Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World Tales of a Female Nomad discussion

great read

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabby (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabby This book is an inspiring tale of a women in her 40-50's who leaves her comfort zone to embark on an amazing journey that becomes her way of life. Rita Gelman learns the language, culture and cooking practices of the places she visits to really understand what it is to experience a different way of life.

Arleen Shulman I wouldn't have the nerve to try most of the recipes, much less live like she does!

message 3: by Maud (new) - added it

Maud i am not finished with this book, i am co-reading it with others because i dont want it to end.. loving this authentic book written by a "real" person with a big heart. her honesty, courage and talent are shared on every page. read it. im not going to tell any more !

message 4: by ReaderGuy (new)

ReaderGuy I've read through many of these reviews, particularly the negative ones because a friend recommended this book to me. I have a lot of books waiting to be read, so I need to be at least a little particular. I'm now about half-way through, and find it one of the most fascinating books I've ever read, and heartily recommend it!

A complaint was that "it's all about her experiences" (paraphrased). Of course! It's a fricken biographical book! As far as escaping "real life", what on earth is wrong with setting out to discover the world? She's had a fascinating life (to her, as well as open-minded readers). For those who don't have the opportunity to set out and explore other countries and cultures, this is an excellent way to see much of the world through someone else's eyes.

So what if someone is raising three children on a third of what the author is living on? Where's the relevance? It's a fact that in many countries the cost of living is much lower than in the U.S. I only hope that that mother is feeding her children more than slugs and dandelion leaves, LOL! Where I live in the U.S. $15,000 is WAY below the poverty level. I have a friend who has lived in Mexico (born in the U.S.), and she's considering moving back partly for economic reasons.

Someone complained that she’s not a nomad because of her income from books she’s written. Really? She’s using HER money, which SHE earned, which REDUCES her dependency on others as well as INCREASING her ability to help others. Why does she not have the right to do that? How many books have you written? Do you have the right to do with your own money whatever you want?

“Everyone she mentions in her book is more interesting than she is”. Isn’t this book ABOUT the people she met?

I have lived abroad for a number of years, and have had quite a few similar experiences. I can corroborate that in other countries, it isn't that hard to find someone who will let you live with them for a short time, show you around, and connect you with other resources.

I suspect that many who have a problem with this book do so because they are of the opinion that life needs to follow a particular pattern, and if you break the mold you're an odd duck. I can tell you from experience that if you dare to venture past these abominable artificial walls you can truly live and grow, and enjoy life much more fully.

Susan  I loved this book! Will definately read it again.