-Ye Olde Story Guild- discussion

Community > Off-Topic Chatbox

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Brent (new)

Brent (brentguy) | 493 comments Mod
Want to talk about something random?

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Um. Hi! Can't really think of anything random right now.

message 3: by Brent (new)

I'm sure something will come up =P

message 4: by Brent (new)

Who likes the new Group image?

message 5: by Tate (new)

Tate | 1 comments I rather like the group image. ^.^

Yay, and I am new!! :D Yeah..

Anyway, when I apply a story, does it have to be completed, or can it be about a chapter of that story? Yaaaaay! :D

message 6: by Brent (last edited Sep 10, 2008 01:26PM) (new)

It does not have to be completed.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Good cause if mine was completed it'd be off in two days.

message 8: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie I'm with you on that, Ephona. I don't think it's safe to have all of your writing on the internet, so I only have the first twenty or so pages of my 118 page story.

message 9: by Brent (new)

I've no idea how to get things copyrighted, so don't ask me.

message 10: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie Me either.

message 11: by Brent (new)

Thanks.

message 12: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ hi emmaleigh! XD heehee

message 13: by Brent (new)

Thanks Emmaleigh ^^

message 14: by Brent (last edited Oct 01, 2008 06:47PM) (new)

If ever you need to see the latest news concerning the guild, head on over to the Ye Olde News Shoppe! It lets everyone know about current and future updates to the group and it's members!

This could be very useful to many of us, so please check back regularly.

I've recently added the update to the Authors Library.

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 191 comments Oh my gosh gosh gosh! My name is on the staff list!
My name!!! Okay, clam. Calm. I am calm. I am sane.

message 16: by Brent (new)

Everything's fine and dandy?

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 191 comments Yes. Yes it is.

message 18: by Brent (new)

Good ... good ... muahahahahaa!

message 19: by Victor (new)

Victor (damoclesword) | 15 comments Does anyone ever get tired of how so many fantasy races are cliche now?

We can't even use elves anymore because people will accuse us of being unoriginal and ripping off Dungeons and Dragons or Tolkien.

I love Lord of the Rings, but now, elves are like unusable by any other fantasy author.

But, that's just my opinion. :D

message 20: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ I know what you mean. I never write about elves for that reason; it just feels too cliché. And also because I'm not really into that kind of epic-fantasy stuff. I tend to go more for urban fantasy.

message 21: by Victor (new)

Victor (damoclesword) | 15 comments But I think elves are nice, just too overpowered. >_<

message 22: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 191 comments overpowered? You be talking about their skills in magic and physical combat (oh, boy, their archery!) and supernatural abilities (e. g. healing, prophetic visions, reading signs and their unexplained talent for understanding lower life forms such as humans)? Not to mention the way they decorate all their weapons and armor like it was the Christmas beauty pageant? And their deceivingly innocent delicately sculpted faces? Is that it?

Well, they can't fly. And they're not immortal ... never mind. I see what you mean. :)

message 23: by Brent (last edited Oct 13, 2008 07:46PM) (new)

Many things today are cliché, yes, but that barely restricts us. If you have any bit of an imagination, you can form an entire race to be something else.

For example, I could write a book in which elves were war-hungry, barbaric creatures like Christopher Paolini's Urgralgra (Urgals) in the Inheritance Trilogy.

Of course, this would be hard to do, because of generations of the stereotypical perfect beings that they have become. I personally would rather take the same approach that Paolini did with his Elves—he stayed with the stereotype, yet made it his own. This made it much easier for the reader to see and understand who these elves were. They were mysterious, graceful, wise, powerful, ancient ... and there was another quality about them that is completely alien.

If we set our minds to it, we can bend our very universe to be anything. With this state of mind, there is no end to what we could accomplish.

ßrent

message 24: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ uhhh well I thought Eragon was pretty cliché ...

message 25: by Victor (new)

Victor (damoclesword) | 15 comments I agree, sorry Brent, I know Eragon is one of your favorite books, but it was a little too cliche for me.

For example, the elves are a bastion of good and peace, they can cast magic which most humans cannot, they have extreme speed and agility compared to humans, and they can do about everything better than humans.

I do like the idea of portraying elves as war-hungry barbaric creatures though. That would be an interesting challenge...

But until I get a book published, I'm not going to be saying too much, considering Paolini published his first book at 16 so that's a remarkable feat by itself.

message 26: by Brent (new)

I understand where you're coming from Victor—completely. If anyone here decided to make the elves war-hungry, barbaric creatures, I would be immediately hooked into the book.

Hmm ... this gives me an idea for Round 3 of the contest ... muahaha!

message 27: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Actually, Paolini started WRITING his book at sixteen. By the time it was published he was at least twenty. There's a huge difference there. Plus it wasn't really such a "remarkable feat" because his parents got it published for him. :P blah.

oh no, brent. you're going to make us write about elves next? XD lol. well, that is, if i make it to the next round ...

message 28: by Victor (new)

Victor (damoclesword) | 15 comments Darn it, don't steal my story ideas..... :D

message 29: by Brent (last edited Oct 16, 2008 03:27PM) (new)

Not elves, oh no, I'll be making you write about something else.

message 30: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ okay ... haha i'm scared. lol. XD

message 31: by Victor (new)

Victor (damoclesword) | 15 comments lol, me too. :D

message 32: by Victor (new)

Victor (damoclesword) | 15 comments How do we enter the story contest?

message 33: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ uh i don't think u can cuz we're already in round two

message 34: by Brent (new)

You can only enter a story contest during round 1. Once round 2 has begun, we lock the doors, and shut off the lights—leaving the contestants to wander about in the dark.

I know, I know; it sounds like fun ... but you'll just have to wait until next time!

ßrent

message 35: by Victor (new)

Victor (damoclesword) | 15 comments Well that's great. :D. Oh wells..... XD

message 36: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 191 comments How many rounds are in each contest? just two? Or perhaps 3?

message 37: by Brent (new)

However many it takes to break it down to only two contestants. It'll usually be 2-4, yes.

message 38: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ okey dokey

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

hi!!!!!!!!

message 40: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune | 95 comments Hey guys! Brent, I'm afraid I was wondering around in the dark about the b-day contest for a bit. Now I realize that it is too late, so I'm ok... no longer wandering in the dark. well, at least not because of that anyway....

message 41: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 393 comments Can I make another contest for the new members? Because I would really like to make my own. :)

message 42: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune | 95 comments but I'm a new member, and what if I don't pass????!

message 43: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 393 comments pass what?

message 44: by Brent (new)

Seth,
I would actually rather you not create a new contest for the new members. The goal I'm trying to achieve, is to make these contests very special events. The way I see it, that means rarely having them. Having two at once doesn't make it a rarity.

I'm sorry, I really am. In the future, if you become a group moderator, you will be able to do these things. However, there cannot be more than one contest at any given time.

Again, I apologize.

ßrent

message 45: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 393 comments Its fine, I was just wondering about it :)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

"D lol.

message 47: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) That reminds me... I've got to come up with a twist!!!

I was going to use the (not so) scary story that I am writing for a non online contest, but then i realized the whole "reality of twist" category worth 25 points.

I mean, find a hungry ghost in a haunted house is a little out there...

message 48: by Brent (new)

Haha.

message 49: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) yeah... that's why I wrote something else instead. It's much more depressing and eerie.

message 50: by Victor (new)

Victor (damoclesword) | 15 comments grr, i need a contest to challenge me.... lol

« previous 1 3