Movies We've Just Watched discussion

The Ruins

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) SPOILER BELOW-----------------

I searched for this topic but didn't see one.

I love the book The Ruins by Scott Smith. It's one of my all-time favorite horror novels.

But this movie was awful, much more awful than I thought it would be. For some reason the young people in the book endeared themselves to me, but the young people in the movie were so annoying I really didn't care what happened to them.

And for some odd reason what happened to some of the people in the book was swapped around to happen to different characters in the movie. I know for time's sake some things have to be cut out, but good grief!

And what was up with the ending? It negated the entire ominous theme of the book, which is that no one survives the ruins and escapes back into civilization.

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli We watched this movie and thought it was awful. It actually started off fairly well and then quickly descended into stupidity. So the book was better?

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) The book was much better. Slower, more methodical about letting the horror of being imprisoned at the ruins build up tension.

message 4: by Holli (new)

Holli I should read the book.....I liked the concept of the movie but just thought the movie was dumb.

message 5: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments Add me to the list of those that thought this movie was horrible. I kept waiting for it to get better but half way through realized it wouldn't. For lack of something else to do and being too tired to get up I laid on the couch until it ended. What a waste of time!

message 6: by Holli (new)

Holli We watched Shutter this weekend and it was just as bad...not scary at all....

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) LOL, Jenn. Paralyzed by ennui. Yep, The Ruins can do that to you.

Holli, yes, try the book. I think you'll like it. The book on CD was wonderful.