Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight discussion

Similarities between twilight and Jane eyre

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Rochester Edward constantly reminds her of the age gap as does rochester
-edward is not very forthcoming with his emotions, he just tells bella that he is addicted to her scent rather thansaying that he loves her, similarly rochester proposes to jane, but confuses her first saying how he is proposing to another
-like in new moon Jane comes to rochesters rescue in the end.
-their relationship is abrupt and confusing at the begining
-both males treat their girls in a petlike manner
-both males are musical in one form or another
-both in first person
-both girls doubt their beauty

Lena IDK, it seems like a stretch to me.

message 3: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat HAHA! Like anyone with the grace to read the well written, detailed, emotion master piece Jane Eyre would even touch Twilight if not just for experiment purposes.

Lena I read them both. But then, I'm pretty open minded as far as reading goes.

Abby~*walking in the rain*~ these two books could not be more different !!! jane is strong, independent, she always does what she believes is correct and she knows she deserves better that to just be rochesters mistress. on the other hand bella is shallow and utterly dependent on edward and doesnt believe she is good enough for edward. edward and rochester are also nothing alike rochester is reserved, tempermental, and charming whiltst edward is solemn and intense. jane doesnt go to rescue rochester like bella , jane goes because she cannot bear to be away from him and shes not super dramaticly sucidal over it. Plus the relationship between rochester and jane is quite different from the relationship between bella and edward.... sorry they are nothing alike!!!

message 6: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Rochester i wasn't saying they were that similar geez. don't need to get mad at me. i was just wondering if anyone had noticed THOSE similarities, between THE RELATIONSHIPS(only) . I love Jane Eyre and Admit it is far better than twilight and the storyline and characters are different. but what about the similarities of the RELATIONSHIPS that i mentioned. nobody said they were wrong... what do you think of those... next time i shall have to write an extremely detailed booring essay explaining everything so nobody misses any thing and interprets me incorrectly. simillarities does not equal same or similar it just means there are a few similarities and i was wondering if anybody else had noticed them, apart from myself.

Meeeriams Fleep You simply CANNOT undertake in comparing Jane Eyre with Twilight without having some sort of literary comeback. Not saying this in any offensive way whatsoever. I have read both books and in my opinion Jane Eyre was the masterpeice while Twilight was a complete flunk. NO OFFENSE TO TWILIGHT READERS OR ANYTHING BUT SERIOUSLY??? Twlight? Jane Eyre? I dont see the resemblance at all. Its like comparing a manky cat to erm, Buckingham Palace!

Meeeriams Fleep Natalie wrote: "i wasn't saying they were that similar geez. don't need to get mad at me. i was just wondering if anyone had noticed THOSE similarities, between THE RELATIONSHIPS(only) . I love Jane Eyre and Admit..."

I think u were a bit right about the relationships. well observed. It seems to me as though you like both books, because of the content of romance.

message 9: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Rochester exactly thankyou for understanding me. i know that twilight is way out of Jane eyre's league. i just wanted to know if anyone had noticed the similarities in the relationships or thought i was right about them. thankyou.

message 10: by 1luvbooks (new) - added it

1luvbooks Um, no. None of those "similarities" were even realistic. It just seems like you want to stretch them so you can compare twilight, which is not that good, to Jane Eyre, which IS good. Honestly? Don't drag jane down like that. She's a thousand times better then Bella will ever be.

message 11: by 1luvbooks (new) - added it

1luvbooks *No offense!

message 12: by Lena (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lena I think you could probably take any classic w/ a romantic theme and compare Twilight to it. Those are common romance themes, not specific to Jane Eyre. I'm sure if you really reached, you could compare Twilight to Pride and Prejudice or any Jane Austen book too.

