Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > I just want to say thank you...

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments Hi all,

I'm fairly new to goodreads and just recently went from lurking to trying to get involved in this group, and I just want to say THANK YOU.
As someone who has loved to read, I have always wanted to join a book club, but never had the type of friends that were interested in reading, let alone discussing books with me.
And as I just posted my first response to this month's book club questions I felt a warm fuzzy- christmas eve excitement rush through me knowing that I am finally a part of a group of smart, witty women that share the same obsession with books and hunger for talking about them.
So again, thank you. I might have friends, but I'm somewhere I finally feel like I belong.

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli You are very very welcome Anastasia!!! I'm glad you decided to stop lurking and join in....its much more fun that way :) I'm excited to be a part of this group of women we have in here. The level of friendship everyone has showed me since I joined just a short 6 months ago is astounding to me and I'm grateful for it every day.

message 3: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Oh Anastasia I am so glad you found us and joined in the conversations.

I feel the same way as you. I love my friends but none of them love books the same way I do. I really consider this group of women a rare and special blessing.

There is a quote by CS Lewis (who I love) that says,

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'"

That is exactly the way I feel about this group and the women in it.

message 4: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments LOVE that quote, Tera! And you know, that IS exactly how I feel! I know I've made a connection with someone when I really do say, "really? me too!"
It's good to have "me too" moments, which I'm finding more of in this group.

message 5: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Welcome to our family!

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'"

What a great quote, Tera - and a perfect way to describe this! I feel at home, here, too (kind of like I've always felt walking into almost any library since elem. school - but better!)

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments I just recently joined this group too and it is by far my favorite! I am like you, my best friend doesn't like to read as much as I do... she would rather stay on myspace all day every day... and cant understand how I can read as many books as I do... I work M-F, she works 3 12hr shifts.......... I laughed at her and told her, ummmm its because I read books instead of myspace!

Don't get me wrong, I have a myspace, but.... I would much rather get lost in a book than wandering around on there.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Anastasia and Kat!

I am fairly new myself and I find myself as I read wondering what the Chics would think about books. This a an amazing group!

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli LOL....I do the same thing Katie. Now when I read books I find myself asking questions about it to myself and wanting to post on here "Everyone read this book so I can talk about it with you!!" I'm really glad we all get along so well which makes it such an open environment for us to share. Welcome all of you "new" people!

message 10: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 99 comments Well said Anastasia~my thoughts exactly but I couldn't have said it nearly as great as you did!

I'm also new and have just started to step out of my lurking phase. This is a great group of smart, funny, diverse and witty Chicks.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments Awwwww! I was just going to make a thread saying like the same thing! Thanks to everyone for creating such a great and open and loving place!

message 12: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments Thanks everyone for understanding.... And welcome Kat and Lynlee.
Kat, I know how you feel about myspace vs reading. I have myspace too but I rather spend hours reading something with a PLOT than just clicking around and looking at a bunch of pages and pictures that don't change.
I know what you mean, Katie... I love discussing books and always wish I had someone to talk about them with... If you ever have a book you want to talk about, just let me know. If I havent read it, I can guarantee you that I can swallow it in a few days and be ready to talk about it with you!!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Anastasia, you just made me all teary-eyed when I read "but I'm somewhere I finally feel like I belong" ~ that's how I feel here too! It's wonderful and while I really do wish I had this same feeling of belonging here in my life around home, I'm so glad I've got it here!

It's something I've been sort of upset over lately actually, not feeling like I belong no matter where I go or who I'm with~ 2 of my best friends here in NJ work a lot (though 1 has kind of backed away since I got married though she denies it) and my other best friend here in NJ is an extremely busy Mom, Wife and furthering her education ~My other best friend lives in Chicago now (also works, goes to grad school & is all around busy!), and I can't work (disabled for health reasons), so... here I am!

Like we've discussed in Holli's thread about physically making new friends when we're older, it's just so damn hard!

message 14: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments To quote a quote Tera mentioned in an earlier post, me too! "I thought I was the only one."
I know exactly how you feel as far as friends slipping away and not feeling like you belong. I just moved back home after graduating in another state and now that I'm home, all my friends who lived here are now in different places either working or going to school. So now I'm left with no friends around, which starts to take a toll on you after a while.
I think of it this way, though: Even though we live in different places around the country (and globe), the Chics on Lit can be considered closer friends than any real friends can, because we all share a strong passion for the same things (reading)and understand where other chics are coming from when they mention things like belonging. :)

message 15: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) this thread gives me the warm and fuzzies!! and i agree with you all and am very thankful to be a part of this awesome group of women!! You are all amazing!