Axis Mundi X discussion

Sept. 11th Anniversary...link to Memorial Video

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Comments?

I did get an interesting email at work that reminded me that our college freshmen were in middle school on the day the towers fell. It's weird to think how Sept. 11th is becoming part of history rather than a recent incident.

message 2: by Xysea (new)

Xysea  (xysea) I do remember right where I was and what I was doing. It was a morning meeting, when I worked for Mental Health Services, and our supervisor came in, rolled a TV in behind her.

She showed us what was happening. I didn't see the first tower fall, but I saw the second one fall.

It still seems so surreal.

Then in March when I was in NYC, my partner and I walked down the Financial Sector to the site. It's still so heavy there, the vibe. We were quite and reverential; I think for me, it hit home- the monumentalness of what happened.

It's not that I didn't believe it was real, I just didn't understand how it applied to me...

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth My husband and I were in Chicago. We'd been to the Sears Tower the day before. We were staying in a B&B in Wicker Park. Had just finished breakfast and returned to our room when my brother phoned from California.

I thought he was kidding. He has kind of a macabre sense of humor. It took him a while to convince me to turn on the TV. When I finally did, it was just in time to see the second tower go down.

The city of Chicago immediately closed all the tourist sites, so even if we'd felt like tearing ourselves away from the TV there was nothing to do. We spent the day in our room, only venturing out for food.

The next day we went to the Art Institute. Police were all over. How was a bored policeman standing at a subway entrance going to prevent a terrorist from blowing it up?

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I remember all that news from Chicago, Ruth...everyone was afraid the Sears Tower was a target.

I was in an elementary school checking on clinical students...all of a sudden all these parents rushed into the school to check on their kids...all the teachers were watching in the lounge during breaks.

The Milwaukee news stations were so stupid. They kept showing film of the Milwaukee airport and the tallest (ahem, like not that tall) buildings in Milwaukee. What self-respecting terrorist is going to attack Milwaukee? Idiots. Sometimes the local news drives me crazy.

message 5: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
it still feels recent to me, thanks.

I will never forget watching the second plane hit the towers and realizing it was deliberate. I will never forget seeing the towers fall, knowing hundreds of firefighters were inside, and thousands of others.

This is the 7 year anniversary of having my entire world view change for ever. It's the day I lost my naivete. It's the day the American flag really began to mean something to me. Those people were my people. I had friends there that day, in the Pentagon and at the WTC. It could have been them that went down. It could have been me. This was personal.

Since then, religious fundamentalists have been on my shit list.

message 6: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments I was in my last year of sixth form and was in my philosophy class when the news broke - I don't think I'll ever forget because no-one believed it at first, until we saw it on TV. I can't believe it was 7 years ago.

message 7: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments A sad day. Older brother in S Korea, was stranded there for 3 weeks. Brother in law was at the mini pentagon in Florida and had only time for on brief call out, and then we didn't see him for months afterward. And still, we have the Truthers, some within our own govt.

message 8: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

NB... did you watch the History channel the other night when they aired a program which methodically debunked all the 9/11 conspiracy myths? It was awesome. Point by point, all the way down the line. They had interviews with the people who were the most directly involved with every aspect of it. Seriously great job they did.

But still, of course, people LOVE to wave their Truther flags. Morons.

message 9: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

With the exception being that almost no one accused the government of being behind the attack on Pearl Harbor. I haven't seen so much rabid conspiracy theory since the Grassy Knoll and the Holocaust combined!!!

My favorite one is how the Jews did it. That took all of about 5 seconds to erupt over teh internetz after the planes hit.

message 10: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments oh those evil joooooooos. They kilt Jesus don't ya know.

I missed it DakChar - just as well. The fact that we even need to debunk this crap gets my blood boiling. I do love Penn and Teller's Bullshit episode on this.

message 11: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I was restricted to base housing in Okinawa due to a typhoon, and because of that happened to be watching TV that evening. Because of the time difference, I was watching the morning news shows and saw the second plane hit and everything after that. I did not now anyone hurt or killed and have no family or friends who were directly affected. However, It still feels like being hit in the gut when I think about this attack on my beloved country. That day represents a failure of the government, the military, the intelligence services, but most of all, we, the American people, who failed to take the threat seriously after several attacks. But it was also a day of victory, for it showed how deeply we care for each other and our nation.

message 12: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Here is a YouTube video I made today in memory of those lost in the Sept 11 attacks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs-SF-...

features two songs written by Leonard Cohen, "Hallelujah" and "Anthem".