Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
This topic is about The Darkest Night
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Showalter, Gena - The Darkest Night - June 2011 BOM: Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sashana (last edited May 28, 2011 03:20PM) (new)

Sashana This topic is now open for discussion of The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter. Be prepared for spoilers.
The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter

Description on Goodreads:
His powers -- Inhuman
His passion -- Beyond immortal . . .

All her life, Ashlyn Darrow has been tormented by voices from the past. To end the nightmare, she has come to Budapest seeking help from men rumored to have supernatural abilities, not knowing she'll be swept into the arms of Maddox, their most dangerous member -- a man trapped in a hell of his own.

Neither can resist the instant hunger than calms their torments . . . and ignites an irresistible passion. But every heated touch and burning kiss will edge them closer to destruction -- and a soul-shattering test of love . . .

Though they carry an eternal curse, the Lords of the Underworld are irresistibly seductive -- and unimaginably powerful . . . Don’t miss this incredible new paranormal series from Gena Showalter!

Format:Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published: May 1st 2008 by HQN Books

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I thought I was tired of paranormal but I really wanted to participate in more BOM. I just finished it, and I really liked it!

I loved how different and new the premise was. The men were pretty sexy and Ashlyn was a decent heroine. There was an equal amount of sexual tension and sex scenes, which were good. Although the story was just the slightest bit dark due to the violent undertones, there was some humor as well.

There was a scene where I was crying and then had to laugh in the middle of it because of Maddox's naive belief that Tylenol was sort of a cure-all. :D

Given how bored I was visiting the same mold of characters in the romance novels, I was pleasantly surprised not to feel too twitchy and irritated reading this. Perhaps this was partially due to the fact that although Maddox is somewhat of an alpha hero, unlike the angst of other heroes, here, I really felt that he had a real reason to feel tortured and wary of relationships. As for Ashlyn, her situation was believable as well given her background story.

While the plot seemed a bit familiar, the premise of the story was different enough to compensate. How everything was resolved in the end was almost too convenient and felt almost contrived but I was able to brush that aside.

I'm definitely planning on reading the rest of this series.

Cindy | 5 comments I love this series i cant get enough of the Lords of the Underworld. I loved Maddox and Ashlyn the whole curse was wow. The story of immortals created by the gods along with the mytical storyline got me hooked, not only do the Lords sound yummy but the stories took my breath away. :)

Marla Schwartz (MarlaLynnS) I really wish i could say how much I loved this book and can't wait to read the next. The storyline and the plot were excellant! However, and I am not a prude by any means, but the graphic and detailed sexual encounters really ruined it for me. I think that a book with as of a plot as this one, didn't need to "amp it up" with erotica.

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Marla, Whatever you do don't read any of Kresley Cole's or J.R. Ward's books then. I really did love the story and was blown away by it until the end when they introduced a very annoying character (can't remember the name because I read it 2 years or so ago). It bumped my rating down significantly. I've read the whole series thus far and got over my initial annoyance of that female character. I plan to reread this one this week and will have more specific comments.

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Lisarenee, was it the "goddess" creature that you were thinking about?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Darkest Night (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gena Showalter (other topics)