Axis Mundi X discussion

Deliver Us From Evil

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
I just finished watching Amy Berg's documentary on the epidemic of pedophiles which has been uncovered inside the Catholic Church in the last decade: 'Deliver Us From Evil'. I don't generally watch things like this, being a survivor of child sexual abuse myself. I usually find it too upsetting. But I was drawn into it and felt I had to watch it nonetheless.

In short, it's so much worse than I ever understood from the media coverage that there are simply no words for how awful the situation is and how badly the church continues to handle it. Or, more accurately, not handle it. It is probable that there are close to one million victims living today from this horror. It is estimated that there are thousands of pedophiles in the US Catholic churches alone, and probably 10,000 world wide. The one priest who was convicted served only 14 years in prison, and has since been released and deported to Ireland, where he is in no way monitored. He alone perpetrated sexual abuse and rape upon hundreds of children, some of whom were less than 2 years old, both boys and girls.

If I had access to enough financial resources, I would hire my own army of mercenaries, and spend the rest of my life seeing to it that one by one, these pedophiles would meet justice.

Sometimes, the world that we live in seems to me so indescribably horrific that I think perhaps it would be better if humans were the next species to go extinct.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
I hate pedophiles. I am no fan of children, but that is mainly because by the time I know them they are already fucked up... So I do tend to be pretty frosty when dealing with child abusers. It's something constructive to do with my universal hate.

message 3: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Sherri, it's pretty common for pedophiles to be survivors of childhood sexual abuse themselves. The one case which was looked into extensively in this documentary was no exception. I know that my own abuser had been "messed with" as well. On the one hand I have compassion for them because of this, then when I remember that I never passed on my abuse, I decide that they still don't deserve my compassion and that's when I decide there is no punishment harsh enough for these smears on the underwear of humanity.

message 4: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Nick, I think it is definitely a good direction to focus your universal hatred. I support you in that choice.

message 5: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments ....also, a position of authority with access to kids in particular. We see a lot of that in pedophiles, whether it be sports, clubs etc. What BunnWat says goes a long way toward explainging why the Catholic Cburch...something I've never been able to figure out to any degree.

message 6: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

The documentary mentioned something interesting. The Catholic Church started requiring celibacy from priests around 400 AD. That's around the same time that apparently reports of pedophila began to surface. I'm not sure what the cause and effect would be in that scenario... but it's an interesting correlation of information anyway.

message 7: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

dude, fer serious. Head injured bastard. If I had a time machine...

message 8: by Not Bill (last edited Sep 09, 2008 10:57PM) (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments Hey folks, I'd be very disappointed to see this thread head off in a particulare direction. After all, it's not as if the Catholic Church has a monopoly on pedophelia. It's not as if they even endorse it...as say, as other cultures do. Just sayin'.

message 9: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

this thread is specifically about pedophila inside the catholic church. if you don't like the topic, stay out of the thread. because we are definitely criticizing the catholic church in here, and therefore are likely to mention a few things about the christian religion that are fucked up. like misogyny, and blind obedience, and stifling patriarchy, and attitudes about sex that are repressive. if you don't like it, you may leave.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
not to make a joke in a serious conversation but... Blind obedience and sex... I see nothing wrong with that ;)

Can you fit two knuckles up there?

message 11: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

oy.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Sometimes I think it's easier to ditch issues by saying that "well, others do it too!" It's like when people don't want to talk about race they'll talk about class or whatever because it's easier to talk about those issues than race. The fact that the Catholic church doesn't have a monopoly on pedophilia doesn't minimize the institution's role.

message 13: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

thank you RA. in fact, the hierarchy of the church, and the propensity for corruption and blind obedience is what has fostered it. basically if a priest is accused in one community, they move him to another community. that way he has maximum access to the most kids for the longest period of time. even if that is not their intent, it is the de facto result.

Pedophilia is institutionalized within the Catholic Church.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony There are a lot of great christians in the world, and I believe the Catholic church has done a lot of good.

None of that means the issue of abuse shouldn't be addressed head-on. I agree...out in the light of day.

message 15: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

yeah, well, the person who molested me has a great sense of humor. Doesn't change the fact that he is a monster. It just makes him a more effective one.

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori Sherri said: It's all Paul's fault. I knew that guy was a trouble maker as soon as I got past the Gospels. On the road to Damascus, indeed.

I first read the New Testament in college and found the Gospels beautiful. But when I got to Paul, my impression was that he was a raving lunatic, filled with hate especially towards women. And then I learned that the Catholic Church was based on him. Sex is evil!

It makes no sense to me that priests must be celibate. Aside from sexuality, how can one understand the complex relationship of marriage and families, and then give advice in confession, devoid of personal experience?

I wonder if there are statistics the compare the pedophilia rate within the Catholic Church and the other denominations of Christianity.

message 17: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

the reason the Catholic Church invented celibacy for their priests, was that before that the priests were leaving their estate to their eldest son. The church wanted to amass wealth, so they ordered all priests to be celibate starting in around 400AD. That way all the officials inside the church would have no choice other than leaving their estate to the church.

At the root of the church is nothing other than a lust for power and wealth. And look what it has wrought. Makes me sick to my stomach.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Wait...sex isn't evil? Why didn't you tell me before?

turns off computer, looks for a woman

message 19: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments Sex is evil....well, really good sex anyway.

message 20: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

therein lies your problem, NB. or... one of them at least.

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori Sheesh.

I can do anything better than you can.
No you can't.
Yes I can, yes I can, yes I can!

message 22: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
I've heard that a lot of those activities, pole sitting, nail bed sleeping, etc., are still going on in India. But sometimes it's to get into the Guinness Book, not to prove their faith.

sigh

message 23: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
Hahahahaha!!!! Turn about is fair play...

message 24: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

If my only recourse to escape sleeping with my ex husband was to become celibate and devote my life to God, I totally would have opted for that. Thank goddess I had other options, but I totally understand thinking that is the better option.