BookMooch discussion

BookMooch Opinions/Advice

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Kathy | 1 comments I haven't joined BookMooch yet but would be interested to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

message 2: by Kim (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:59PM) (new)

Kim (kimbobo) I really love bookmooch. I used to spend way to much on books, but now I just get them used in the mail. I've built up such a to-be-read list that it will last for months!

message 3: by Nancy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:59PM) (new)

Nancy | 3 comments Bookmooch is great! It's easy to use and find great books. I've given away 80+ books and received 80+ books with the only cost being to mail the books to people who request them.

message 4: by Yaffa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Yaffa | 1 comments It is a really simple system. And you can browse like in a bookstore - it's a great way to get books (and clear some space on your shelves.)

If you just want to find a home for books you can give books away on freecycle (http://www.freecycle.org)

Less easy, but more fun and a way to replenish your books - bookmooch.

It takes some time but it is so very fun to get book packages in the mail.

message 5: by Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (hugbandit7) I'm on BM and 2 other sites and they all have their pros and cons. I mailed my first international book this past weekend. Definitely will limit that because of cost factors, but kinda cool for one of my books to find a new home in India!

joining these swap sites has increased my TBR pile to nearly 100. and of course that doesn't even include a few books that are sitting on another bookshelf that I have had and not read yet. I don't even want to think about those yet!

message 6: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) being part of club like bookmooch or one of the others that i am on is kinda cool. they do add to your tbr list, but it helps getting rid of some of the books already read.

message 7: by Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (hugbandit7) I have over 100 books in my TBR stack and not getting rid of enough books, at least not yet. but this is good because then I don't have more credits to spend. I'm trying to not spend the few I have left but I'm such bookaholic!

message 8: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) I'm made SO many new friends on bookmooch and paperbackswap (BM especially) and have gotten over 300 books already in the past six months. Defnitely recommended!

message 9: by sisterimapoet (new)

sisterimapoet | 1 comments Hi Celticmaiden, welcome to Bookmooch. I think you'll like it. It's understandable that you feel frustrated at the people unwilling to send overseas, and I guess there aren't an enormous amount of books within Ireland. You might find UK people willing to send if you ask once they know you arent really that overseas!

Otherwise you might find the Angel network helpful - these are lovely people willing to act as middlemen to get the books from the people who can't send overseas to the people that want them.

Here is the link - http://bmangelnetwork.googlepages.com/

The wiki pages mentioned don't seem to work at the moment, but I'm sure people on the Bookmooch forum would help if you needed more explanation.

Good luck and happy mooching!

message 10: by Shauna (new)

Shauna (smilesandsunshine) I love Bookmooch. You should try it!

message 11: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 1 comments I love Bookmooch and I've been getting my friends to be part of it too! :D

message 12: by Carole (new)

Carole Workman | 1 comments I belong to a few sites and bookmooch is one of them. It definately helps to get rid of any unwanted books that you have already read. But it also is to tempting to add to your TBR pile. As I have relized I now have four bookshelves full of books. I love it though.

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen Bookmooch is great!I got quite a few books the other day and it felt like Christmas all over again!

message 14: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (naomishoots) | 7 comments Bookmooch is just brilliant, i agree it is like christmas, i love sending out my packages almost as much as i love getting them ;)

message 15: by Reforming (new)

Reforming (ReformingCurmudgeon) I joined with considerable enthusiasm. Almost immediately three of my books were requested by other moochers. I sent them out promptly and they were received without problems. I then selected three books for myself and sent off requests. Two arrived without problems, though one was in pretty bad shape.
I made up a wishlist of over 100 books. In the two months that I belonged, only one was ever available. I browsed the inventory, sometimes more than once a day, and found primarily old books, books that are easily obtained at the library, and books that nobody wants. (If you don't believe me, check out their inventory).
Most disturbing was the fact that the moocher from whom I requested my third book took a week to mail it and six weeks later it still had not arrived. When I checked her statistics, I found that my book was the 73rd that she had allegedly mailed that had been "lost in the mail".
It is not possible to contact anyone at Bookmooch other than technical support. I emailed technical support to ask how they could have a member who has lost 73 books in the mail. After that, my account was shut down. I was unable to claim another book, so I was out the postage for one of the three that I sent. I emailed technical support MANY times and they never responded or reopened my account.

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 3 comments Bookmooch used to be a great site several years ago. They changed up the way to "mooch" books and from then on I was never able to get any of the books on my wishlist. I now use PaperBackSwap and have had much success in trading books. The guidelines might be a little stricter but everyone benefits from it!

message 17: by Reforming (new)

Reforming (ReformingCurmudgeon) Nancy wrote: "Bookmooch used to be a great site several years ago. They changed up the way to "mooch" books and from then on I was never able to get any of the books on my wishlist. I now use PaperBackSwap and h..."

Is it worth the money?

message 18: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 3 comments The only money is the cost to mail the books. You can pay $12 a year if you want to be able to keep more books on your wishlist and avoid a .49 charge. I do that and it's well worth it to me!

message 19: by Reforming (new)

Reforming (ReformingCurmudgeon) Nancy wrote: "The only money is the cost to mail the books. You can pay $12 a year if you want to be able to keep more books on your wishlist and avoid a .49 charge. I do that and it's well worth it to me!"

Thanks!