow coming in a close second are my favorites. I can't wait to read Ender in Exile, which is coming out in November.

I know this group is "Ender's Jeesh" so I guess we're focused on OCS's most popular sci-fi series, but I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on OSC's other writings. To be honest, there are not many of his writings I don't like. Does anyone have opinions on his other books such as Songmaster, Wyrms, Enchantment, the Women in Genesis series, Magic Street, the Alvin Maker series, etc.?

message 6: by Damon (new)

Damon I've Never Read them

message 7: by Bob (new)

Bob Bateman I've read quite a bit of OSC stuff myself. I love the Alvin the Maker series. Quite a unique fantasy, after reading so many Tolkien fantasy style books it was refreshing.

Enchantment was fun, I think disney ripped off the OSC for the concept that they made into the movie Enchanted.

I haven't gotten into Women in Genesis series, but I did read Stone Tables.

message 8: by Kandice (last edited Sep 30, 2008 02:52PM) (new)

Kandice (sindylab) | 3 comments His series tend to draw me in more. Love Alvin Maker series, and the Homecoming series is fantastic. His Invasive Procedures, written with someone else, was not very good, imo.

I haven't read any others, but will be on the lookout for them.

message 9: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) There are a lot of Card's books that I haven't read! I loved the Alvin the Maker series - the interweaving of folk magic is fabulous. And I really like his short stories, especially the ones that involve music.

message 10: by Doug (new)

Doug | 7 comments Just finished Ender's game. Thought it was fully loaded with symbolism, maybe I am taking it to deep.

message 11: by Bob (new)

Bob Bateman That's the cool thing about his books, on the surface they are a great read, fun story, but you can delve in deeper. That's probably why that book has done so well.

message 12: by Doug (new)

Doug | 7 comments Went out and got Speaker of the Dead or whatever. Excited to read the whole series. Ever read The Belgariad? Personally believe it's the best 5 book series on the planet. We'll see what Ender can do.

message 13: by James (new)

James (random1634) Still new to this series, But i managed to come upon an interview with Orson Scott Card, about the Ender's game book, and how he adapted the short story into a novel for the sole purpose of making it transition to the book Speaker of the Dead, which he already had the idea of before making Ender's game into a book. He seems like a very versatile writer and I plan on reading a lot more of his books.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Doug, maybe you are taking it too deep my young padawan. Maybe sometimes a writer just wants to write a story? Think about that?

OK...I must admit that Speaker is pretty deep when it comes to relationships with other cultures and what not. I mean I could go on forever. This is what I truly thought about the series so far:

1. Anti-Imperialism. After finishing Speaker for the Dead is quite clear that the humans are imperialistic. The piggies were meant to be controlled.

2. Anti-Pre-Emptive Strike. This comes natural becuase of the guilt that Ender feels for destroying the buggers. Because of what the humans didn't understand they wiped them from the universe.

3. Anti-Big Government. It's pretty scary how controlling the government is in the series. Who's to say that our government won't become what Ender had to deal with?

These are just some beginning thoughts. I'd love to hear from anyone else...especially you Doug!

PS. The Belgariad? Please...child's play.

message 15: by Doug (new)

Doug | 7 comments Classy, how am I taking it to deep when you yourself just listed all my main points and you yourself said you could go on forever? Think about that.

message 16: by Doug (new)

Doug | 7 comments Oh yea, and name a better 5 book series than the belgariad.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Doug,

Ever heard of sarcasm? I thought I was laying it on pretty thick. I mean, it might be as deep as Crater Lake in Oregon for all we know! as for a better series? I think the cover of Live and Let Die speaks for itself.

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris | 1 comments This looks like a rather old thread, but I'll add my 2 cents; a question was posed about other books by Card, it took me about 75 pages to get into Enchantment, but once I did, I couldn't get to the end fast enough--really enjoyed it. I've also heard a lot of good things about PastWatch - The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. I haven't read it yet, but it will likely be my next Card novel.

message 19: by Doug (new)

Doug | 7 comments Chris wrote: "This looks like a rather old thread, but I'll add my 2 cents; a question was posed about other books by Card, it took me about 75 pages to get into Enchantment, but once I did, I couldn't get to th..."

Two cents is better than no sense.

message 20: by Cooper (new)

Cooper | 1 comments Speaker for the dead then enders game then Ender in Exile then enders shadow

message 21: by Larry (new)

Larry (electricfire7319) | 1 comments I must say that Ender's Shadow is my favorite(aside from Ender's Game). In Ender's Game Bean is shown as a insubordinant snotty kid,who was good. The book devles deeper into his life. Without it you would've never even begun to image his actual background!!! I read Ender's Game First, and I could not get Bead out of my head, then I found out that ther was his story. I immediatly read it. It is very close to being better than Ender's Game(almost, but not quite there)

message 22: by Karina (new)

Karina I absoultly loved Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead comes second but not by far.

message 23: by Joe (new)

Joe | 1 comments Ender's Game is the best, Speaker is 2nd. I have read Xenocide but not Children of the mind yet.

message 24: by Doug (new)

Doug | 7 comments Xenocide was the worst book I have ever read. Period. Speaker and Ender's Game amazing, xenocide was so bad i cursed my mother for ever teaching me to read.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I love your post on Xenocide. Worst book ever? Really? That's harsh. But we must be honest with our emotions and true to the feelings that guide us in our lives. Did I like it? Let me just put it as eloquently as I can.