Stacey Natalie, I believe that your opinion is correct. People interpret and compare literature differently but you have stated that this is *your* opinion regarding the 2 books, not that it is a literary fact. I am not going to insult you over comparing Jane Eyre to Twilight, it is trivial. Something else for all of us to consider is, why are we not respecting your opinion? Theoretically, opinions are not interpreted as either correct or incorrect. I think that you have listed several broad, interesting points regarding the relationship. I agree with many of the others in the sense that the details concerning the 2 stories are significantly different. Once again, this is all "in my opinion."

message 14: by Gerd (last edited Jun 13, 2011 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd 1luvbooks wrote: "Um, no. None of those "similarities" were even realistic. It just seems like you want to stretch them so you can compare twilight, which is not that good, to Jane Eyre, which IS good. Honestly? Don..."

Exactly, you can't do that to Bella, ermm, Jane... ah, to hell with it, a plague on both their houses!

Lena wrote: "I think you could probably take any classic w/ a romantic theme and compare Twilight to it. Those are common romance themes, not specific to Jane Eyre. I'm sure if you really reached, you could com..."

Agreed, if you break down any literary work on a broad enough scale you will always find similarities with other works.

Romances have a tendency to revolve around the never changing aspects and fears of getting involved with another. I don't actually see how comparing twilight and Jane Eyre is supposed to serve as an insult to one or the other in that regard, a work comparison is not about placing value on one or the other.

message 15: by Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady I've read both..yea twilight is my guilty pleasure. They're not even in the same ballpark. Thats kind of like comparing Poe to rapper -_-

message 16: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Rochester i think what most of you were missing was that i did not say they were the same . all i said was that they were similarities between the realtionships in the novel not the novels themselves.

message 17: by Lena (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lena @Natalie--I get it. I took no offense to the comparison, as it seems some people have. I can honestly see how you could compare Twilight to just about any book. Or the relationship in Twilight to any romance novel. Sure, there are some similarities, and it can be fun to do that kind of list. But I dont think it's intentional on SM's part. She just wrote a fairly formulaic romance novel, spiced it up by making the emotionally unavailable have an extra obstacle, and voila. Twilight was born. You could compare it to any other book, too.
Just as an example, I will use your above list to compare Twilight to (Insert generic romance novel title here):
--the man constantly reminds the damsel in distress why they can't be together (one of the books obstacles made apparent through dialogue, aka, telling not showing)
--the man is not forthcoming with his emotions (never read a romance novel where the man was)
--someone rescues someone else at the end (when does this NOT happen in romance novels? Not always life and death rescue, could be financial, emotional, etc)
--the relationship is abrupt (they are attracted to each other for reasons we can't yet understand-usually b/c the man is hot, like in twilight...i'm not sure why you think it's confusing. it's standard)
--the man is condescending to the woman (also standard romance novel stuff)
--the guy has some kind of talent the girl finds attractive
--um...tons of books are in first person
--the girl is insecure

there! I just compared Twilight to every romance novel ever written in first person! That was fun! See, you can compare it to any book, not just Jane Eyre.

message 18: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Rochester i know that you can compare it to any other book. and i normally don't read romance so i wouldn't have known that.

message 19: by Gerd (last edited Jun 14, 2011 06:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Darkrose wrote: "I've read both..yea twilight is my guilty pleasure. They're not even in the same ballpark. Thats kind of like comparing Poe to (a) rapper -_-"

Again, and where would be the problem with that?
Apart from the difficulty to find a common base between

"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,"
and
"Yo, all y' b*tches shake ya a**,"

Natalie wrote: "i know that you can compare it to any other book. and i normally don't read romance so i wouldn't have known that."

Oh, but you can, and to any work you like.
It's not so that it wouldn't make any sense at all to compare "twilight" to other works in the romance field. To compare, for example, how "twilight" makes use of popular romance tropes in comparision to, say, how "Jane Eyre" fares.

