Immortals After Dark discussion

The Characters > Lachlain, macho-alpha jerk?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 126 (126 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I was reading some of the reviews of this book and came across a very negative one. I "got" Lachlain from the very first page and even though he was pretty cruel to Emmaline in the beginning, I guess I forgave him because of what he'd been through. Or maybe I just really like very alpha men...who knows.

Did anyone else have a hard time warming up to Lachlain because of how he treated Emma?

message 2: by Keia (new)

Keia | 6 comments Not at all! I don't know. He never really wanted to hurt her. All of his rage was from years and years of torture inflicted on him by someone of her kind! (well, kinda) I couldnt blame him for being angry. To get revenge on any vampire would have been more than satisfying I think. Every time he thought of hurting her he couldn't do it. If he really were a macho-alpha male he would have actually hurt her. And then after he accepted the fact that she was his AND a vampire, then he was amazing! I also think there was something about his insane desire for her that made me overlook his other potential flaws! haha.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 36 comments He was a bit domineering in the beginning, but Emma needed to "grow a pair" at the beginning too. Once he toned it down a bit, and she found her moxie, it really picked up.

message 4: by Cassandra (last edited Sep 18, 2008 06:28AM) (new)

Cassandra This was actually my least favorite of the books specifically because of the way Lachlain treated Emma. He didn't seem alpha to me, just abusive.

message 5: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz I agree with Jennifer here. I didn't like Emma and Lachlain until nearly the end. He just bugged me--he really had to take it down a few! And her naivete was annoying.

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I didn't care for Lachlain in the beginning because of his treatment of Emma. Especially the shower scene which I remember really bothered me - it struck me as bordering on sexual abuse.

It has been awhile since I read it, but that is the impression I still have.

message 7: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 16 comments I liked Lachlain and felt he dealt with being burned daily for (how many?) years rather well. He was almost insane. He had to hack off his leg to finally get away. (ouch!) Thought the author mellowed him out fairly quickly (raving lunatic to Our Hero) in a few chapters. ;-)

He did hurt her that one time. Remember when she woke him up and he choked her--popped the blood vessel in her eye? That was the "ah-ha" moment for him, I think.

It wasn't until she started drinking his blood that she grew more into herself...I thought. His blood seemed to be the missing link to her personality--lifemates and all that.

I hear what others are saying, too. ;-)

Has anyone heard when we are going to get to Fury's story? She's the one on the ocean floor--dieing daily. Seems odd to me that all these books keep coming out and she's still drowning...

message 8: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra I think about that sometimes and it bugs me. I hope Kresley does Fury's story soon, just so I don't have that in the back of my mind!

message 9: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) It seems like most romance novels (paranormal ones mostly) use lead mens who should be taken up on molestation charges, soul mate or no.

I'm proud of KC, she doesn't hold back. Her rapists are rapists and it isn't flowered over.

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Honorary Lorean (last edited Oct 12, 2009 08:04AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 779 comments Mod
Lori wrote: "I was reading some of the reviews of this book and came across a very negative one. I "got" Lachlain from the very first page and even though he was pretty cruel to Emmaline in the beginning, I gu..."

I loved Lochlain. I thought he was down on her being a vamp, but it made sense the way the vamps had tortured him for so long, He came around and he just about washed her feet with his tongue. I don't agree with this harsh view of either characters. I love this story.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Honorary Lorean (new)

Keia wrote: "Not at all! I don't know. He never really wanted to hurt her. All of his rage was from years and years of torture inflicted on him by someone of her kind! (well, kinda) I couldnt blame him for bein..."

I loved his insane desire for her. LOL!

message 12: by Ilse (new)

Ilse Snell | 121 comments I agree with D, Lachlain was a little bit crazy, and maybe a little bit domineering, but that's his nature... he's a lykae... they do that. that's like being angry at a dog for wagging it's tail.
Also, he suffered, burned for 150 years! c'm on! by vampires no less... and Emma needed a little yank or 3 to get her to stand up for herself.

