Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn discussion

Best post-lovecraft novel set in the mythos?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:10AM) (new)

Ryan | 5 comments Mod
Looking for recommendations.

message 2: by Addie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:10AM) (new)

Addie Cole | 3 comments Mod
you should peruse "move under ground" by nick mamatas if you arent familiar. I wouldnt say it is the BEST but it is quite enjoyable even so.

message 3: by Tony (new)

Tony (RadioFreeRlyeh) | 2 comments "A Colder War" , a short story by Charles Stross. Its in his collection TOAST, but I think he has also made it available on line. Also Stross' novels THE ATROCITY ARCHIVE and JENNIFER MORGUE.

message 4: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1 comments Well, "Resume with Monsters" and Lumley have both been mentioned, which I completely agree with. The only other post-Lovecraft mythos story that comes to mind is "The Conqueror Worms" by Brian Keene. Not written in the Lovecraft style at all and not completely mythos-related, it is still very good.
Can't really think of many others for some reason, not without checking my actuall bookshelf at home.
If you haven't checked out Robert E. Howard's mythos short stories, I recommend them.

message 5: by Donald (new)

Donald (donroc) | 6 comments My horror novel, A GATHERING OF VULTURES, DarkHart, 2007, set mostly in Florianópolis, Brazil has final chapters that include the mythos.
You can learn more about it at my web site www.donaldmichaelplatt.com.

Saw a great piece of bathroom graffiti: Cthulhu for President 2008.

message 6: by Terry (last edited Jul 30, 2008 11:02AM) (new)

Terry (tbosky) | 3 comments Monstrocity by Jeffrey Thomas

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (StephenDSullivan) | 2 comments I thought The Great White space was an interesting Lovecraft/Verne pastiche -- though I'm not sure it qualifies as mythos. I don't think it's currently in print.

message 8: by Ray (new)

Ray | 11 comments 'The Barrens' by F. Paul Wilson (whom some of you may remember as author of 'The Keep'). It's a modern mythos tale, set in the New Jersey Pine Barrens, with several small towns and famous local spots appearing. It's the first story in the 'Cthulhu 2000' trade paperback.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann | 6 comments This isn't really a nominee for "best," since I have only read one story in the first volume so far. But I think it is pretty nutty and merits our attention. I can tell you the one I did read caused me a vomit-hiccup.

Also, this press publishes Lovecraft comics & other awesome things.

http://www.kurodahan.com/mt/e/catalog...

message 10: by VanHalen (new)

VanHalen | 1 comments Re: The Barrens & Cthulhu 2000.

I will second that recomendation. There are some excellent stories within that collection, both in genre & out of genre.

I was disappointed in 'His Mouth Tastes of Wormwood' from Poppy Z. Brite within the collection, I felt it was too much a re-hashing of 'The Hound' from someone who likes to show of their vocabulary.

However, I loved both '21 Views of Mt. Fujiwara' by Roger Zelazny & 'On The Slab' by Harlen Ellison. Both are only tangentally on topic here, but are excellent reads.

message 11: by Tiwaztyrsfist (new)

Tiwaztyrsfist | 2 comments Okay, I gotta get the Japanese horror author Mythos collections... Those go on the to acquire list right now.

Heh, I wonder if Rumiko Takahashi has done anything mythos related?

message 12: by Ryan (last edited Aug 29, 2009 11:14AM) (new)

Ryan (newwildlife) Currently Reading Move Underground by Nick Mamatas. I beleive its under a creative commons liscense and distributed for free from moveunderground.org

Its entertaining so far, merely halfway through it myself. But cant pass up a free ebook right?

PDF Download Link: http://moveunderground.org/downloads/...

message 13: by Minos (new)

Minos (figolfin) | 1 comments I'd recommend the Titus Crow trilogy by Brian Lumley. It was very interesting with a good plot.

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 3 comments I would say T E D Klein's Ceremonies. An absolutely terrifying and disgusting book!

message 15: by Henrik (new)

Henrik | 11 comments Leslie, why Klein's CEREMONIES? I agree that it is one of the best horror novels ever published, but a few, minor hints aside I fail to see the Mythos connection?:-/

message 16: by Brett (last edited Oct 11, 2009 07:36PM) (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 1 comments I know, I'm not Leslie -grin-, but here is a snippet from a review that may help.

"One cannot help but detect a little bit of Lovecraft in Klein (and not just because one of the characters is called the Old One), although both men's style differs considerably. The power that stands to be unleashed by the completion of "the ceremonies" described here is gargantuan, an awesome, world-destroying creature called up from the depths of the earth, a creature too ancient to even be labeled evil."

The book doesn't have a direction connection with the Cthulhu Mythos, but the atmosphere, style and what's left unsaid can't help but make you think of it.
That's my viewpoint anyway.

message 17: by Henrik (new)

Henrik | 11 comments Thanks for that clear reply, Brett-not-Leslie;-)

Okay, I can understand that very much. I think my confusion comes from personally making a distinction between something being Lovecraftian and something being Cthulhu Mythos.

But thanks. It made a lot of sense to me:-)

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 3 comments My apologies, it has been quite some time since I checked this, but it's good to know that complete strangers have got my back! Indeed, the atmosphere of the book, with much emphasis on the fecundity of life, ready to burst and decay, was in contrast to Lovecraft's "blasted heaths" and sparse ancestral lodgings, but the overall richness of description, the location, the scenario, and yes, the horror of the infinite, impenetrable by our feeble human intellects. Also phrases like "the gibbous moon" and the journal-like entries, the fact that the narrator was reading "Supernatural Horror in Literature" and researching horror. The "Dhol" that the Old One had in its command, the horrific transformation and consummation of evil in the "end" that is really just the beginning of some unthinkable later chapter. It is Lovecraftian, but there are enough nods to the author, as well as use of his terms and creatures for me to consider that this event occurred in the Cthulhu Mythos at some point. Again, reading of fiction is highly subjective due to the filters through which we perceive things. This could also be read with a "Machen filter" or a "Manly Wade Wellman filter", and different arguments could be made for each case. Every brain is different.