Women's Fiction authors discussion

Book Promotion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela | 12 comments I am a soon-to-be-published first-time novelist who is searching for effective ways to promote my real estate chick lit novel, LEGS, before, during, and after it's released.

Does anyone have any marketing tips to share? Do postcards and book marks work? Should I stick with press kits and media releases? Any particular item a "must have" for a website?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Angela

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 4 comments Hi Angela,
If your experience is anything like mine, you'll soon discover that writing the book--even getting it published--is the easier part of going from writer to author. Promoting/Selling takes a lot of time and unless you're really good at putting yourself out there, going from your office to the spotlight can be shocking.

Meanwhile, there are many good articles on the web about book promotion. Do a search and you'll find them. Start with oncewritten.com

To get the word out there, you need many review copies of your book and you should send them along with a well-written press release. Go to your local media first and also check out reviewers like Midwest Book Review, Armchair Reviews and Reader Views. Write to Amazon.com reviewers to see if they'll read/write a review. Amazon is probably the top online book store.

Be sure to have your website set up first and a clear link delivering browsers where to buy the book.

Postcards, bookmarks are okay if you have an established audience and mailing list . . . but my personal opinion is they're a waste of paper in this green-aware, cyberspace-oriented world. T-shirts are a fun idea and they serve as useful, free advertising. I, for one, like the idea of the word LEGS across my chest.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Cheers,
Michele
www.michelecozzens.com

message 3: by D. Darlene (new)

D. Darlene Sonntag | 3 comments Hi Angela,

Marketing is much harder than I ever thought it would be. I've been lucky between friends and family to have a good basis for word-of-mouth advertising, but trying to get my local t.v. and radio stations to do a spotlight has been nearly impossible.

My publisher gave me a bunch of business cards, push cards, and bookmarks and they have been extremely useful. Every where I go I manage to pass some out to strangers. I even gave one to a guy that sat next to me on the plane for his wife. It takes time, but if you have something like this for people to hold onto the word will eventually spread. I also use them at book signings to give to people who show some interest but, for whatever reason, are not ready to purchase it right then.

Good luck with everything!

God Bless!

Doris
"D. Darlene Sonntag"
DASTARDLY DECEPTIONS

message 4: by مرجان (last edited Sep 21, 2008 06:46AM) (new)

مرجان محمدی (marjanmohammadi) Hi
I am a translator .I wanted to ask how you contract a publisher in your country?I mean Do you pay for publishing your books or the publisher does.

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (discipleshirley) | 7 comments Make sure you get the book buyers return program if you don't your mega stores won't buy.

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela | 12 comments How are your sales going on the book buyers return program?

Is it worth the extra $699 the publisher charges?

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Agiewich | 2 comments Angela,
If you don't have a blog yet, that is an easy and FREE way to get your name out there! If you have an established web site already, the blog will draw more traffic to it...it will also provide a way for you to interact easily with your readers.

Rebecca
www.RebeccaAgiewich.com

message 8: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (discipleshirley) | 7 comments angela, I messed up and did not get the book buyers program at first and now I am having a hard time coming up with the cash, I am disabled and had saved a while for the initial fee...I am lucky for a few mom and pops here and about until I can save up that kind of money. If you can get it at first to for it! Shirley

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina (wrtrforkner) Hi Angela,
Blogs and websites help. So do wonderful groups like Goodreads. Word of mouth is said to be the only real thing that sells books, so anything that helps you get the word out and get people to talking will help.

Tina Ruby Among Us: A Novel by Tina Ann Forkner

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela | 12 comments Thanks for your insight and experience, Tina. I will keep you posted on my journey and will let all the wonderful members on Goodreads know when my book is released.

message 11: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisechidley) | 5 comments Hi Tina, how do you get someone to come to your blog if they've never heard of you?
Elise Your Roots Are Showing

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela | 12 comments Thanks, Rebecca.

I checked out your site and your book. I know why you're such an advocate of blogging!

I appreciate the advice.

How often do you have to blog?

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela | 12 comments Thanks for the advice, Shirley.

Good luck with your writer's journey.

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina (wrtrforkner) Hi Elise,
If you want your blog to be used as a tool to sell your books, you need to write great posts about something people will be interested in. If you write a post about motherhood, for example, someone might google that topic and come across your blog. Maybe they will buy a book. ?

Personally, I have been so busy editing my next book that I haven't done a good job on blogging great articles. Time is small for me, but I still like the blog.

My blog ends up being found by people I meet on sites like Goodreads where people actually interact. It is still a good tool when used in this way because people are generally seeking the blog for information about the book or author.
Tina Ruby Among Us: A Novel by Tina Ann Forkner

message 15: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisechidley) | 5 comments Hi Tina
Thanks for the advice. To come up on google, do you need to doctor your blog in some way eg but in search links etc?
PS I'm also consumed with editing my next book...

message 16: by Tina (new)

Tina (wrtrforkner) I don't know the exact steps, but if you go to Google.com and look around in the tabs (maybe Business Solutions or About Google?), there is a way to add your site to search engines. Even if you don't do this, Google's "crawler" will eventually pick up your site and add it to the search engine.

Good luck editing your book. It's a job isn't it? Ruby Among Us: A Novel by Tina Ann Forkner

message 17: by Denise (new)

Denise (deniseg53) | 1 comments I would agree with others that it's important to make your presence known. Blogging is a good way to get noticed. You should not only post the blog entries at your web site but also at MySpace and Red Room.

message 18: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) | 8 comments Angela have you thought of trying Virtual Book Tour? I plan to try it next time I have a release. I was going to do it this time around but I decided to wait. If you get the right person to construct it for you, a VBT is much better than a real book tour. Check it out if you haven't already. You can check out the two most sucessful women who have done VBT's for authors, Nikki Leigh (she does a lot to promote authors) and Pump Up Your Book Promotion found Dorothy (I keep forgetting her last name! LOL) Just do a search and you'll find it. Be prepared though, you will have to put in all you can with these just like it's a real tour. It's worth it from what I hear and fun. Best Wishes!

message 19: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Nov 17, 2008 11:06PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) | 8 comments I am a Redroom author and I don't like it. I don't like the atmosphere for some reason. It's a group for published authors but it's too stuffy for me. It's a nice looking site but all it is reading other authors blogs. I really don't see this as great promotion because even though authors are readers too, we know most of them are on there to promote like us. I like sites where I can connect with everyday readers. Also, I don't know what the heck to do on Redroom. I find just adding other authors' pages unecessary. And I can start a blog anywhere if I wanted to so that's nothing new. I guess you can pick up tips, but once again you can do that on other sites. Redroom makes me feel like I'm being watched by the CIA, LOL. It's just not comfortable and has a stuck-up, unwelcoming feel to it. Nope, don't care for it much, LOL. Also, I've been on it for a month and I haven't seen much evidence that readers actually visit or know about this site. Mostly all there is are writers on there stroking egos, LOL.

Angela try the Ning writing social networks, those are good and you get plenty of interaction.