Military Readers & Writers discussion

1776 by David McCullough

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:10AM) (new)

Jeff Brailey | 2 comments Mod
McCullough's account of the Revolutionary War's toughest year is an eye-opener. I learned more about George Washington reading this book that I did in all my years in school. He is not the icon I always pictured him to be. He was a man who had doubts and fears but didn't let his men see them. He was not a great military tactician but he was capable of making soldiers follow him.

1776 tells a lot about how we almost lost the war to the superior British and Hessian forces and puts that first war the USA fought into perspective.

Welcome to the group Johnny!

message 2: by Tom (last edited Dec 27, 2007 07:22PM) (new)

Tom (happiours) | 1 comments You might also like "John Adams" by David McCullough as this covers the same time period and you also get insight into Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, etc. It is the only book that I rated a 5 star so far.

Jeff Shaara's two hisorical fiction novels on the Revolutionary War are also very good. I just finished them. Rise to "Rebellion" and "Glorius Cause". Glorious Cause covers the same ground as 1776, so maybe you might not want to read it right away.

Tom

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (mister_sachmo) | 1 comments HBO is airing a miniseries about John Adams that looks excellent. Is anyone else going to watch?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've heard nothing but good things about both of those books, and also the HBO series.

message 5: by Hartley (new)

Hartley | 5 comments I thought one very good catch in 1776 was everything that was discussed only if it happened in that year. The book had a little back history but the reader spent
that year with the armies.

message 6: by Hartley (new)

Hartley | 5 comments I once found a private printing of the day long battle of Lexington and Concord. It was written by a resident of the Lexington area. It explained how the British used boat to ferry over to the north part of the Boston area and walked west. When the call for help reached Boston. All the boat were on the north shore so the reinforcements and retreating army had a fought back to western Boston area.