Only snobs would nay that.

message 20: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin I understand what you said and although I find some of the comparisons unnecessary, I agree to some extent that their personalities have similar traits (I was actually looking for a discussion of this kind to see if anybody else thought the same!)
First, I should say that I don't like Twilight, and that I like Jane Eyre but don't consider it the literary masterpiece some people do.
As for the two main characters, what I find similar about them is that they are both quite, solitary girls, and they fall in love with a distant, kind of dominant man that orders them around and wants to protect them as if they were little thing that could break. And, specially Jane, they actually like to be dominated by their man. Jane (and Bella would probably do the same in a different time period) likes serving him and doing everything he tells her to do (without even asking questions?!), and still loves him after finding out about his darkest secrets. I really don't see how people can say she's a strong female character. The only good decision she made, in my opinion, was leaving Rochester, but she ruined everything when she went back and married him!

message 21: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Rochester Sil wrote: "I understand what you said and although I find some of the comparisons unnecessary, I agree to some extent that their personalities have similar traits (I was actually looking for a discussion of t..."
lol. that's what the jacob fans thought about bella going back to save edward

message 22: by Lena (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lena True.

message 23: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Rochester Gerd wrote: "Darkrose wrote: "I've read both..yea twilight is my guilty pleasure. They're not even in the same ballpark. Thats kind of like comparing Poe to (a) rapper -_-"

Again, and where would be the prob..."
btw. wherein twilight did you see "Yo bitches" written. That's not in my edition.

message 24: by Gerd (last edited Jun 15, 2011 04:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Natalie wrote: "btw. wherein twilight did you see "Yo bitches" written. That's not in my edition.
..."

That's because you didn't read the "twilight" for Rapper's and Gangsta's edition. :D

Nah, just meant to point out that it would be more difficult to compare something by Poe to any given piece of Rap music than "twilight" to any given Romance, though not impossible.

message 25: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Rochester ok. then. i understand now.

Stephanie NOOO NOOO NOOOOO!!!! Don't make these comparisons!!! They are way to diffrert! It's too much of a strech and at least Jane was never a whinny girl. She understood what she had to do! She didn't sit down in the forest and cry!

Prerak EEEwww! A book as great as Jane Eyre...and A book as_______well, as SICKENING as Twilight! Urgh!
Jane was so perfect character...so independent, so strong, full of flaws and yet so beautifully carved...Bella? On the other hand, she is DULL, annoying, Dumb girl...
And hello, our dear celebrity, Edward...well, what does he do except sniff at her, stare at her...wow! what a great character...
and the villains...my God, should I say anything? God..no chance of comparision between Jane the Great, and Twilight the super worse

Tanecia What jane eyre book are you guystalking about I would totally love to read it if its any where near twilight!

message 29: by Dee (last edited Jul 11, 2011 05:47AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee while I don't necessarily agree with the comparision - I think the OP did a good job in outlining why she felt this way and they seem to be valid points to consider

@Tt - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - its one of my favorite classics

message 30: by F.A. (last edited Jul 11, 2011 07:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

F.A. Hershey I wouldn't go as far as comparing both novels, and I don't know about Chalotte Bronte but I've read somewhere that Stephenie Meyer considers Jane Austen to be one of her favourite authors of all time, and so I guess she could easily have been inspired by her novels and even influenced by them while writing the Twilight Saga.
She might have done it purposefully, but maybe not.. maybe it was just a coincidence..

leia_solo I like Twilight, but it shouldn't even be compared to Jane Eyre.

message 32: by Dee (last edited Jul 11, 2011 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee I dunno - I think it would make a good english lit essay, compare and contrast the themes and charactizations as presented in Jane Eyre and Twilight or use it as a debate - Team Eyre vs. Team Twilight

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I used to be team Twilight and I'd read it all the time, but after expanding my reading genre I've realized how much I dislike it. I am currently reading Jane Eyre and from what I've read so far, I've found Jane to be strong and confident, much unlike Bella who was whiny and annoying. Jane Eyre is a great book and should NEVER be compared to anything as bad as Twilight.

BubblesTheMonkey I'd have to think about it for awhile. It's not like they are meant to be similar. Twilight was supposed to be similar to Pride and Prejudice, right?

