Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Two Dictionaries?

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lora (new)

Lora | 81 comments Why is there two dictionaries on the Kindle 3? The users guide says the default dictionary is The New Oxford American Dictionary. Is one dictionary better than the other? If I only want one dictionary on my Kindle can I delete the other? I don't see this discussed in the user's guide.

message 2: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PG4003) | 243 comments Lora, as I understand it, since the Kindle is also sold in the UK, The Oxford Dictionary of English is UK English, The American Dictionary is US English.

message 3: by Lora (new)

Lora | 81 comments Patricia wrote: "Lora, as I understand it, since the Kindle is also sold in the UK, The Oxford Dictionary of English is UK English, The American Dictionary is US English."

Can I delete one of them? I can't find a way of doing that. I'm trying to organize and don't want unnecessary stuff on there.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I couldn't find a way to delete one, although it's entirely possible that I just don't know the way to do it! The most I could do was put one in my Archive.

message 5: by Lora (new)

Lora | 81 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I couldn't find a way to delete one, although it's entirely possible that I just don't know the way to do it! The most I could do was put one in my Archive."

Well I sent an email to Kindle help and asked them and they said you couldn't delete one! That just seems dumb to me. Which brings me to the question of the Archive. What is the Archive used for? Other than to put an unneeded dictionary in? lol

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Lora wrote: "What is the Archive used for? Other than to put an unneeded dictionary in? lol "

When you delete ebooks that you purchased from Amazon they wind up in your archive. You can download them again at any time from there, provided that your wi-fi or 3G is turned on.

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PG4003) | 243 comments Your Archive shows you all the books that you "own" from Amazon, whether they are on your Kindle or not. If you don't want them taking up space on your Kindle, you can Delete them and they will still be stored in the Archives at Amazon.

If you don't like the dictionaries being listed on your Home page, you may want to do what I did. I created a Collection called Kindle Info. Then I put the Welcome letter from Amazon, the user's manual, and the dictionaries into that Collection, that way at least they don't take up the space on my Home page and I don't have to look at them listed there all the time.

message 8: by Lora (new)

Lora | 81 comments Thank you John!

Patricia, wonderful idea! I think I will do that very same thing. Tidy, tidy... :)

message 9: by Helen (new)

Helen I did a similar thing to Patricia, mine are in my 'information' folder. I selected the English dictionary as my main but sometimes check the US one for Americanisms in American books.

unread topics | mark unread