Nobody Reads In L.A. discussion

Be.

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (brandonbrendel) | 9 comments Yeah, let's get this group hibity-hoppin'.

message 2: by Brookie (new)

Brookie | 1 comments not on. :(

message 3: by Zac (new)

Zac (toomanyorgans) | 3 comments yes, i was excited about this group. joined, was stuck at work during what appears to have been the only physical event this year and then.... nada....?

message 4: by John (new)

John B. | 1 comments It's on...

I am really happy to have found people in WLA that do actually read... I just joined you all and looking forward to the par-tay!

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (beccafrank) i'm so excited to see signs of life here - i don't know of any active reading groups that meet regularly, but i'd love to hear about one if you find it! (or if you decide to start one . . .)

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin (ledahlianoir) | 13 comments Mod
Greetings ladies and gents,
Sorry for the delay. One member of the team moved to Portland and we had to retire for awhile. However, we have a new helper & we will start hosting events again in 6-8 weeks, I will keep you all posted. I am very excited about a few things we have in the works! Our new Headquarters will be Counterpoint & Harmony bookstore and gallery in Hollywood. Yes, booze will still be included! In the meantime: what's everyone reading? And more importantly, is it good enough to share with our group?

message 7: by Brandon (last edited Sep 12, 2008 12:29AM) (new)

Brandon (brandonbrendel) | 9 comments I am currently reading A Feast of Snakes by Harry Crews and Hot Water Music by Charles Bukowski. There is plenty of booze consumption in both, so the group should like them. There's some messed up twisted stuff going on in these...me like.

message 8: by Chanell (new)

Chanell (chanellgore) Hi, I'm new to this group (as of 2 minutes ago) and I noticed that "Fight Club" is on the group bookshelf. Well, Chuck Palahniuk has written another novel, "Choke," that is being released as a movie next month. The book is supposedly pretty good and may be a good suggestion for those out there looking for a good read.

That's my two cents...Happy Friday!

message 9: by Brandon (last edited Sep 12, 2008 04:21PM) (new)

Brandon (brandonbrendel) | 9 comments Choke was great and I can't wait to see the movie. It's actually coming out at the end of this month. Unfortunately, I think it's showing way down in Huntington Beach. But I guess it's worth the trek.

message 10: by Zac (new)

Zac (toomanyorgans) | 3 comments So happy this is back to life! And Counterpoint is one block from my house :-)

Any other Steve Erickson fans out there? Discovered him this year, and he's become one of my favorite authors... A really great "LA" author too... I think any one of his books would be a great one for this group.

message 11: by Chanell (new)

Chanell (chanellgore) I've read Flowers for Algernon and it's a very good book. The movie isn't half bad either. I would recommend both; book first, of course.

message 12: by Leila (new)

Leila (leilatre) | 1 comments I read Choke for the 1001 Books group here (they have monthly book selections that are discussed on goodreads, but no in-person meetings). I am game for a book club that meets up! I was not blown away by Choke. None of the characters felt particularly engaging to me. Just finished Book of Illusions, which was just okay.

So, uh, no book suggestions right now, but I'm happy to read along with whatever one is selected first...

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (beccafrank) Choke was a great book - and if you like that one, you should definitely read Survivor, another of Chuck's books.

message 14: by CLAW (new)

CLAW | 3 comments So are we gonna decide on a book to read and a date to meet up or what?!

message 15: by Zac (new)

Zac (toomanyorgans) | 3 comments yeah! a little less conversation, a little more action. and by that i mean... more conversation!

message 16: by Brandon (last edited Sep 17, 2008 05:41PM) (new)

Brandon (brandonbrendel) | 9 comments Umm, Jailbird by Vonnegut Jr. is my vote. It's sitting here waiting for me to read next, so that'll make it easy on me. Also, I think I read something about this group wanting to read books that are made into movies. Well, there's a movie in the works.

message 17: by Erin (new)

The general idea of the group is book to movies, are you guys interested in keeping this format? And, anyone fans of Hornby or Capote, our next books might be theirs.

message 18: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (brandonbrendel) | 9 comments I haven't read any Capote, but I've been interested to do so. In Cold Blood sounds like fun. Well, maybe not fun, but a good read.

message 19: by Austin (new)

Austin I'm also new to the group, glad to be here.

Given the recent passing of David Foster Wallace, we could consider Brief Interviews With Hideous Men, which is also being made into a movie. It's a pretty grim book though, the only one of his I haven't been able to finish. Hornby and/or Capote would both be good.

No matter what we read, I'm psyched for the events. Counterpoint is a short walk from home, a nice (and rare) bonus in L.A.

message 20: by Erin (new)

I think "A very Capote Christmas" sounds like a good idea. December official book will be "In Cold Blood." Who needs to purchase the book? I can order them through counterpoint. Stay tuned I should have a meeting date set by the end of the week!

Counterpoint & Harmony (counterpointharmony) | 1 comments Correction: In Cold Blood meeting will occur in November. See new discussion topic for more details. Thanks!