Stephanie Rebecca''[Don'tTryToFixMeI'mNotBroken] wrote: "I used to be team Twilight and I'd read it all the time, but after expanding my reading genre I've realized how much I dislike it. I am currently reading Jane Eyre and from what I've read so far, I..." I agree with you there. I use to really like Twilight, but then I read much better books and said to myself wow... Twilight was a low point in my book reading career.

message 36: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna One is a classic and the other is not.

SarahO I actually agree that there are some similarities as far as the romance goes between Twilight and Jane Eyre (and if my friend ever finds out I said this she'd kill me.lol). They both fall for domineering men who are older, condescending, and sometimes violent (well, at least in Rochester's part.) Neither girls are very strong willed but Jane had the upper hand because no matter how much it hurt her she left Rochester because it was the right thing to do. That was really the only part of Jane Eyre I liked. Though there are some comparisons, Twilight is definitely the weaker story.
And for those who try to compare Twilight with Pride and Prejudice there is no way a comparison. Elizabeth Bennett and the other women and men in the story are a lot more strong willed and better mannered. They don't let the other sex control them and if theres something they don't like they're going to call the other person on it. it's a more equal relationship.(Yes, I am a P&P fan not a Jane Eyre or Twilight fan.lol)

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

SarahO wrote: "I actually agree that there are some similarities as far as the romance goes between Twilight and Jane Eyre (and if my friend ever finds out I said this she'd kill me.lol). They both fall for domin..."

I agree. Pride and Prejudice is amazing! Elizabeth is a much better character than either Jane or Bella and Twilight should NEVER be compared to that classic either.

Rihanna lovely Twilight is better tath "LUXE" thing !!!! like totely yeah!!!

Amanda Brandt I understand that you could find similarities in the relationships but I agree with the others that you could do that with any romantic story. I read Twilight to see what all the fuss was about and the more I read it the more I hated it. I apologize to all the Twilight fans but I think Bella is the stupidest girl that ever lived.
I also find it to be a sad comparison as Jane Eyre is so far above Twilight you cannot really discuss them in the same sentence.
No offense intended I just can't stand to see one of my favorite books put on the same level as Twilight.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Amanda wrote: "I understand that you could find similarities in the relationships but I agree with the others that you could do that with any romantic story. I read Twilight to see what all the fuss was about an..."

I completely agree!

Janet Are you sure you don't mean Wuthering Heights? They torture each other, just as Catherine and Heathcliff do. Plus the obvious that it is mentioned repeatedly in the books.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Janet wrote: "Are you sure you don't mean Wuthering Heights? They torture each other, just as Catherine and Heathcliff do. Plus the obvious that it is mentioned repeatedly in the books."

I think that's a good point, I never thought about it like that before. I didn't think to see the Wuthering Heights as a part of the plot like Romeo and Juiliet.

message 44: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie ♥Becca'♥..LovesEvanescence..♥ wrote: "SarahO wrote: "I actually agree that there are some similarities as far as the romance goes between Twilight and Jane Eyre (and if my friend ever finds out I said this she'd kill me.lol). They both..."

I agree that it shouldn't be compared to the classic, but, I do believe that Meyer used a lot of different works from classic novels to shakespeare as an inspiration for plot development.

Furqan It's moronic to even compare Jane with Bella.

Kerri I wouldn't compare Twilight to any of the classics (I don't even do that with Harry Potter), but I did notice more references to Wuthering Heights, by Charlotte's sister Emily. I even thought that the love-story aspect would parallel WH's, Jacob as Heathcliff (constant brooder), and Edward as Edgar (the rich spoiled kid who gets the girl), but Twilight wasn't executed as well. Heathcliff has become the universal male character in a lot of stories. But that's where it ends for me, the classics being a model for writers because of the beloved characters, enduring power, and strength of the writing.

People love the classics and something has to be really good to just compare it too. I don't think Twilight is good enough, sorry to say, but if it makes you feel better I was a Twilight fan at one point (not a twihard), and I don't think Twilight has the staying power, I think it's just trendy.