I have always been able to finish a book. Never in have I ever NOT been able to sit down and push through a book. I can even push myself through the Book of Isiah if I have to. However, after 125 pages (out of 350 or something like that) my wife had to restrain me from putting this book in our fireplace and burning any memory of it in our house.

message 26: by Peter (new)

Peter (scifireader) | 1 comments My favorite book is Ender's Game but overall I think that the Shadow Saga is better than the Ender series. Apart from the last Shadow book, I didn't enjoy that much at all.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

better? really? i'll have to look into that.

message 28: by Harry (new)

Harry (fireagle22) | 1 comments Xenocide, Children of the mind, and Shadow of the giant are the best in my mind. with a war of gifts as a nice side story. ALL ORSON SCOTT CARD BOOKS ARE GOOD.

message 29: by Holly (new)

Holly | 1 comments SHADOW OF THE HEGEMON.no one can beat a book on Peter.

message 30: by Mike (last edited Jun 30, 2010 10:18AM) (new)

Mike | 14 comments Mod
I think that the two best OSC books are Enchanted and Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus.

Enchanted is also one of the books that OSC claims as his best along with Magic Street (Which I didn't like as much).

Pastwatch is just an amazing Novel. It combines two of my favorite genres Historical Fiction and Science Fiction, if you want to read about what could have been this is a wonderful book to make you think. I did have trouble with the style of the writing. It almost felt like watching a documentary not watching a movie. Once I got past that I was really able to enjoy the book.

Enders Game is still one of my favorite as well. I would list those three as the best OSC books.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Ender's Game is the best

message 32: by Julia (new)

Julia | 7 comments Enders game and Enders Shadow are the best, and speaker for the dead is the second best for me.

message 33: by Angelique (new)

Angelique Wayne | 2 comments Ender's Game. The first.

message 34: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Chiarino | 1 comments I would have to say that Ender in Exile is my second favorite. I see Speaker for the Dead and following two as a different story.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (MonikerSlash) | 1 comments Hi! Call me Moniker! I am currently reading Ender's Shadow and it's pretty good. My library no have Ender's Game. :( I love Card's Work. My favorite is Empire!

message 36: by Angelique (new)

Angelique Wayne | 2 comments Hm. Well after expanding my reading to many of the other novels in the series, I can't make a final decision. I'm going through the Shadow series currently which is pretty good. It's incredibly funny and ironic to me that Bean was always teased for being the shortest and now... he's the giant.

message 37: by Alyson (new)

Alyson (asineth) | 3 comments Ender's Game, for me. It means so much to me, no other book would be able to compare.

For the "Shadow" series I didn't like Ender's Shadow very much, but I thought Shadow of the Hegemon was really, really good.

Katiisoriginal  | 4 comments ENDER'S GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 39: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Brunner | 4 comments Ended game in the most touching heart crushing book in the series. Sure ender dies in the last book but that would not be important if Enders game did not exsist.

message 40: by Maria (last edited Apr 20, 2014 06:30PM) (new)

Maria (halnix) | 4 comments I haven't read much of OSC's books; just Ender's Game, to be honest. But it's rather hard to choose a favourite from just those 4 books, novellas not included though. Each has its own flavour and focus.
But if I were to choose, it'll probably be Children of the Mind. It ties in the action and angstiness [if that's a word] of Ender's Game, and also the contemplative mood of Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide.

message 41: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 11 comments Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Ender in Exile.

message 42: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wjpike1) | 3 comments Speaker for the Dead is my choice. I love EG, but it was really just necessary to introduce the characters and to understand all that happens in SftD. That's the book that was most well written. I am still plugging through Xenocide, uggh!

message 43: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 11 comments Wendy wrote: "Speaker for the Dead is my choice. I love EG, but it was really just necessary to introduce the characters and to understand all that happens in SftD. That's the book that was most well written. I ..."
I know how you feel about Xenocide. Not that I didn't like it but it took me longer to read than any of the other ten that I read.

message 44: by Duncan (new)

Duncan | 5 comments Speaker For The Dead in my opinion it kept sophisticated things in play and helped me understand Ender himself more.

message 45: by Shawntay (new)

Shawntay | 6 comments I'd say xenocide is my favorite, that and children of the mind. I'm currently reading the shadow series and I'm on the third one of those

message 46: by Maria (new)

Maria (halnix) | 4 comments Xenocide took some time to read through..

message 47: by Duncan (new)

Duncan | 5 comments I'm reading that right now

message 48: by Shawntay (new)

Shawntay | 6 comments Yes but I loved how many alien life forms there are and planets. I also love the culture in both of those. I just like the concepts

message 49: by Duncan (new)

Duncan | 5 comments Totally agree with you my favorite thing is how the author makes so many ways to perceive things

message 50: by Shawntay (new)

Shawntay | 6 comments Especially Jane I'm most impressed by Jane and her role in everything

« previous 1