Books I Want To Talk About discussion

The Secret Life of Bees
This topic is about The Secret Life of Bees
Archives > General Discussion - Secret Life of Bees

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Meghan | 423 comments Mod
I really enjoyed this book. I actually was fairly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. There was just a hominess to it that I enjoyed, despite some of the subject matter.

I'm looking forward to the movie.

Robbie Bashore | 141 comments Mod
I read this book in the not-super-distant-past, and I recall really liking it, but I barely recognize the description of the book on goodreads! Oh, dear.

I just read it. You're right. It felt like I was reading in circles.

But it did bring up to mind about the Black Madonna. I thought it was really interesting to learn more about that. I've heard about it occasionally through art history studies, but didn't know much about them.

Sera | 195 comments I loved this book so much. I think that the movie if done right is going to be amazing.

Robin | 1 comments It was alot like a girl version of Huck Finn at the beginning and I thought it was almost a rip-off but then it got better and better and more unique as it went on. I loved the last half the best.

Oh, I like that analogy. It is kind of like HF, isn't it (well, with bees instead of the Mississippi).

I generally like Dakota Fanning, so we'll see how it plays. I think casting sounds pretty decent.

Allison (theallisonnelson) I just finished this book this morning. It was so sweet! And I like books that have some historical fiction, I thought the setting was just perfect. I'm excited for the movie - it looks like the casting should be pretty good. I don't know who is playing who, but I think Jennifer Hudson would be a great Rosaleen.

Who was your favorite character? I think mine had to be August. She's a wonderful woman!

Okay, I tried posting this yesterday but goodreads kept not posting it. sigh.

Anyway, good call on Rosaleen, Allison! She does play her. Queen Latifah plays August (which I think is a good choice, although I pictured her older). Alicia Keyes plays June. And Paul Betteny places the dad. I rather like the casting and look forward to the movie. I hope they don't cheese it out though.

Allison (theallisonnelson) Ohhh interesting about the characters! I think Queen Latifah is great for that part - I pictured her older as well, but definitely beautiful and having a lot of passion, which Queen Latifah exudes. Does anyone know who plays May? Paul Bettany is interesting - I pictured a shorter, heavier, angrier man... but him and Abigail Breslin have similar coloring so I can see how it works.

Ashley (bookworm84) (bookworm84) I'm reading this now and I'm loving to so far!

I saw the movie last night and enjoyed it. A bit of a tear-jerker at times. It must be pretty faithful to the book, as I had a sense of deja vu most of the time (you may remember earlier in the thread I confessed to not remembering much of the book.)

Oh that's good news Robbie! Thanks! I thought the book was a bit of a tear-jerker at times, so that sounds about right.

I can't remember who plays May, but she's been in a couple of movies lately. I think she used to do Broadway?

I don't remember, either. She looked familiar, but I kept thinking she reminded me of a patient from my former job--slight developmental delay and very sweet. She did a great job in the film!

You ladies got me curious!

Sofie Okonedo is May. She was nominated for an Oscar in Hotel Rowanda and I know her from Aeon Flux. She's seemed to have done a lot of tv work too.

Allison (theallisonnelson) My parents saw it this past weekend and my dad hadn't read the book, but he cried and said it was so sweet. My mom read the book a while ago, and she said the movie was amazing and very true to the book. I have yet to see it, but it sounds like it's a rare occurrence when the book and the movie are both good :)

message 17: by Paula (new)

Paula I agree Charly, great cast but I missed the stuff with the sisters also but overall a good adaptation.

Thanks for the reviews. I have this movie but haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet. Looking forward to it.