message 13: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) I loved Lachlain from the start! I didn't think that he was abusive to Emma, but if he was, I didn't really think anything of it. I mean, he was trapped in a fiery pit for hundreds of years. I think the man is entitled to a little bitterness and cruelty, especially towards vampires. I enjoyed the sparring and bantering between Emma and Lachlain, and I didn't think the shower scene really bordered on sexual abuse. He's a Lykae and their instincts are to have sex with and mark their females, and I feel that that's what he was doing even if he didn't want to admit that Emma was his mate. I did love when Lachlain started letting Emma drink his blood. It was highly erotic to me, and I enjoyed how she finally gained her spunk and he, while still being intense, was a little more mellowed after adapting to the modern age. And, even though he was crazy intense in the beginning, he stayed with Emma through it all and only let her go when her sisters took her away. I mean, he obviously loved her. He let the Valkyrie take him prisoner and then he clawed through the freaking floor just so he could get to Emma when she was on her deathbed. I guess I'm just trying to say that I understood him and so I loved him, and he continues to be adorable through the rest of the series :D

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Honorary Lorean (new)

Wow! You're making me want to reread this book, Leah!

message 15: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (facere323) | 8 comments I think I'm just the opposite of most other fans of this series. This was my favorite book of this series...although, it seems to be many others' least favorite. Not that I didn't enjoy the rest of the series. And Garreth's and Lucia's story came in a close second, followed my Bowen and Mari. I guess I'm a sucker for a posessive lykae!

message 16: by Mhollie (new)

Mhollie | 17 comments I love those Scottish lykae males. I want to name my 1st born son Lachlain. Probably too old to have kids at this point, but...you get the point.

message 17: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) I'm glad to make you so interested in it again, Danielle, LOL

Aimee, that order is my favorite, too. A Hunger Like No Other is my favorite with Pleasure of a Dark Prince in second and Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night in third. Who couldn't love those Lykae males and their sexy accents?!

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Honorary Lorean (new)

You and me both, Aimee. I have a weakness for Sexy, Scottish Werewolves. :)

message 19: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "You and me both, Aimee. I have a weakness for Sexy, Scottish Werewolves. :)"

Really, who doesn't? They're just too sexy :)

message 20: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (facere323) | 8 comments Eek! I might be needing to re-read them....for approximately the millionth time!

message 21: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) LOL. No one would blame you for needing to re-read them, Aimee :)

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Honorary Lorean (new)

I feel a rereading session coming on!

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Honorary Lorean (new)

Leah *~*Pherocious*~* wrote: "Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "You and me both, Aimee. I have a weakness for Sexy, Scottish Werewolves. :)"

Really, who doesn't? They're just too sexy :)"

True, that!

message 24: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I feel a rereading session coming on!"

I'm definitely feeling the need to re-read the whole series, LOL

message 25: by Ѽ Cher Ѽ (new)

Ѽ Cher Ѽ  | 25 comments Leah *~*Pherocious*~* wrote: "Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I feel a rereading session coming on!"

I'm definitely feeling the need to re-read the whole series, LOL"

Can I get an Amen?!!

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. | 12 comments Lachlain and Emma were one of my favorite couples in the series. He was a bit crazed at first, but I figured that was to be expected after he had been tortured for so many years. It was a miracle the guy was still alive after all that.

message 27: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) Cher:

AMEN!

message 28: by Ilse (new)

Ilse Snell | 121 comments Leah *~*Pherocious*~* wrote: "Cher:

AMEN!"

LMAO! A - men to that!! :) although, it would be the 3rd time then that i re-read the series of the ones i have available.
Dude, even Nikholai Wroth was hot! and his story was a novella! see how awesome KC is?!?! she can even make use swoon by means of a novella! other authors have officially no excuse anymore

message 29: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (facere323) | 8 comments Ilse wrote: "Leah *~*Pherocious*~* wrote: "Cher:

AMEN!"

LMAO! A - men to that!! :) although, it would be the 3rd time then that i re-read the series of the ones i have available.
Dude, even Nikholai Wrot..."

HA! Agreed! I normally hate short stories for that very reason.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 13, 2010 12:40PM) (new)

I gave Lachlan a pass because I really believe he was "insane" at the beginning and, under the circumstances, showed remarkable self-control under extreme mental pressure.

Now, if he had continued to treat her abusively once his sanity returned, then I would have not forgiven him. As it played out, I adore him and AHLNO remains my favorite in this awesome series.

message 31: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) I agree with you, LadyR. Considering everything, Lachlain was remarkably self-controlled and understandably "abusive/intense". However, like you said, if he continued to be that way throughout the entire novel, I probably would not have liked him as much as I do. That being said, Lachlain remains my favorite character and his book is one of my favorites in the series.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 309 comments I was willing to forgive him for being a bit ermm mean to begin with because of the torture thing. But yeah he is my favourite lol so I could probably forgive him anything! :)

Although if he had continued to treat Emma too badly I like to think she would have caused him bodily harm, she did hack her dad up after all!

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Honorary Lorean (new)

Ilse wrote: "Leah *~*Pherocious*~* wrote: "Cher:

AMEN!"

Dude, even Nikholai Wrot..."

Nikolai was unbelievably hot!

message 34: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Honorary Lorean (new)

I think that Lachlain came around in the end, and became a very devoted mate for Emma.

message 35: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (facere323) | 8 comments I think what allowed me to forgive him for his early treatment of Emma was that, although he mistreated her, he tempered it a bit with hints of tenderness. And toward the end I was hopelessly smitten with him. But that may be my weakness for a Scottish Lykae, speaking.

message 36: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) I found some of the jerkiness really amusing like spending lots of her money, the food thing, etc. And I also hoped she'd get him back really good for that and everything else.

message 37: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Honorary Lorean (new)

I share your weakness, Aimee. It was funny how he maxed out her Platinum card.

message 38: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (facere323) | 8 comments I thought it was even funnier at the end when Anya got the bill!

message 39: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 13 comments I actually went and reread this book after going through this thread a few days ago, and it seems Lachlain fared better on a second reading.

Somehow I don't get the Alpha jerk vibe anymore. : )

I guess he was worth a second read after all.

message 40: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (facere323) | 8 comments And a third...and in my case at least a fourth.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 309 comments Didn't she start using his cards when he had her in Scotland? I seem to remember her ordering things online.

message 42: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (facere323) | 8 comments I think that was on his dollar, though.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 309 comments That's okay then she kinda gets her own back, from what I have read nobody seems to be able to spend quite like a Valkryie! (I think i have spelt that wrong)

message 44: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (facere323) | 8 comments 200 different colors of nail polish...lol

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 309 comments lol I think to really pay him back he should allow her to experiment with the polish on him. I don't know where that thought came from, just had an image of her wrestling him down brandishing some pink polish.

But damn, I bet he would still be sexy *sighs*

message 46: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Apr 16, 2010 02:45PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 13 comments Suzanne wrote: "Didn't she start using his cards when he had her in Scotland? I seem to remember her ordering things online."

But not with the intent of payback. He wants her to buy stuff. He likes the idea of her 'nesting' or 'feathering' his place. Or whatever he called it. : )

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 309 comments I think both terms can be applied :) Yes I think he was pleased she was nesting, hadn't he pretty much realized at that point that he was glad he wanted her?

message 48: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Honorary Lorean (new)

I so need to reread this. It would probably make me even more werewolf crazy. Sigh!

message 49: by Ѽ Cher Ѽ (last edited Apr 18, 2010 12:04PM) (new)

Ѽ Cher Ѽ  | 25 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "I actually went and reread this book after going through this thread a few days ago, and it seems Lachlain fared better on a second reading.

Somehow I don't get the Alpha jerk vibe anymore. : )..."

I read all your threads, and I understand what you'all are saying about Lachlain being a jerk to Emma in the beging. But I must say, I read the book once and ya know, I didn't get that vibe. I felt I know exactly why he did some irritating things to Emma. It just appeared mean because the book just kept emphasizing how innocent she was. I just found him tantalizing from the minute clawed himself outta that jail. He knew she was his mate but just felt he couldn't accept it so whole heartedly without some pay back that the vampires caused him. But I think his payback I would take anytime...except maxing out the credit card that is! LOL. I think I will re-read this book again to get more of what you guys are saying... Later!

message 50: by Ѽ Cher Ѽ (new)

Ѽ Cher Ѽ  | 25 comments Suzanne wrote: "That's okay then she kinda gets her own back, from what I have read nobody seems to be able to spend quite like a Valkryie! (I think i have spelt that wrong)"

Nowbody can spend like a Valkyrie except a Charonte demon (Simi of Dark-Hunter Series) except that's another story... LOL!

« previous 1 3